Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a big fan of this Site and all the helpful advice from Members. That being said this is my first post... be gentle. As many of you I have "The bug" to make my VTX "my own" and throw money at it with every chance I get. My current fascination is to have custom spoke Rims for the front and rear. I love the white-wall look with my Retro Cycle. Again many of you have run into the issue that I have with seemingly no one actually making a 17 inch White-wall tire (150/80R17 72H TL) for the front. (currently I have a white-wall ring on the front tire) I can only find a WW Tire for the weight rating of a 1300 and for a 16 inch Rim. I have the desire to have made a 16 inch spoke Rim and switch out from my current 17 inch Rim. That would leave me with a 16 inch on the front and rear. Can I make that change safely and how much will it affect performance or drive?
Lastly I'd like to relocate my horn to the left side with a nice chrome cover to balance out the right side Kuryakyn Hyperchager placement. Who has ideas to what I can purchase to make that happen?

I thank you in advance for all the help. I'll post pictures of my final build upon completion. The picture I included is where I'm at currently.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hello, I'm a big fan of this Site and all the helpful advice from Members. That being said this is my first post... be The picture I included is where I'm at currently.

View attachment 175405
;)

Looks nice in black.

You have a giant leak somewhere.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good luck finding white walls for the 1800. If you do, please let us know.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
You might have to design and make your own horn bracket. I wanted my Wolo to be low and towards the left front of my radiator, so made a couple pieces of 3/4 angle painted black and bolts to the inside of the engine guard/ shifter bolt.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If you get hold of an 18S front hub you can have it laced to any (almost) rim you'd like. The hub is required to maintain correct alignment between calipers and rotors. A 1" change in rim diameter = a .5" difference in axle height. Not enough of a change to alter rake/trail in meaningful way. My opinion.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
No horn in the stock area does look better.

nohorn.JPG

·
Super Moderator
63,732 Posts
Look at your picture closely at the front wheel and rotor, to the rear wheel and rotor. On the front 17 wheel, you see a little bit of the wheel behind the huge rotor. You say you want a 16 inch front wheel? Look at your back wheel and see how you can barely see any of that wheel behind the rotor. That is what your front wheel will look like if you go to a 16inch rim. If I were going to have a custom wheel made for my front, I would go to an 18 inch wheel, otherwise you're just wasting money IMO

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I feel your pain in trying to source the right look and the right combo....

I agreed to have HDWheels.com make me a custom front wheel and would never go that route with the business again. I ended up not getting exactly what I wanted for a number of reasons, originally wanted an 18 in ch chrome hoop and fat black spokes.......so after a lot of back and forth, I had to settle on sending him a stock hub and he laced it onto a new chrome hoop with same lace pattern with black twisted (not-fat) spokes.

So far having to settle on something hat was just "okay" ad also finding out the hoop started bubbling with corrosion after the first year, conveniently past the warranty......I would say you may be more pleased with aftermarket wheels that fit our bikes and find another size tire that suits you.......I went with the 130/70-18.....would love to get a 150/60-18 on it but the width is too narrow and I am certain were I to have considered that before I would have at least gotten a 4.5 inch wide hoop.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts