Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 1800S and am considering swapping my spoke wheels out for solid wheels. I originally assumed that wheels from any year R or N would work, but now I have doubts.

I am looking for information as to which years are really interoperable.

I have been researching the rear wheel first to see which years will fit and I find it confusing. The proper P/N for a 2006 1800R/N is 42650-MCV-R10

I have found that this wheel is the same for:
1800C from 2005 thru 2007
1800T from 2007 thru 2008
1800R from 2004 thru 2006

I have found similar numbers from various models and years, for example:
42650-MCH-010 which appear to fit R & C before 2004
42650-MCV-R30

Does anyone know which of these wheels could be mounted onto my 2006 model S to replace my spoked wheels.

I am also looking for the front wheels that I could use, but I am pretty confused from just looking at the rear wheel.

Are there known rules of which wheels will fit which models and years?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As far as I know, any year rear wheel, VTX1800, will work except for the F model. Any year front wheel will work except the C and F. Any year front or rear from an R, T, or N will work without issue.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
As far as I know, any year rear wheel, VTX1800, will work except for the F model. Any year front wheel will work except the C and F. Any year front or rear from an R, T, or N will work without issue.
No need to cite an exception for C or F. They will still swap and still fit. But the bolt pattern for brake rotor on spoke wheel is smaller diameter so you gotta address that difference too. I believe there are some sticky threads in the How To pages that spell all this out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, this is good information. I know where I can buy a rear wheel from a 2003 1800 C for a good price. I think I will pick it up and keep looking for a front wheel.
I was hoping you guys had the straight dope on wheel intetchange.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
No need to cite an exception for C or F. They will still swap and still fit. But the brake rotor on spoke wheel is smaller diameter so you gotta address that difference too. I believe there are some sticky threads in the How To pages that spell all this out.
Thanks for pointing that out Dud.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Here is a related thread where guys exchanged wheels; one guy had spokes and wanted cast, the other guy had cast wheels and wanted spokes. They had no problem.
https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/6-vtx-1800-tech-board/203-1800-retro-wheel-swap.html

So, when it comes to rear brake rotor, the calipers don't need to change because the OD and thickness of the rotor is the same. But since the wheel hub is different, the spoke-specific rotor is needed on the spoke wheel so that the bolt pattern fits, and obviously the same holds true for cast wheel and cast wheel rotor bolt pattern.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks dud, that clears it up for me. I may need to purchase a new rotor, if the wheel I buy doesn't come with it.
I really appreciate the good information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
steelhrd,
I sent you a PM yesterday to see if you are interested in working out a swap. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I swapped my spoked rear wheel on my 1800S for a cast wheel so I could easily mount a car tire on the cast wheel. I picked up a wheel from a C at a salvage yard. I have a stock rear spoked wheel and rotor from the 2006 1800 S in Kentucky and in the summer if anyone wants it, it's free to pick up. PM if you want it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts