Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I completed my ride from Redmond, OR to Hamlin, NY.
I started out on Monday the 13th with a 760 mile day to Bozeman, MT. The morning started a bit cold, about 45 degrees but it warmed up to about 72 and there was sun the whole way.
Day 2 was an 870 mile affair over 14 hours on the way to Sioux Falls, SD with a stop at Mt. Rushmore (before the protesters tear it down). This was a colder, darker morning but the sun came out and warmed things up.
Day 3 was a short 558 miles to Chicago and a stop at my sister's house. I beat the rain out of SD but it caught up to me in Minnesota and stayed a light rain the remainder of the trip.
Day 4 was 617 miles to my door. I started out with a light rain in Chicago and through Indiana. The sun poked it's head out in Ohio but Pennsylvania brought the rain back and New York had heavy rains. I thought about trying to wait it out but a stop at the gas station showed rain till past 8pm. No way I was sitting for 6 hours then finishing the ride in the middle of the night.

The trip was 2805.7 miles in all. I must say, I-90 through Idaho and Montana is beautiful. It may be an interstate but those mountains and views make up for it.

The bike is a 1998 Honda Valkyrie which my dad bought used in 1999 with 1500 miles on it. The paint job was done by my uncle in 2005. My dad put 60k miles on over 21 years. Now it's mine for hopefully another 20 years.

And now for a shameless plug. Part of this ride was to raise money to fight veteran suicide. I originally had a n 8 day ride with an event every day in the city I was stopping at. Unfortunately corona hit and made every venue cancel. It also drove the suicide rate to the highest it's been since the great depression. Those who are in trouble need help now more than ever. Please take a moment to help save a veteran's life. Every $10 in donations will enter you in a raffle for a brand new Ruroc helmet shipped straight from the manufacturer.

Screenshot_20200717-175142_Maps.jpg
20200711_075949.jpg
20200711_123351.jpg
20200713_054438.jpg
20200713_053249.jpg
20200716_172319.jpg
20200716_163932.jpg
20200717_172124.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nice bike, nice ride and a great thing you are doing.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Beautiful bike. Good for you with helping at risk vets. I've run through that section of I-90 (OR, ID, MT) and it is spectacular.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've run through that section of I-90 (OR, ID, MT) and it is spectacular.
If you can survive the boring landscape of Washington, Idaho is quite rewarding. That courte-alfrenchiestuff is a beautiful area.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Man, you brought my heartbeat up a couple of notches.

First: The ride was awesome.

Second: The Valk almost brings me to orgasm. Love the style and your paint is awesome.

Third: The cause is monumental.

I'd love to experience those temps right now in Texas. If i was not recovering from a broken arm I'd head out today.

Thank you Skant

Reactions: skant153

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
BTW: I did donate to the cause

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw that leroy, thank you very much. unfortunately there haven't been very many donations but that means you've got a pretty good chance to win the helmet!

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is a good ride. Oregon, Washington Idaho and (born in) Montana are my stomping grounds. There is a lot to see and I-90 covers some very scenic country.

Glad you made the ride for a good cause. I am a Veteran, and they need our help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only mechanical issues were the left shoulder and neck, probably because of my old war injury.

Oh, you mean the bike... It's a Honda, of course not. 65K on that goldwing opposed 6 is barely past the break in period.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
i saw that leroy, thank you very much. unfortunately there haven't been very many donations but that means you've got a pretty good chance to win the helmet!

I don't need the helmet. I just bought a new Neo Tech II. I didn't realize it was part of the program. If I get it they can award it to someone else.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do. If you win, I've also got a brand new, never worn fieldsheer deuce perforated leather jacket I've been trying to sell to raise money. I could send you that instead. I think it's an XL or 2xl

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't need the helmet. I just bought a new Neo Tech II. I didn't realize it was part of the program. If I get it they can award it to someone else.
I am not proud.. :p I will take your chances.. lol. (and I donated) I have been looking for a good helmet but haven't decided to pull the trigger.

Be well.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I have two jackets I don't wear that I received from Rider magazine for letter of month two different times. Maybe I can donate them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I started out on Monday the 13th with a 760 mile day to Bozeman, MT. The morning started a bit cold, about 45 degrees but it warmed up to about 72 and there was sun the whole way.
Day 2 was an 870 mile affair over 14 hours on the way to Sioux Falls, SD with a stop at Mt. Rushmore (before the protesters tear it down). This was a colder, darker morning but the sun came out and warmed things up.
Day 3 was a short 558 miles to Chicago and a stop at my sister's house. I beat the rain out of SD but it caught up to me in Minnesota and stayed a light rain the remainder of the trip.
Day 4 was 617 miles to my door. I started out with a light rain in Chicago and through Indiana. The sun poked it's head out in Ohio but Pennsylvania brought the rain back and New York had heavy rains. I thought about trying to wait it out but a stop at the gas station showed rain till past 8pm. No way I was sitting for 6 hours then finishing the ride in the middle of the night.

The trip was 2805.7 miles in all. I must say, I-90 through Idaho and Montana is beautiful. It may be an interstate but those mountains and views make up for it.

The bike is a 1998 Honda Valkyrie which my dad bought used in 1999 with 1500 miles on it. The paint job was done by my uncle in 2005. My dad put 60k miles on over 21 years. Now it's mine for hopefully another 20 years.

And now for a shameless plug. Part of this ride was to raise money to fight veteran suicide. I originally had a n 8 day ride with an event every day in the city I was stopping at. Unfortunately corona hit and made every venue cancel. It also drove the suicide rate to the highest it's been since the great depression. Those who are in trouble need help now more than ever. Please take a moment to help save a veteran's life. Every $10 in donations will enter you in a raffle for a brand new Ruroc helmet shipped straight from the manufacturer.

View attachment 175724 View attachment 175725 View attachment 175726 View attachment 175727 View attachment 175728 View attachment 175729 View attachment 175730 View attachment 175731

View attachment 175724 View attachment 175725 View attachment 175726 View attachment 175727 View attachment 175728 View attachment 175729 View attachment 175730 View attachment 175731
Really nice bike probably my favorite Honda ever made just love the look of the engine.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Man, I'm jealous. My MA-CA ride was south and west, and I swore one day I would go CA-MA north and east [that was the plan with this 1300 rebuild before the bottom fell out of everyone's summer with the 'rona].

I know you enjoyed the ride. Glad you made it in one piece. Please accept my post-ride donation.

Reactions: skant153

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you very much for your support.
This was my first long ride but it makes me want to take so many more. I'd like to take some time and ride the Pacific coast highway, us-1 and something across the south.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts