Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent the weekend, out of town, at the WERA races, and I thought I'd share some impressions.

http://wera.com/

We've become quite the fans in the last couple of years, and have gotton to know several of the riders. A guy I work with races an RC51, in the heavyweight class.

Newbies (any class)..................

I have a lot of respect for these guys, and really have a lot of empathy for their difficulties. These are the guys that just got their racing license, and are on the track in heavy competition for the first time. They have to race, wearing a butt-ugly blaze orange shirt, so everyone knows who they are. They are required to finish two consecutive events, without falling, or causing a problem, before they can shed the shirt and get a permanent license.

Saturday, one of the newbies in the 750cc class came in too hot, down the front straight, panicked, and grabbed a handful of brake. It lauched him about 15ft in the air at 80+ mph, and he and his bike went tumbling. He walked (hobbled) away OK. It was still pretty scary.

Sunday, during the 600cc class, all 3 newbies in the class went down hard. It was like throwing the Christians to the lions. One piled up 2 other riders, which resulted in an ambulance ride.

Gotta hand it to these newbies......they really got heart. You really find yourself pulling for them to finish in one piece. :wink:

600cc Meatgrinder class (Superstock Novice) .................................

These guys are nuts. No way would I consider getting on the track with these guys. Each race had multiple accidents. As it was explained to me, and I've witnessed over the last couple of years, this class has a high percentage of the "street-stunt racer" types, who give sportbikes a bad name. It's the most cut-throat competitive, and dangerous, class out there. I think they set a new track record for injuries. The race was eventually red flagged. I suppose if you make it out of this class alive, and move to the expert class, you're greatest skill is avoiding trouble. :roll:

Minis (50cc, 80cc, etc.).........................

Next to heavyweight expert, this class is the most fun to watch. Grown men, some on the hefty side, competing with 12yr olds, on YSR50's, and NSR50's.....wide open tuck at 50mph. It's like watching the AMA pros in VERY slow motion. :D :D :D

On the other hand, you wouldn't believe how fast a CR80 will go, on racing slicks, and geared for the track. :shock: :shock: ....or how far over you can lean one, and stay stuck to the asphalt. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, if you get the chance, check out the schedule and get to a WERA race near you soon. It's great fun!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've been trying to find somewhere to run the 50cc miniGP type runs. Doesn't seem to be much around here. I hear there is a local track around here but can't seem to find any information on it. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Brian

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend!! Wish I had someplace close to watch the action. I might even consider giving it a try, It's got to be a blast!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VTeXan 1800 said:
I've been trying to find somewhere to run the 50cc miniGP type runs. Doesn't seem to be much around here. I hear there is a local track around here but can't seem to find any information on it. Looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Brian
Yeah...sadly there isn't much WERA racing west of the Miss. river, except for CA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts