Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on running the wires inside my Super Radius Handlebars this winter. I have a shop manual with the wiring diagram.

Can anyone give me the benifit of their experience doing this? I couldn't find anything on the How To, Step by Step Board.

Any information like:
What gauge wire did you use?
Where is the best place to cut and splice?
Use wire nuts or solder?
Any "Be careful of ????" to be warned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
I was able to internally wire my Barons XTREME bars without cutting and splicing. I was able to remove the wires from the plugs, run them and reinstall the plug ends. The wires were just long enough to do this. It is very tedious removing the wires from the plugs, but so is cutting and splicing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm planning on running the wires inside my Super Radius Handlebars this winter. I have a shop manual with the wiring diagram.

Can anyone give me the benifit of their experience doing this? I couldn't find anything on the How To, Step by Step Board.

Any information like:
What gauge wire did you use?
Where is the best place to cut and splice?
Use wire nuts or solder?
Any "Be careful of ????" to be warned about?

Thanks
Don't remember what gage I used, definitely solder and shrink wrap, (1 they make a smaller lump, 2. you WILL pull a crimp loose), stagger the splices so they are not all at the same place, I put the splices in the middle so the wire color code was right on both ends when done, lots of lube, oh yeah make sure there are no sharp edges on holes in bars good luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Most of the wires in the factory harness are 20 gauge, a few are 18 gauge, you can tell by looking at them. I used the same gauge wire as the factory used to extend my harness. I staggered my cuts so there wouldn't be a wad of splices all in one spot. I soldered and used heat shrink wrap for every connection. Use more length than you think you will need, you can trim it off after you fish your harness through your bars and before you solder the connectors back on that go in the headlight bucket. I used lots of silicone spray. This is not hard to do just tedious. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
internal wiring

definitely soder and use heat shrink. i went to dealer (have good relationship with), they gave me some switches off a wing they had replaced. I cannabilized the wiring, color codes were close enough and made splicing simple. shops keep old stuff like this around for repairs, most will part with some. I worked in Hon-Yam shop, it keeps your customers happy and costs zilch. but some dealers are *##$, so ask around. it's not that hard, just time consuming. ride safe-tipper :doorag:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Home Depot sells grease to fish wiring through conduit. I just used regular grease but it was messy and stank. Greatly reduces the chance of fraying a wire in the process. I fed a wire hanger through the bars, attached the wires to it, greased it up, and pulled them through.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Go to the electric store and get some regular wire pulling lubricant. It don't stink, washes off with water and depending which one you buy most will evaporate, but some will be there if you need to remove the wire later. I too, would recommend that you solder your joints and use some heat shrink, the vibration of the bike will cause problems later on if you do not and that is not a very accessible place to revisit.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I took all my wires for each control, took the ends that were going to be soldered to the harness and started twisting them. Then I put shrink tubing on them and heat shrank it. Keeps the wires very tight together and then you can pull the entire bunch through no problem or at least I didn't have any problems.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts