Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinnk I am going to have my radiator shroud painted the same color as my tins. I have a 2006 1800N Titanium in color. I know that the color code is Y181P but what I would like some help with is where should I buy the paint from. When I did a quick search of the net the only place that I found is Color Rite. Is there another company I should purchase from? I do not want to spend a ton of money on the paint but I do want to buy good quality stuff. Also, about how much paint should I buy to paint the shroud?

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Honda uses US Paint for their motorcycles. If you want true OEM paint, find your paint code on the bike and go to this website and click on order form. It is not cheap paint.:yikes:
http://www.uspaint.com/honda/

·
Registered
92 Posts
When my Valk Interstate was vandalized, we converted it to a SuperValk... but still needed some of the parts painted. The guy who did the painting was able to match it exactly with a car/suv paint color. You may want to check and see if that's possible - It was alot cheaper in our case - (your mileage may vary)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
USPaint appears to be half the price of color rite and should match the bike perfectly.

Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
363 Posts
while us paint and color rite offer high quality products,you will be money ahead to use a paint that can be mixed by a local jobber. i:e; ppg and ici may actually have that color code and formula already listed in their library. if not,any paint jobber that has a spectrometer can take a picture if the paint and the computer will generate a formula.

more often than not,the formula is indistinguishable from the start but once in a while may require a little tinting, which any decent jobber or painter can do. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
USPaint appears to be half the price of color rite and should match the bike perfectly.

Thanks

Jeremy
Jeremy, let me check with my painter next week before you buy anything.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Check with Pony at www.crapmods4u.com .
He will send you a painted shroud with chrome insert.
His prices are extremely reasonable. ~85$ + shipping for new cover painted OEM color.
Good Reputation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can also take one of your tins to a PPG paint and supply store and their color matching cameras that they use nowadays are extremely accurate in matching colors. Could save you some bucks and get it local, and prolly right then.:thumbup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can also take one of your tins to a PPG paint and supply store and their color matching cameras that they use nowadays are extremely accurate in matching colors. Could save you some bucks and get it local, and prolly right then.:thumbup:

that is the exact same thing as this.....
while us paint and color rite offer high quality products,you will be money ahead to use a paint that can be mixed by a local jobber. i:e; ppg and ici may actually have that color code and formula already listed in their library. if not,any paint jobber that has a spectrometer can take a picture if the paint and the computer will generate a formula.

more often than not,the formula is indistinguishable from the start but once in a while may require a little tinting, which any decent jobber or painter can do. just my 2 cents.

·
co-sponsor
4,082 Posts

as others have pointed out, just take your bike to any local auto collision facility or paint supply (PPG, DuPont, etc) store. They can mix to match your paint. Your color is one of the easier colors to match. Instead of $90 for half a pint, you'll probably get a QUART for the same money from one of these sources.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'll wait to hear from you.

Thanks I will check this out.
Pony sounds like the deal to me and he can be trusted. Let me know because that would be less expensive for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts