Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say that my only real gripe about this ride is the absolutley horrible ground cearance issue. Opened here up today and of course here comes the corner...scrape. Turning into the gas station....scrape. Exit ramp loop.....scrape. Man, and some of you guys actually make it even lower! It's just too hard to ride this thing slow.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I also agree. I don't understand the lowering thing people do. Tried it once on another bike and it made it feel small like a kid bike and god scraped all the time.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Yea, Those "X"ers Lowering their Bike :roll: :roll: Well I am one and YES, I do scrape every now and then :wink: :wink: Oh Well!!

S

·
0 Posts
Lower it .. chrome it .. paint it .. tweak this .. shave that .. add this .. snip that .. all part of the vtx experience. Raising is fine too .. just watch for low tree limbs :)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Riffster said:
I gotta say that my only real gripe about this ride is the absolutley horrible ground cearance issue. Opened here up today and of course here comes the corner...scrape. Turning into the gas station....scrape. Exit ramp loop.....scrape. Man, and some of you guys actually make it even lower! It's just too hard to ride this thing slow.
I agree on both counts. I don't understand why people lower them even farther. Mine only has 3.75 inces of clearance now, sitting level. I'd like about another inch of ground clearance, but I've gradually adjusted my riding style. I take speed bumps very slowly, or avoid them completely, and I don't lean as far as I did on my Shadow, but that's a minor inconvenience when looking at all the advantages my Retro has over my old Shadow.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Stumpy said:
Lower it .. chrome it .. paint it .. tweak this .. shave that .. add this .. snip that .. all part of the vtx experience. Raising is fine too .. just watch for low tree limbs :)
Adding that P-4 will cause it to scrape even more!! :shock:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
BigV said:
Stumpy said:
Adding that P-4 will cause it to scrape even more!! :shock:
What's P-4?

Eddie

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
I lowered my bike 2 1/2"S in the rear and 1" up front, it's all personal preferance.
before:

after:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Eddie - P-4 = Proton 4. German Petes Intake for 1800's.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66069

I finally got my ride back together after the winter projects, one of which was chopped shocks (1.5"). I still need to get the fronts installed, but the lowered look just rocks! I will deal with the scraping and avoiding speed bumps. Here in New England, frost heaves will keep me off the "back" roads for a little while longer, but its a small sacrifice for the look I wanted.

Nate

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
BadX said:
I lowered my bike 2 1/2"S in the rear and 1" up front, it's all personal preferance.
Maybe the 1800 sits higher. If I lowered mine that much, I'd have about 1.5 inches clearance. It would drag just going down a road with normal bumps and patched potholes.

Eddie

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
eddiecohen said:
Maybe the 1800 sits higher. If I lowered mine that much, I'd have about 1.5 inches clearance. It would drag just going down a road with normal bumps and patched potholes.

Eddie
I have a 1300 also.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
? I still scrape but I'm at the very edge of my tire's performance when I do.... Have you installed a forward kit? That makes a lot of difference.

·
Registered
319 Posts
iCe said:
? I still scrape but I'm at the very edge of my tire's performance when I do.... Have you installed a forward kit? That makes a lot of difference.
I have Mapam forwards on mine and still scrape just as easily as before.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
To me it's simple: People change their bike to the look, feel, and ride that they like. It doesn't matter to me if I understand why or not.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
tricci said:
iCe said:
I have Mapam forwards on mine and still scrape just as easily as before.
Really... that bites.

I've had the LR Extremes (Retro) for a couple of years now. After a hard ride, with occasional scrapes, the wear marks on the tires go right to the edge. At least with the Dunlops and Venoms they do... I took it a lot easier when I was running Metzlers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Stumpy said:
Your comment reminds me of one of my granddaughter’s books: "Snug House, Bug House". :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts