Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This one arrived in today's mail.

Extra-nice Oregon motorcycle license plate.

There was a note in there that said "Saw on FB that you needed one of these....... Bill "

I know I'm getting old, but I don't remember posting on FB.

Anyway, THANKS BILL !!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

OK, it's February, 2018.
MANY THANKS to everyone that has provided license plates !!!!!!!
It's been a GREAT year !

:pepper1::pepper1::pepper1:

UPDATE
Moto License Plates

Auto License Plates

Combined

·
Registered
532 Posts
UPDATE: July 1st, 2019.

The license plate wall is coming along quite nicely. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Donations are cheerfully accepted.

Nice. I wonder if those who donated their NY/NJ plates got in trouble. In NY/NJ you have to return plates, you don't actually own them. I guess you could report them lost, but when I lost one I had to submit a police report and the other plate in order to get new plates.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Nice. I wonder if those who donated their NY/NJ plates got in trouble. In NY/NJ you have to return plates, you don't actually own them. I guess you could report them lost, but when I lost one I had to submit a police report and the other plate in order to get new plates.
In Missouri, you have to submit a report for a lost or stolen tag, also. I just assumed that once they expired, nobody cares. Like, when you trade cars and don't transfer the tag. Or your car gets wrecked.

Maybe they moved to another state, and then (sometime later) swapped them out.
Maybe they came from a salvage yard.
Maybe somebody stole them.

>:)

One guy had a whole stack of license plates from all of the states that he had lived in. His company moved him around, a lot. So when you move to another state then ya gotta get their license plate.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In Missouri, you have to submit a report for a lost or stolen tag, also. I just assumed that once they expired, nobody cares. Like, when you trade cars and don't transfer the tag. Or your car gets wrecked.

Maybe they moved to another state, and then (sometime later) swapped them out.
Maybe they came from a salvage yard.
Maybe somebody stole them.

>:)

One guy had a whole stack of license plates from all of the states that he had lived in. His company moved him around, a lot. So when you move to another state then ya gotta get their license plate.
Yeah. NY and NJ supposedly will never let you move back and get another registration until you surrender or pay a fee (report lost/stolen with a police report) for the old plate.

Also, in NY, until you turn in the old plate, you can not cancel your insurance policy (insurance companies require proof of pate surrender). If you do not remain in good standing with insurance, you will get a ticket in the mail for not having insurance.

When you move, it really only will be an issue if you move back...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Why aren't you constantly using them on your own bike to avoid speeding fines? (my devious mind at work) Here in Australia we have to hand in our old plates if we trash the vehicle. It is only in the past couple of years now, the cops have numberplate scanners in their cars to automatically check rego numbers for rego paid. Scumbags used to steal plates off of someone else's car to do petrol drive offs without paying etc and the cops have days where they will replace two screws with security ones free of charge. Can you keep your plates when you take a vehicle off the road or are they copies?

·
Old Goat
24,218 Posts
Can you keep your plates when you take a vehicle off the road or are they copies?
I cant speak for the rest of the country...but in Tennessee u keep the plate...:thumbup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can you keep your plates when you take a vehicle off the road or are they copies?
Each state has different rules here in the US. NJ & NY you do not actually own your plates. You are supposed to turn them in when you sell the vehicle, or move them to your next replacement vehicle.

Usually people who move away do not realize they are supposed to mail them back in. If they never move back it is no issue, but if they move back to NY/NJ they will have to pay a fine before they can register a new vehicle or swap their license.

In the US, States issue drivers licenses, plates and have different rules on insurance. There is an agreement to allow out of state drivers licenses and plates across the US, but each state controls rules for people who live within their state.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
UPDATE: 02/12/2020

Thanks again to all that contributed. 8 more motorcycle licenses plates and the wall will be completed.

Thanks again !!!

·
Old Goat
24,218 Posts
OF COURSE I need another Tennessee license plate !

:):):)
Send me your address in a pm...I will go hunt up my Tn. MC... May have something special in car tag if I can find it

21 - 40 of 42 Posts