Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the adjustments to the A/F screw (2 1/2 turns out) and put in the Champion RA8HC plugs and now I do not need any choke to start when cold and it runs beautifully after about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes (Ocala,FL and 90 degrees). The second part of my issue is still not resolved. After running around for a while (well into full operating temp), if I stop to take a break and go to fire the bike up after 15-20 minutes, it sputters and misses when giving any throttle, and sometimes dies. If I start it and let it sit two or 3 minutes (even longer than it takes from cold), it will run fine.
I have a K&N air filter (no changes to box), Cobra Classic Slash cuts, 2 1/2 turns out on A/F screw. This is frustrating and hopefully someone has an answer. I have not ventured into the Scar mod (due to limited mechanical knowledge), and have not yet checked the battery cable, but the cable is next. It would suprise me if it is the cable, because it runs well once going and the roughness is limited to hot restarts, but then again, there are a lot of posts about the wildest things that also seemed unrelated that were solved by tightening a loose cable. Thanks in advance for any info anyone out there can provide. :tools:

·
Registered
640 Posts
you may be too rich on the bottom end(a/f screw). don't know why you originally decided too adjust it. they are usually a bit lean from the factory. but it doesn't take much to over adjust either. just blindly adjusting too 2 1/2 turns out aint the answer. you need too adjust it with the bike warmed up and running.

idle the engine up with the idle adjust screw too about 1100 or 1200 rpms and then adjust the a/f screw for max rpm's. once you have the max rpms out of it, then idle it back down with the idle adjust knob. ride it and then determine from there if any more adjustments are needed. all the adjust you need is for warm engine smoothe transition from idle too whatever speed you are trying to obtain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just spent a weekend tracking down power loss on the interstate. After checking plugs, wires, cleaning rust from grounds (minor), I went to tighten the battery terminals. I removed the computer module to get to the battery (turning it upside down). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the motorcycle would not start if it was upside down. Unfortunately, there is no mercury switch in the computer to prevent starting. Oops, that meant that the leads for the pulse generator had broken within the insulation. Moving it again broke through the insulation. Do a search on "Unusual 1300 Problem". I soldered in a 1 inch extension. Fixed the miss and I have increased highway mileage from 40 to 50 mpg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts