Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yesterday I completed my ride from Redmond, OR to Hamlin, NY.
I started out on Monday the 13th with a 760 mile day to Bozeman, MT. The morning started a bit cold, about 45 degrees but it warmed up to about 72 and there was sun the whole way.
Day 2 was an 870 mile affair over 14 hours on the way to Sioux Falls, SD with a stop at Mt. Rushmore (before the protesters tear it down). This was a colder, darker morning but the sun came out and warmed things up.
Day 3 was a short 558 miles to Chicago and a stop at my sister's house. I beat the rain out of SD but it caught up to me in Minnesota and stayed a light rain the remainder of the trip.
Day 4 was 617 miles to my door. I started out with a light rain in Chicago and through Indiana. The sun poked it's head out in Ohio but Pennsylvania brought the rain back and New York had heavy rains. I thought about trying to wait it out but a stop at the gas station showed rain till past 8pm. No way I was sitting for 6 hours then finishing the ride in the middle of the night.

The trip was 2805.7 miles in all. I must say, I-90 through Idaho and Montana is beautiful. It may be an interstate but those mountains and views make up for it.

The bike is a 1998 Honda Valkyrie which my dad bought used in 1999 with 1500 miles on it. The paint job was done by my uncle in 2005. My dad put 60k miles on over 21 years. Now it's mine for hopefully another 20 years.

And now for a shameless plug. Part of this ride was to raise money to fight veteran suicide. I originally had a n 8 day ride with an event every day in the city I was stopping at. Unfortunately corona hit and made every venue cancel. It also drove the suicide rate to the highest it's been since the great depression. Those who are in trouble need help now more than ever. Please take a moment to help save a veteran's life. Every $10 in donations will enter you in a raffle for a brand new Ruroc helmet shipped straight from the manufacturer.

View attachment 175724 View attachment 175725 View attachment 175726 View attachment 175727 View attachment 175728 View attachment 175729 View attachment 175730 View attachment 175731
Yesterday I completed my ride from Redmond, OR to Hamlin, NY.
I started out on Monday the 13th with a 760 mile day to Bozeman, MT. The morning started a bit cold, about 45 degrees but it warmed up to about 72 and there was sun the whole way.
Day 2 was an 870 mile affair over 14 hours on the way to Sioux Falls, SD with a stop at Mt. Rushmore (before the protesters tear it down). This was a colder, darker morning but the sun came out and warmed things up.
Day 3 was a short 558 miles to Chicago and a stop at my sister's house. I beat the rain out of SD but it caught up to me in Minnesota and stayed a light rain the remainder of the trip.
Day 4 was 617 miles to my door. I started out with a light rain in Chicago and through Indiana. The sun poked it's head out in Ohio but Pennsylvania brought the rain back and New York had heavy rains. I thought about trying to wait it out but a stop at the gas station showed rain till past 8pm. No way I was sitting for 6 hours then finishing the ride in the middle of the night.

The trip was 2805.7 miles in all. I must say, I-90 through Idaho and Montana is beautiful. It may be an interstate but those mountains and views make up for it.

The bike is a 1998 Honda Valkyrie which my dad bought used in 1999 with 1500 miles on it. The paint job was done by my uncle in 2005. My dad put 60k miles on over 21 years. Now it's mine for hopefully another 20 years.

And now for a shameless plug. Part of this ride was to raise money to fight veteran suicide. I originally had a n 8 day ride with an event every day in the city I was stopping at. Unfortunately corona hit and made every venue cancel. It also drove the suicide rate to the highest it's been since the great depression. Those who are in trouble need help now more than ever. Please take a moment to help save a veteran's life. Every $10 in donations will enter you in a raffle for a brand new Ruroc helmet shipped straight from the manufacturer.

View attachment 175724 View attachment 175725 View attachment 175726 View attachment 175727 View attachment 175728 View attachment 175729 View attachment 175730 View attachment 175731
Wow - what a ride is right! I've always wanted to get that far up north. I keep hearing how beautiful it is up there. Also, beautiful bike! I donated a little, myself - great cause!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for your donation.

You can take a look at some of what in my mind was the best part of the trip, I-90 through Idaho and Montana.
If I was to do it all again, I would have taken more time through the mountains and taken local roads. It was just gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Were you on Idaho state rt. # 12 at all. It follows the Payette river into Missoula, MT. Dang, it is beautiful country. I try to avoid the interstates (mostly) when on a long trip. Sometimes I take them for the 1st hundred or so miles in the morning, then off onto the State roads. I love stopping at local American Legions along the way. Always a gold mine for local info on where to stay and eat. And I have traded Post insignia with Posts as far away as Boise, Cody, and Key West. If you're a member, and ever get up Finger Lakes way in western NY, there is a post on NY rt. 14 at the top of Lake Seneca that is worth the trip. Huge beach on the lake, pool, golf course, and really good restaurant. And, best of all, great people.

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Registered
80 Posts
Were you on Idaho state rt. # 12 at all. It follows the Payette river into Missoula, MT. Dang, it is beautiful country. I try to avoid the interstates (mostly) when on a long trip. Sometimes I take them for the 1st hundred or so miles in the morning, then off onto the State roads. I love stopping at local American Legions along the way. Always a gold mine for local info on where to stay and eat. And I have traded Post insignia with Posts as far away as Boise, Cody, and Key West. If you're a member, and ever get up Finger Lakes way in western NY, there is a post on NY rt. 14 at the top of Lake Seneca that is worth the trip. Huge beach on the lake, pool, golf course, and really good restaurant. And, best of all, great people.
Agreed, I ran that route last month from Portland OR, over Hwy 12 and Lolo Pass into Missoula, around NW Montana and back . Hwy 12 is a great ride.

I-90 is pretty, but... it is still an Interstate. As many times as I have been over that road, I could almost run it with my eyes closed, it is nice to take some alternate routes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I didn't get off the interstate in that area. After Corona cancelled the events, this turned into a ride for time instead of fun. I had to get back to work because of deadlines. I would love to do the ride again and take much less interstate.

I'm a member of the vfw. I might have to drive down and check out that AL post. I've ridden around the wine trail so the wife could get trashed and those wineries had some great views.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts