Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how's it going? I'm looking into the idea of welding the front end to get the rake i "really" want, and of course so that the infamous trail numbers are descent.

I have a 6" degree trple tree set coming in here within the next week from VTXreme. Along with 3 " spiked extensions and 11' rear progresive shocks. So i got what i need for the 6 " degree rake... I think. But if I'm not mistaken I've heard that you can get someone to weld the front end to get that extra rake. I imagine i would need to get longer brake lines and maybe longer forks???? Correct me if I''m missing anything Please i need to know it all since the kind of person i am it's just a matter of time or money before i do it.

2nd , the funny thing is I live in Dallas, not a small town, so you would think finding someone to weld my frame would be fairly easy with the dozens of chopper shops around..... But no! nobody wants to touch a "metric"... Go figure....

My question is......Do i need to have "Motorcycle shop" do the work since they would be more qualified. Obvoiusly. Or can i get a certified welder to do the work and just give him the demensions of the stock rake and what i actually want....????

I hope i don't sound ignorant.. It's just that being my First year riding everything about motorcycles is news to me. I appreciate any help i can get.

I want to be an Easy Rider Too!! LOL :b2b:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
A motorcycle shop will have more experience with doing it right! The biggest concern is keeping the neck in perfect alignment when welding the frame. Most chopper shops have some sort of frame jigs to do this. A plain jane welder won't and probably won't build one for a single job. If the neck is not perfectly straight the bike will pull to one side by itself.

If you are going with a raked neck and trees I'm assuming your wanting to have at least 45*-46* of rake. Those 3" extensions will be too short! Mine's at 45* and my forks are 4.5" longer than stock.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Many years ago (back when a 750 was a really BIG bike), I had a Honda 350 four cylinder that they cut the front tubes, added some kind of tube inside it, then welded the whole thing.

I think they called it stretching the frame, but it did the same thing as adding the tree's with the rake. Not really sure, but I don't think you could buy them off the shelf back then.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
They did it all the time in the 70's. Cut the neck from the bottom, push the forks out and weld in gussets. :thumbup: I called a shop in town and asked what it would run for another project I have. They told me $500 and the bike had to be just the frame to go on their jig. So there's a huge job taking it all down and putting it back together. But I'm sure others may do it differently.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
They did it all the time in the 70's. Cut the neck from the bottom, push the forks out and weld in gussets. :thumbup: I called a shop in town and asked what it would run for another project I have. They told me $500 and the bike had to be just the frame to go on their jig. So there's a huge job taking it all down and putting it back together. But I'm sure others may do it differently.

You can't just simply cut the bottom and push out the forks on a VTX, might work on other bikes but not a VTX. The top triple tree and handlebar will make contact with the gas tank. All VTX's with raked necks that I have seen have extended backbones by at least an inch. When I was looking around I was getting quotes of $600-$800 but that's in Cali where everything is expensive. In the end I decided to go with the bolt-on kit I have on it now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A motorcycle shop will have more experience with doing it right! The biggest concern is keeping the neck in perfect alignment when welding the frame. Most chopper shops have some sort of frame jigs to do this. A plain jane welder won't and probably won't build one for a single job. If the neck is not perfectly straight the bike will pull to one side by itself.

If you are going with a raked neck and trees I'm assuming your wanting to have at least 45*-46* of rake. Those 3" extensions will be too short! Mine's at 45* and my forks are 4.5" longer than stock.
Did you have to get a whole new set of longer forks for that? or are those extensions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many years ago (back when a 750 was a really BIG bike), I had a Honda 350 four cylinder that they cut the front tubes, added some kind of tube inside it, then welded the whole thing.

I think they called it stretching the frame, but it did the same thing as adding the tree's with the rake. Not really sure, but I don't think you could buy them off the shelf back then.
Yeah a co worker was actually telling me a story about he had a 750 that was rake the hell out....good story BTW.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
76VTX and Dumcomputers, what exactly do i need to be asking?? I'm telling you these guys down here won't touch it?? One of them mentioned something about the frame being alluminum and that it was Way harder to weld.

The others just said no metrics. again what should i be asking for??

The way i put it is "Hey man i have Honda VTX and i wanted to cut the neck to give a rake and the reply is obvoius by now...go figure.:(

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Did you have to get a whole new set of longer forks for that? or are those extensions?

No extensions, stock forks legs. On my kit fork length is adjustable, like the ones Kewlmetal makes for Victories. They side up and down the upper adapter and you clamp it down to how long you want them. Don't know why but a guy recently bought the same kit and got the old design with actual fork leg extensions...so they either went back to the old design or had old stock.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I know someone that just cut the bottom out and angled it out more.
It is all in what you want your final product to be and the rake trail on how you will want it to handle.
Mine is 3 out and 2 up and handles great with my rake. My rake trail number is 5.5
And was cheaper than buying a 45 degree rake kit.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
You can't just simply cut the bottom and push out the forks on a VTX, might work on other bikes but not a VTX. The top triple tree and handlebar will make contact with the gas tank. All VTX's with raked necks that I have seen have extended backbones by at least an inch. When I was looking around I was getting quotes of $600-$800 but that's in Cali where everything is expensive. In the end I decided to go with the bolt-on kit I have on it now.
You CAN just cut the bottom and push the neck out with no issues. The red bike in my sig was done that way and I believe Lamonts bike was the same. Now you might need to change bars/risers, but who wants to rake out a bike and stick with stock bars :dontknow:

The cheapest way to do it would be to have the entire neck cut off and replace it with a billet steel HD style neck. That way you can get a complete front end in the length you want, cheaper than a set of 6* trees will run you for a Honda.

Neck cut off and replaced about $500 new neck $75-$100 and complete new frontend with raked trees $500-$800 depending on brand/style.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
76VTX and Dumcomputers, what exactly do i need to be asking?? I'm telling you these guys down here won't touch it?? One of them mentioned something about the frame being alluminum and that it was Way harder to weld.

The others just said no metrics. again what should i be asking for??

The way i put it is "Hey man i have Honda VTX and i wanted to cut the neck to give a rake and the reply is obvoius by now...go figure.:(

I understand why they don't want to touch it. They don't have experience with Metrics and don't want to deal with it. If for some reason their work fails it has lawsuit written all over it. Best to find a Metric shop but they are hard to come by and charge twice as much to do the same job. Not because they are crooks, but because they do half as much business as the American shops. I wouldn't want an amateur working on my bike, not on something as critical to my safety as the neck on my bike.

Hmm...doesn't the Kewlmetal kit look attractive right about now:lol: Went through all the same scenarios your going through right now. In the end if I cut my neck it would have costed me:

$800 cut/weld neck
$600 6* trees
$100 4" extensions
$300-$400 Modified Retro fork covers (*modified becuase they are too short)

Total = ~$1,900.

The Kewlmetal 45* kit with full length fork covers run $2,500 shipped. It was a $600 premium but I installed it in one weekend and is total reversible.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You CAN just cut the bottom and push the neck out with no issues. The red bike in my sig was done that way and I believe Lamonts bike was the same. Now you might need to change bars/risers, but who wants to rake out a bike and stick with stock bars :dontknow:
Are you sure it will work with every VTX model/style? 1300 instrument clusters are pretty big, and it would limit handlebar choices. I was trying to generalize things and keep it simple, you can get anything to fit with enough effort.

The cheapest way to do it would be to have the entire neck cut off and replace it with a billet steel HD style neck. That way you can get a complete front end in the length you want, cheaper than a set of 6* trees will run you for a Honda.

Neck cut off and replaced about $500 new neck $75-$100 and complete new frontend with raked trees $500-$800 depending on brand/style.

And I would have done exactly that if I could have found a shop locally to do it at that price. Sadly I could not find anything in my area and gave up trying.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hey how's it going? I'm looking into the idea of welding the front end to get the rake i "really" want, and of course so that the infamous trail numbers are descent.

I have a 6" degree trple tree set coming in here within the next week from VTXreme. Along with 3 " spiked extensions and 11' rear progresive shocks. So i got what i need for the 6 " degree rake... I think. But if I'm not mistaken I've heard that you can get someone to weld the front end to get that extra rake. I imagine i would need to get longer brake lines and maybe longer forks???? Correct me if I''m missing anything Please i need to know it all since the kind of person i am it's just a matter of time or money before i do it.

2nd , the funny thing is I live in Dallas, not a small town, so you would think finding someone to weld my frame would be fairly easy with the dozens of chopper shops around..... But no! nobody wants to touch a "metric"... Go figure....

My question is......Do i need to have "Motorcycle shop" do the work since they would be more qualified. Obvoiusly. Or can i get a certified welder to do the work and just give him the demensions of the stock rake and what i actually want....????

I hope i don't sound ignorant.. It's just that being my First year riding everything about motorcycles is news to me. I appreciate any help i can get.

I want to be an Easy Rider Too!! LOL :b2b:
Wild Card Customs in Haltom City will hook ya up. Call and ask for Jaxon.
817-831-9700
www.wildcardcustoms.com

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I cut mine and added fabricated tubes (allows you to go out, up or down) to go in the backbone for the 40* rake, added 6* trees and 4" extensions.....handles as good if not better than my stock raked 1800. Very happy with the ride quality.

I was told you can cut the bottom and pull it out for the rake and weld in a new piece. This would allow you to help keep the neck straight. You would have to cut up quite a bit since there are two backbone tubes attached to the neck. Not sure on a 1300 if there are backbone tubes or not......yet

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
dumbcomputers: I bet thats why the shops wouldnt do his.all

their jigs were for harleys. I heartily agree,a certified welder + the proper jig.Welding heat could easily warp things out of alignment.Isnt there specialty shops that make up the 45 deg he wants ? What about the Furys Triple tree ? If everything fits,wouldnt that give him what he wants ? Just something tossin round in my mind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No extensions, stock forks legs. On my kit fork length is adjustable, like the ones Kewlmetal makes for Victories. They side up and down the upper adapter and you clamp it down to how long you want time. Don't know why but a guy recently bought the same kit and got the old design with actual fork leg extensions...so they either went back to the old design or had old stock.

:agree:That does look nice. But way out my price range ...I like the way you rubbed it in though lol:joke:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know someone that just cut the bottom out and angled it out more.
It is all in what you want your final product to be and the rake trail on how you will want it to handle.
Mine is 3 out and 2 up and handles great with my rake. My rake trail number is 5.5
And was cheaper than buying a 45 degree rake kit.

Yeah i knew i had read somewhere it had been done. That's the beauty with fabrication. Now a days damn near nothing is impossible.:dontknow:

Nice Chop BTW

1 - 20 of 61 Posts