Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fairly new VTX 1800C owner. Changed out the stock pipes for a set of Cobra Hi-Boys. I don't want to recreate the wheel, so I am looking for others that have previously experimented w/ the Cobra Fi2000 to find out what the best combination(s) of settings are. By the way, the pipes have the baffles removed and have been shortened 7", could this effect the settings? The bike currently runs pretty good on the defaulted settings from Cobra, except when at idle, as it tends to sputter (best description I can think of) at idle and when not accelerating. I am also planning to install an aftermarket air intake system in the very near future, so the sharing of any previous experiences you have with that would also be most appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
The word on the board that I have been reading is to leave the shipped settings. I have also read to put pot 2 and 3 to 0 and put pot 1 to just over 1. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
UofM-Fanatic said:
I am a fairly new VTX 1800C owner. Changed out the stock pipes for a set of Cobra Hi-Boys. I don't want to recreate the wheel, so I am looking for others that have previously experimented w/ the Cobra Fi2000 to find out what the best combination(s) of settings are. By the way, the pipes have the baffles removed and have been shortened 7", could this effect the settings? The bike currently runs pretty good on the defaulted settings from Cobra, except when at idle, as it tends to sputter (best description I can think of) at idle and when not accelerating. I am also planning to install an aftermarket air intake system in the very near future, so the sharing of any previous experiences you have with that would also be most appreciated.

Thanks!
send it back or throw it away is the best but...........if you want to keep it all the pods turned OFF yes OFF like you do not have it installed for the 20th time :roll:
and then add just a weeeeee bit low

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Genius! With all your go fast knowledge, maybe you should put out your own products ... Hah! If you don't have anything productive to add ... keep your comments to yourself 'fermunda-cheese".

For anyone with educated advise, please respond. Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I agree with you that it is a shame that people take it upon themselves to flame someone when they have a question regarding the FI2000 or the TFI (do a search for posts by Bropane and you'll see where all the animosity comes from). Johnnycheese is probably one of the most knowledgable tuners here on this board, but he can have an attitude problem sometimes, just like everyone else here including me. Don't take it personally.

That being said, I'll try and help you out. If the bike is spluttering then that probably means that you have the low end pot turned up too high. Turn it back to 0 then work your way up a little at a time. You'll have to ride it inbetween adjustments to see if things got better. Unfortunately there aren't any magical settings that will work for every bike. You just have to play with it a little. As long as you feel that the bike is running good when accelerating then the low end pot is the only one that'll need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Below is the default settings outta the box. What I did first was solder the connections (dont use the clips) and zip tied the unit to the fuse holder under the right side cover. This makes it easy for a quick adjustments out on the road.

For 'my bike' the left pot is perfect at 4.5. If I move it to 4, surging at low speeds starts to return. If I put it to 3, I can hear little pops and the surging is worse. The middle pot seems to work well on 2. If I shut it down to 0, the acceleration doesnt 'seem' to be as good. It still pulls hard, but a setting of 2 'seems' to be a smoother hard pull. The 3rd pot is set to 0.....

Every bike is gonna be different. Some maybe good at 1, 0, 0...others may be good at 6, 4, 0. You 'could' start at 0, 0, 0 and start moving the pots up until the symptom your experiencing is gone. Make small changes, and do each pot one at a time starting with the left.

My settings of 4.5, 2, 0 still give me upper 30's to low 40's (MPG) depending how I ride, and the driveability and smoothness is very noticeable.

Hope this helps! Larry

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the information VTX_cruiser! I am new to this fuel injection thing, so any previously gained knowledge due to experimenting is most appreciated. My bike accelerates and runs well, it just sputters in "no-load" situations. I'll give your advise a shot this weekend.

As for Johnnycheese ... I just don't tolerate arrogance/cockiness very well. I thought the whole purpose of this board was to help others. If he is that knowledgeable ... it seems as though he could've came up w/ an educated answer vs a smart assed comment.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
UofM-Fanatic said:
Thanks for the response Genius! With all your go fast knowledge, maybe you should put out your own products ... Hah! If you don't have anything productive to add ... keep your comments to yourself 'fermunda-cheese".

For anyone with educated advise, please respond. Thanks!
I have the 2 pot Fi2000, which really isnt much different than the 3 pot. Anyway, I have a 1800 N with Roadhouse Slip ons and the X cutout air box cover. The settings that worked best on MY bike are as follows.

I will give these in "clock position" rather than the numbers on the unit.

With the opening into the cover at the bottom and starting with the pot on the left, mine is set to the "5:30" position. The pot on the right is set to the "3:30" position.

These settings gave the best performance by seat of the pants feel but I can tell you it did run rich at idle, you could smell it. I came up with these settings by riding and changing postions on the pots several times then riding more and so on. If I made changes I would either get decell popping or the bike would fall off flat with WOT.

Now to go a step further, I just took my Fi2000 off and replaced with a PCIII USB and used a map from Dynojets website that matched my bike mods pretty close.

The rich smell at idle is gone and the bike feels like I added 20 HP to it. Throttle responce is GREATLY improved, fuel milage is MUCH better and the bike just seems to run much smoother.

I think Johnny just doesnt sugar coat it and tells it like he sees it. From my personal experience I would have to say the PCIII is a much better product and I wouldnt waste money on a Fi2000 for any other bike in the future.

I bought the Fi2000 to fix decell popping after doing some reading on the subject. I didnt really want to tinker with the bike at the time since it was all new to me, so this seemed to be the best option. All the reading I did indicated that with the PCIII, you would be adjusting, adjusting, adjusting, always playing with the settings trying to tweak it in or would have to get a custom map made. This was not the case, the downloaded map works very well. Now a days, I like having the option of tinkering with the bike and I wanted to get the best performance I could, so I switched over to the PCIII, which allows you to not just ADD fuel, but take fuel away and at various RPM.

Use what your comfortable with, the Fi2000 I had served its purpose for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts