Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I enjoy waving at anyone on a motorcycle, scooter, trike, three wheeler, and especially wide eyed little kids! I love how I get "thumbs up" from kids at bus stops, in their car seats inside minivans, and in parking lots with their parents. The excitement and smiles they get when they see motorcycles reminds me of my own love for these motorcycles.
When you wave back at a kid, you could be helping to keep the motorcycle culture around in future generations!

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I enjoy waving at anyone on a motorcycle, scooter, trike, three wheeler, and especially wide eyed little kids! I love how I get "thumbs up" from kids at bus stops, in their car seats inside minivans, and in parking lots with their parents. The excitement and smiles they get when they see motorcycles reminds me of my own love for these motorcycles.
When you wave back at a kid, you could be helping to keep the motorcycle culture around in future generations!

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!
So true. I ones I remember the most were the ones that covered their ears when I was about to start it up. But those Gold Wings were whisper quiet and they loved that.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
The posted article was entertaining in how it captures some people's attitude that by waving, you're somehow endorsing that rider/bike and what they 'represent'. It nails the narrow minded bigot behavior of a small minded person pretty good.

If someone waves at you, you wave back if you can be it on the street or on a bike. It's basic curtsey.

I don't always initiate a wave, but my experience has been most riders wave back whatever they're riding. If they don't, I don't get an attitude and pigeonhole the rider/bike into some group to dislike because some magic number of non-waves was exceeded, placing them in my, I hate XYZ riders category. :roll:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
When I'm out riding, I wave at every biker THAT I SEE (Spike!!) I initiate most of them, but occasionally another biker will beat me to it. If they don't wave back,, no problem with me. And I DO wave at Harley, BMW, Crotch Rocket, and Gold Wing riders, along with everyone else... LOL. Even taught my wife and grand-daughter the proper "low" wave, instead of the homecoming queen wave!!!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I usually don't wave, I see the whole thing as a bit juvenile as demonstrated by the original poster who profiles people based on the motorcycle they are driving.

But I will wave at girls on the side of the road if they are pretty enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I usually don't wave, I see the whole thing as a bit juvenile as demonstrated by the original poster who profiles people based on the motorcycle they are driving.

But I will wave at girls on the side of the road if they are pretty enough.
Of course you know that last one could get you other results. :surprise:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The posted article was entertaining in how it captures some people's attitude that by waving, you're somehow endorsing that rider/bike and what they 'represent'. It nails the narrow minded bigot behavior of a small minded person pretty good.

If someone waves at you, you wave back if you can be it on the street or on a bike. It's basic curtsey.

I don't always initiate a wave, but my experience has been most riders wave back whatever they're riding. If they don't, I don't get an attitude and pigeonhole the rider/bike into some group to dislike because some magic number of non-waves was exceeded, placing them in my, I hate XYZ riders category. :roll:
You do realize that was satire and has been spread from one MC forum to another for several years. :roll:

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Yep, the same here-but they don't enforce it.
Here scooters are required to be 'registered' but instead of a license plate they affix a sticker to the back of the scooter.

They will stop you if your scooter is not showing the sticker ..... if you have no valid license you get a double whammy .... and lose the scooter.

Wasn't always that way and the sticker thing was a way to insure the scooter owner had a valid drivers license....... no license = no sticker.

Not to say you could not have a friend get you a sticker, I am sure that happens.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Folks up this way just stopped waving. There's no brotherhood or camaraderie like years ago.

If someone waves to me, I'll wave back, I stopped initiating it though.
I didn't have a bike when I lived in Maine back in the late 80's, but I rode through New England last fall. Very few bikers waved.

I've noticed in Ohio that it's becoming less prevalent unless you're in a large group. It's seems other bikers are more likely to wave at a large group than a single rider.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
I didn't have a bike when I lived in Maine back in the late 80's, but I rode through New England last fall. Very few bikers waved.

I've noticed in Ohio that it's becoming less prevalent unless you're in a large group. It's seems other bikers are more likely to wave at a large group than a single rider.
When I started riding, every bike waved. Rockets, Wing's, HD's, Metric's. It didn't matter what you rode, it was just *THAT* your rode. Over the years it turned into a "I'll only wave to cruiser bikes" or whatever style bike you rode. Then it was "I'll only ride to bike's like mine." Now it's almost to a "I won't wave to anyone."

Very few share the wave any more.

I have ideas: self absorption, lack of socialization, the "me first" generation. Whatever the reason, it's kind of a sad social commentary.

I got tired of throwing the wave to be ignored. Suppose that makes me part of the problem. :lol: :oops:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I can't believe the wave is so analyzed. If you want to wave, then wave. I almost always wave. Sometimes I don't realize a cyclist waved at me until they rode past, because I probably was just enjoying the focus of my ride. I rarely pass a rider in this part of the country that doesn't wave. Guess we're just friendly.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
You do realize that was satire and has been spread from one MC forum to another for several years. :roll:

If you re-read my post, you will realize that I gave a nod of appreciation to the satire article while giving my opinion about the subject of the satire, that is real riders making a big deal out of who they wave at, or who doesn't wave at them.

No need for the rolling eyes, you just didn't read my post well enough.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
If you re-read my post, you will realize that I gave a nod of appreciation to the satire article while giving my opinion about the subject of the satire, that is real riders making a big deal out of who they wave at, or who doesn't wave at them.

No need for the rolling eyes, you just didn't read my post well enough.
No, I read it well enough. It was written in the same mean-spirited, condescending tone that permeate all of your post.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Maybe Kentucky & Indiana are more behind the times than I realized. About 90% or more of the bikers here either wave back or initiate it before I do. And it doesn't really make much difference with WHAT they are riding. I guess we are fortunate here!!!!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Here scooters are required to be 'registered' but instead of a license plate they affix a sticker to the back of the scooter.

They will stop you if your scooter is not showing the sticker ..... if you have no valid license you get a double whammy .... and lose the scooter.

Wasn't always that way and the sticker thing was a way to insure the scooter owner had a valid drivers license....... no license = no sticker.

Not to say you could not have a friend get you a sticker, I am sure that happens.
Here a scooter must be under 50cc and be capable of no more than 70KM/H (~45MPH) in order to be operated by a person having a minimum of a Class 7 (learners) license. Anything bigger than that is considered a motorcycle and requires a Class 6 license (motorcycle endorsement) in order to operate. They do get a motorcycle plate and must be insured to be registered, and must be registered (carry the plate). Riding unregistered and uninsured carries the same penalties as riding any motorcycle thus. My kid is 14 and got his first scooter (Aprillia SR50R 2 smoker). Insurance is a real bear to find for kids this age. It's good though as he is learning to ride safely and is not allowed (by law), to enter a roadway exceeding a posted speed limit of 70KMH. That means he can't leave town and can't get on the highway, so he's reasonably safe.

*Edit*
For the record, he does wave at every motorized 2 and 3 wheeler if he has the chance just like his old man.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts