Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was riding down the interstate and my right side-cover flew off and I watched get smashed to pieces by several cars.

My question is, do you guys think Honda will replace it?

Also, would I have better luck taking it to the dealer I bought the bike from or a dealer closer to me? I didn't really like the guys I bought the bike from but I didn't know if a dealer that didn't make that sale would work with me. Both are close by so it's nots really a problem either way.

It's an '05 1300C with a little over 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That sucks! If the cover flew off right after you left the dealer. You MIGHT get a replacement. If not, they will say YOU took it off and didn't put it back on correctly. Either way, you better discuss it with the dealer you bought the bike from because I'm sure the other dealer won't do anything. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
all you can do is ask.
I had a problem with the chrome side cover that was my fault and they replaced it under warranty.
go ask em the worst he will say is sorry bout your luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VTXLAZ said:
you can buy them for around 39.99 i think, either ronayers.com or hondadirectline.com
I was looking to replace the stock body-colored one. I'd either pay $99 for the red one from HDL or $80 for two chrome ones. Not sure I like the chrome though.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I replaced mine for chrome because I think the chrome divides the front and rear nicely.

Depending on the color and model you have someone out here may have one they will part with if you have to purchase on. Wouldn't hurt to ask that too?

Tejas

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL I didn't put my 02 C model cover back on tight enough either about a month after bought it and I turned a corner andwatched the thing bounce on the road. So I bought the switchblade side covers, I have the Illusion blue and they wanted $93 for the stock one I think. Now I have some ghost flames on it too I need to get the picture with that on here now :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the dealer that I didn't buy the bike from and asked the guy about replacing the cover under warranty. He said probably not, but to come back when the service manager was there and ask him. Next I tried the dealer I bought the bike from. Talked to one of the managers, who surprisingly admitted to hearing of covers that just fell off. He asked wether I had purchased the extended warranty with the bike(I hadn't) and said that usually goes a long way towards getting smaller stuff taken care of. He said he would talk to his boss and see what he says since this is on the line of warranty coverage. As I watched them talk it over it appeared I was going to be out of luck, but surprisingly he said they'd take care of it. I don't think it's an actual warranty replacement. I think they just ate the cost of the cover to keep a customer happy which I really appreciate.

He kind of lost a couple of points when he asked if I had done my 600 mile check-up though and said that Honda wouldn't honor their warranty unless the dealer did the first service. As I understand it from reading this forum that isn't true. I realize he was only fishing for the chance to do the 600 mile service because that where they make their money and I would have preferred he just came right out and said it. I may have even let them do the valve check/adjustment since he helped me out with the cover. I already changed the oil at 600 and was planning on taking care of the valves myself. Not sure what I'll do now.

Either way, Im glad I didn't have to fork over the cash for the new cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts