Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Nice! And yes on the natural high for sure. My first street bike was an '82 GS750TZ, I bought it in '85 when I was 17. Sure, I almost died a few times, but I didn't. And I never laid it down. That bike was fast. Not my pic (no shield or sissy bar on mine), but same paint.

Had a friend who came home with a brand-new Yamaha V-MAX about the same time and I drooled over those my whole life but never owned one. Was going to buy my Mr Max when the VTX's went on sale in '04 and changed my mind when I rode and then bought my leftover '03 1800C for $7995.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
I was quickest on my GS750E, in the 80's.

What a RUSH.

Then I got married, old fat and lost my edge. Pain hurts now, but I don't need to tell you that.

My buddy had the GS700E. Is that what you're thinking about? They had the GS700E and GS1100E about that time, I think. I worked for Gentleman Jim's Suzuki in Cincinnati at the time. Lot boy starting at 16, bought my used 750 at 17. He gave me a sweet deal. lol

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
My son bought a '94 VFR750 last spring. Gear driven cams, built to last! Beautiful bike.
At the time in the '80s I didn't appreciate the V4s. I liked the howl of the inlines as opposed to the roar of the Vs. At some point I began to appreciate the V4 music. Once in the pipe, there is something very raw about them. I love it!!
The 80's versions..
they were very compact.. powerful.. and not an easy engine to work on...

special tools needed for proper tuneup..

I hope I never need to go inside one again..

83-84 had major issues with camshafts...... replace many for customers...
all 3 sizes.. 500,750,1000.. my camshafts failed at 9,000 miles..
so I replace them with Honda Works cams and rockers.. not stock stuff.

yes engine had to be removed for camshaft replacements.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
My buddy had the GS700E. Is that what you're thinking about? They had the GS700E and GS1100E about that time, I think. I worked for Gentleman Jim's Suzuki in Cincinnati at the time. Lot boy starting at 16, bought my used 750 at 17. He gave me a sweet deal. lol
Mine started out just like this one;

Full exhaust, jetted, opened air box, bars, seat, and foot controls were modified and pushed rearward a bit. It had the new TSCC engine Suzuki was really proud of and for the day it held it's own. Like I said, I was never "fast" for more than a lap or two at a time, but we raced what we had. It was all about the fun. There were no trophies or cash, just bragging rights and broken parts. But it was worth it!

We ran at Race City here in Calgary when the road track was still new. The GS750 on the back of my '75 Dodge D100. Looked like the Beverly Hillbillies of racing when I showed up, but we had us some fun. Between races I'd put the lights back on it, and a plate and rode it to work.

Off of the showroom floor it was arguably the best looking standard available in it's time. The paint was incredible for a Japanese bike.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Nice, we're just a couple years apart on the models, I guess. His was an '85, I think. Looked like this:

Being me (and broke), I told him I was holding out for the 1100:

I see my pic above didn't "stick", here is the GS750TZ I ended up with. His was new, but mine was cheap. lol

My son is going to be 19 in a few months, I cannot imagine my thoughts if he had showed up with the above at 17. Because my parents first saw it when I pulled in the drive.

They knew I wanted one and where I worked, but I think they thought it would be a while. I was barely 17, too.

I have a daughter barely 17, I think I would throw up if she pulled up on a street bike.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Funny how time and Minds change.... 17 ... 35 ish....

when I started to ride.. NO SPORT bikes were made.. early 70's we made our own..

My Mother forbid me to ride..on my 18th birthday I got a CB77....

and knew I would be looking for a NEW place to live... she warned me for years.

she disliked the bike.. but let me stay home.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
My son got his VFR at 16. Had his own scooter at 14, he paid $600 for that and wrenched it back to safe and operable.

He had to ride with me until he got his safety course and then his certification (with the street bike), so I got to keep an eye on him. He never goes squid, and is pretty responsible.

I knew he was going to get a bike, whether his Mom was on board or not. I convinced my wife the best thing to do was give him a solid grounding in bike safety and responsible riding. Yeah, he's gonna play and screw up. We all did, but at least he has a way better grasp of safe motorcycle operation than I did when I started. Sometimes you have to prepare them for what they plan instead of keeping them from it. Of course that depends on the personality of the kids. My son has friends that shouldn't be allowed to operate a bicycle.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I lived on a bicycle... did a ton of tricks... had many injuries....

I would and could jump almost anything......
I lost the number of bicycle Frames I have broken.. but many...

but once I got a motorcycle.. all tricks ended...

adding speed and weight.. I knew it could kill me.

MSF safety classes
MSF advance classes
One day superbike school
Three day superbike school..

motorcycling requires skills... I wanted to be the best I could be... and racing is just part of my being.
I refuse to be part of the DATA BASE of motorcyclist that died because of a simple mistake.
Yes, I have lost many motorcycle riding buddies ... to many.

50 years of riding... 393,000 motorcycle miles... NO GAPS..

fyi.. my VTX1800"F".. just turned 14.... this month... 85,8xx miles. from New.
it has NEVER been on a trip... just day rides...
the "F" has been to West Virginia, Georgia , South and North Carolina, Florida, Texas...
trailer-ed or back of my F250, Ram 1500

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
a step up from a bicycle and a go-cart engine..

remember .. at one time.. no 2 nuts and bolts interchanged.... they were a matched set...

and no replacement of one or the other.

that "IS" very old school....

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Gentlemen, I am saddened to read some comments about age slowing some down. I have mentioned before I ride the occasional Wednesday with the retired blokes. Most of them are 65 - 80 and most are FAST. Not for all day, but to follow a pair of mates in their 70s on their ducati's at 160-200kph on my 17 model GSXR750 giving it 9/10ths through the sweepers is a rush. You are still young enough to take life by the tail and give it a shake. Sure we all have our minor health problems and we cant jog for an hour at a time but even the frail can twist a throttle and get into the zone. Don't talk about how fast you used to be, live for today, and experience the horsepower that we all dreamed of having when we were younger. 1000cc bikes are cheap nowadays, and 200hp is what we all would have given our left nut for. However, if you are happy with quietly cruising along please continue. That is all folks.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
2018, the summer before I moved to Texas...

I went thru 3 sets of skid bolts under the foot pegs of my "F".. grade 10.9.. hardened.

I still 'hang-off' on my "F" as well. and still practice 'hanging off' when I can here.

and I still can pass them 'kids' on the 600 sport bikes thru the "S's.. on the back roads of Ohio...
so my ride stories... are not memories of old.... last Summer.

I am Young when I ride.. even if climbing off my "F" can sometimes cause a lot of pain.
hell, ask a few members over on the "CAFE' " they have rode behind me.. a few are half my age.

a VTX can carve a good curve.. you just have to know how..
as above.. I hang off,,, AND allow the foot pegs to fold back 45 degrees...''

I was forced to sell my 1000 Hurricane.. cause riding it 100 miles caused me to walk with duel canes for a week..
I have had 4 back operations... just to be able to walk. not from motorcycles.. to make that point CLEAR... work accident

<< 2017 >> was the last time I was 'ON" the Nelson Ledges sports car course..

aka Track Day. with my "F".
to be clear.. I was born in 1951...... so I am OLD.
. and 50 years as a mechanic has KILLED my hands/wrists...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
9,473 Posts

This was my first bike. Man I loved that bike.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/members/albums/213858-smurfy71/2008-honda-vtx-1300t-16842-picture71386-vtx.jpg

in 1986 I was able to locate aftermarket body side panels Painted to match the bike... so no engine or frame could be seen.. more aerodynamic also.
one of these days .. I need to find that photo.. in the thousands I have..

with the seat pod and side panels.. it looks just like the Factory Honda Racers.. except for the exhaust, and numbers/decals :)

< side subject >

with a AMA racing ticket.. I did NOT have to attend the riders instruction meetings... ( about one hour ) each time I went to the track for Track Day..

I signed one form. and could go right onto the track after the inspection....:)
even thou.. I have never entered a real race..

but the ticket proved... I could have.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
The fastest, in a straight line, bike I have ever owned. I miss this one too.

FJ1100.jpg

That was one quick bike in it's day. A bit heavy for the track, but in a straight line ... WOW!

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
The fastest, in a straight line, bike I have ever owned. I miss this one too.

That was one quick bike in it's day. A bit heavy for the track, but in a straight line ... WOW!

Sorry.. my computer is not showing your photo...

year, make , model with be OK..:)

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Sorry.. my computer is not showing your photo...

year, make , model with be OK..:)
Sorry brother, sometimes they work and sometimes not. I think I fixed it.
Yamaha FJ1100

By 1990 the center cylinders were tapered and losing compression. Bored, Pistons, cams, valves, pipe and a few paychecks later, I had some serious horsepower at my disposal. Of course it wasn't the 200+hp bikes are making today, but it was fast!
As I remember it, on longer trips the seat area by the tank got hot enough to hard boil my delicate parts. I put sheepskin on the seat for longer trips so that I might father children in my future. It worked! I did. Lol

Lol, and now I ride a couch, and LOVING IT!!

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Sorry brother, sometimes they work and sometimes not. I think I fixed it.
Yamaha FJ1100

By 1990 the center cylinders were tapered and losing compression. Bored, Pistons, cams, valves, pipe and a few paychecks later, I had some serious horsepower at my disposal. Of course it wasn't the 200+hp bikes are making today, but it was fast!
As I remember it, on longer trips the seat area by the tank got hot enough to hard boil my delicate parts. I put sheepskin on the seat for longer trips so that I might father children in my future. It worked! I did. Lol

Lol, and now I ride a couch, and LOVING IT!!

my sport bike riding buddy. Ken D... a police officer..

he and I took ours to the Dragons tail.. his was a FJ1200..

I do not remember the year of the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
my sport bike riding buddy. Ken D... a police officer..

he and I took ours to the Dragons tail.. his was a FJ1200..

I do not remember the year of the bike.
The FJ1200 engine found a home in drag racing for some time. It was bullet proof!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts