Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a used bike for my 21 year old son to learn on (AFTER HE TAKES THE MSF COURSE!!) and so we can go on rides together. Naturally, he doesn't want what he considers an "old man" style cruiser but something sporty. On the other hand, I'm not about to put a new rider on a crotch-rocket.

So, today I came across a 2002 Kawasaki ZR750 which is supposedly considered a "sport cruiser". Has the sporty look my son wants but the insurance cost, etc of a cruiser. The bike is a one owner, always garaged with only 1800 miles on it. Looks brand new and the price is right for what i want to spend - $4900...according to some info I found on the web this model originally sold for $10,200.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about these bikes...thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I jsut sold my ZR750 last year and $4900 is way too much for that bike. They actually sold for around $5500 new. I bought mine from my brother when he went back to college and it is a fun bike. The engine is the classic 750 motor that Kawasaki has built forever and is almost bulletproof. Your vtx will leave it way behind but it is a peppy little bike. The carbs are set way lean to pass emissions and resetting the idle screws really helps to wake this bike up. The bike can be ridden long distance and is really not to uncomfortable unless you have bad hips. I rode mine on several 500 mile trips and except for my hip pain I was very comfortable. The handleing on the bike is pretty good. I has the zr750 which did not have a fairing. The ZR750s had a half fairing and it really added to the looks of the bike. One thing I did love on that bike was it's fuel tank. The fuel tank was close to 5.5 gallons and I could ride longer between fuel stops than my hips would let me. I could easily get 200 miles out of a tank of fuel. Check out www.zr-7.com as the bike has a website full of great information. Hope this helps you make a decision on your bike. For what it is worth my bike was a 2000 model and the stealer gave me $2300 on trade for a Suzuki C50 for my wife. The had the bike on the floor at $3500 and it went quick.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info. You're right, the price new was more like $5500. I think the other info I found must have been in euros or something. :D

I'm glad to know the bike can be "tuned" up. However, I'd just as soon keep it tuned down until my son gets some riding experience. Other than the price, it sounds like it might be a pretty good starter bike for him. And it does have the small fairing which dresses up the bike.

If you dealer listed your 2000 for $3500, I'd think $4250-4500 for a 2002 with only 1800 miles probably wouldn't be too much out of line. (I realize the dealer is going to make a profit on sale and that's ok with me....I just don't want to pay his rent for the month. :D )

·
Registered
468 Posts
texmex, I traded my 919 in on my X because my average on ramp speed was around 90mph. It just wanted to be pointed at daylight and cracked open. I understand how its easy to look on it as the Nighthawk UJM torchbearer, but it is way too much bike for a beginner. That is the same motor lifted from the 919 blade. It's weird how I can restrain myself on an FJR, but the 919 made me an idiot.

The ZR750 is more of a standard than anything else. I have a hard time believing the bike ever retailed for more than $6000 U.S. and probably sold at a decent discount. The Suzuki SV650 sorta owns that space. You might want to consider one of those, but check the insurance first. Check out the ZR-7S, too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the ZR other than it's not very sexy and probably will need some kind of a windshield. I would think the price is a bit high, but you can go to the NADA website and get an idea.

What else is out there? The Bandit 600 is fugly, but surprisingly quick, there are probably Suzuki GS500's lurking out there, the 500R Ninja is a good choice and value at under $5k new... no Honda's that I can think of, the Hawk GT was forever ago... no shame in owning an 883 Sportster, the FZ-6 is expensive to insure and maybe too quick if he finds 7000rpm... Last year Honda had a 600 Hornet that might be worth looking for.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would check on the insurance thing before buying it too. For me Progressive considered it a sport bike and the insurance was more than my VTX. Just don't want the salesman to talk you into a bad deal. I truly do think he will enjoy the bike and it is a good "starter bike".

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked about the insurance and the salesman said that was one of the good things about the bike...the insurance was ALOT less than the typical crotch rocket. He said it should run about $400-500 for my son vs the $1500-2000 for a crotch rocket., which was one of things that got my interest. Of course, I'll get a confirmation on the insurance before I close the deal.

FYI, it is the ZR-7S model with the small fairing in front. As I mentioned in my previous post, the initial retail price I found was, in fact, wrong. (at least in US $$) The mrsp of the bike new was $5999.

G

·
Outlander said:
the Hawk GT was forever ago... no shame in owning an 883 Sportster, the FZ-6 is expensive to insure and maybe too quick if he finds 7000rpm... Last year Honda had a 600 Hornet that might be worth looking for.
I have a Honda NT650 Hawk GT sitting in my garage :)

I bought it about 2 months ago for my wife to learn on. Today I bought her an '02 Kawasaki ZX6 with only 3600 miles on it. She likes her Hawk, but she wanted a sportier bike to match my Interceptor when we ride together.

There still are good deals on excellant condition Hawk GT's out there, we got lucky and picked one up for $2800. I dont think you could ask for a better beginner bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts