Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my wally world lights mounted and my mechanic is going to wire them after new years. I got the 50 watt lights so his first question was "can your charging system handle the load?". Well, I had to admit that I really didn't know but I new a good place to find out.
So, has anyone had any problems with the system handling the 50 watt version of these lights?
Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wally World Lights

I have had 50 watt running lights on mine for a while now (this past spring) and havent had any problems except for a small wiring mishap.
I let the bike idle too long and the wires inside the running light housing got hot and I lost the ground, had to rewire and I dont let it idle too long with the lights on Low Beam. If I have to let it Idle I switch to High Beam.
If your lights are wired right they will not be on with your high Beam
They are not in my picture since I took it before installing them.
By the way I ride a 2006 1300 C
Dale

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wally World Lights

I had those lights for about 4 months now starting to have problems.They light up the road nicely but don't hold up very good.I put mine on with a switch and relay and made a set of brackets that bolt to the floorboard mount holes my lights are about 18 inches above the deck.I just got a set of Kur-2319 from D.L.P for 97.49 (killing me) nice heave light but no adjustment and a 20 watt bulb that sucks. I ride in the dark to get to work and I live in the woods so I really like my lights and do feel that cager's do see me better during the day I hope anyway. Good luck with your lights but don't be surprised if your find yourself looking for better made lights later on. You have made a good choice in adding more lights to your bike.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Wiring of wally world lights with High/Low

Here is how I wired my optronics, as the lamps are 50watts each they are very bright, so I wired them with a switch to run in either parallel or series or off, I used a relay that is triggered from the the headlight circuit in the headlight bucket so while starting the running lights are turned off as the stock head light are. I put the switch in the left side of the plastic neck cover just ahead of the gas tank.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I've had mine for a while now. The key thing to remember is that the 50 watt bulbs are 50 watts a piece. So its 100watts to your charging system. Which is not a problem as long as you remember the VTX 1300 only has about 364 watts and needs some of those to operate the bikes basic functions.

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I agree on the durability of these lights. Mine have rusted badly. They work fine, just cheap hardware. Do not use the nuts and bolts that some with them, they are junk and rust up right away. Replace them with stainless. I had to replace my bulbs once and it was tough since the housing and bezel rusted together on the inside. I plan on replacing them, not sure with what yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had mine since summer...love the extra light. Mine are rigged to be on all the time. I keep my bike in the garage so I don't have any rust or weathering. I have been in the rain a few times, but don't have any wear from it.

Don't forget to put a screw in the bezel, if you don't I heard others say they fall off eventually. Also, don't glue it - then you can't change the bulb.

I've also read where others have changed the bulbs to 20-25 watt. You may want to do a search on "wally lights", "driving lights" or "optronics" for more information.

Good luck-

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've had mine installed for over a year and have yet to have any battery/electrical related issues. I also have the GoodDeals stereo system installed and the battery/alternator seem to be able to provide enough juice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts