Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know anything about hot water heaters for a home besides the fact that they heat up the water.

My problem is: The Pilot keeps going out at least once a day and I find this out when somebody wants to take a shower. :yikes::yikes::yikes: I am able to relight it but it is a pain knowing that at some point of the day or night it will go out again.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Do you have something nearby causing a draft? Is the guard installed at the bottom? Try shutting off the gas valve, re-opening it and re-lighting. This worked for my fireplace. Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same problem i think it my be your thermocoupler is going bad call a repair guy it should be like a 50$ part.

Todd

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Your problem is the thermocouple, and they cost about 25 bucks.

Before you replace, pull it off and scrub it clean with a wire brush. It may help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Your problem is the thermocouple, and they cost about 25 bucks.

Before you replace, pull it off and scrub it clean with a wire brush. It may help.

make sure there is no water leaking from the tank...check below look for any puddle of water or dampness this may be early signs of a leaking tank.....If all is dry then go ahead and change the thermocouple and that should take care of it....also like stated above try some fine sand paper and sand the thermocouple first.. if you need help call me...

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
How old is the water heater?? Yes it's more than likely the TC. Just replace it with a MTC with heavy duty springs LOL

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hold on a minute!!! Screw all that and call Ernie, he can hook a homey up, that's what he does for a living for cripes sake. DONE!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mario I called Ernie about this a month ago and the told me about cleaning the TC. I did that and it worked great for about a week then it started up all over again. I went to Home Depot and looked at TC and they are only $11.00. It looks like I will be replacing it this weekend. Next question is: Once the factory seal is broken to get inside is there something I can do to make sure it seals right again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Water heater problems

ON THE NEW WATER HEATER THE THERMAL COUPLE HAS A LIMIT SWITCH SOLDER IN A SERIES. ONCE THAT GOES WATER HEATER SHOT. CALL THE 1-800 # ON WATER HEATER THEY CAN SEND YOU THE CORRECT PARTS.
WE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW WATER HEATERS.
IF YOUR TANK HAS A BUTTON ON TOP OF WATER HEATER THAT SENDS A SPARK TO THE THERMAL COUPLE. THEN ITS A NEWER MAKE.
SEND ME THE MAKE AND M/N: OR GO ONLINE THERE A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH THESE NEWER SYSTEMS. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT VENT UNDER NEATH THE WATER HEATER CLEAN. (PRIMARY COMBUSTAL AIR):popcorn:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time Limits

Nope, I make sure I get a HOT shower. When it goes out my daughter is the one that get's the cold shower. :D You know this is a great way to put an end to the 30min. shower that teenage girls like to take.:agree: I almost don't want to fix it until after she leaves for the Navy in March.:idea:

Thx Mark for the PDF file. I didn't even tell you that it was an American Water Heater.......How did you know.....have you been on my house when I wasn't here?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Age

It has been in the basement for 5 yrs and it is not a newer model. I would put in a service call to ANYCLIMATEHVAC but the owner is a horny HVAC guy and if he saw my neighbor he would forget about what he came over to do.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had the same problem with my water heater last summer, i changed the t-couple in mine and it still would go out from time to time, turned out it was going out due to water dripping on it from a small rust hole in the tank. I only found that out after it became a large rust hole followed by a large puddle on my basement floor. now $500 or so later i have new water heater from sears. went through the same thing with my furnace monday, didn't have to buy a new furnace though. it was cold in my house so i turned up the thermostat and after a half hour the temperature had dropped in the house and the furnace never kicked on, went down to check the pilot and of course it was out, so i tried to relight it, it wouldn't stay lit, went to lowe's and spent $10 and change on a universal t-couple 24 inches long, put it in and had the same problem, by then it was 11 0'clock sunday night so i brought the space heater in the garage into the bedroom, monday morning i called artlip and sons, being that i am a car mechanic and not much of a furnace guy, and had them look at it, took 2 hours off of work monday morning. turned out my gas valve had gone out, so $400 later i have a new proffesionally installed gas valve and a toasty house.:roll:

·
Registered
669 Posts
It has been in the basement for 5 yrs and it is not a newer model. I would put in a service call to ANYCLIMATEHVAC but the owner is a horny HVAC guy and if he saw my neighbor he would forget about what he came over to do.
call artlip and sons, they did me right, came right over in like an hour the monday after christmas. don't call youngren's, they wanted $300 just to come out before looking at anything

·
Registered
259 Posts
neighbor

big daddy,

I tend to forget a lot of things when I see your neighbor!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Thx Mark for the PDF file. I didn't even tell you that it was an American Water Heater.......How did you know.....have you been on my house when I wasn't here?[/quote]

I'll never tell.......when did you say she's leaving?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Water heater

If the heater is an older style that allows you to relite the pilot with a match then put in a new thermocouple. The bigest problem is that the pilot has picked up some lint/dirt and is not burning hard enough. You have to remove the burner assembly and wash it out (main burner and the pilot burner) dry or blow it out. Reassemble same, check for leaks and relite. Should solve the problem. [email protected]

TomC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts