Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 1800F. My last three sets have been the Dunlop Elite 3 but I just checked and they seem scarce now. They've typically lasted 11-12K but this set lasted less than 9K. I have been doing a lot of hard riding though.

The options I can see are:

Dunlop American Elite
Michelin Commander III
Metzeler ME 888
Shinko 777
Pirelli Night Dragon

I ran a set of the Pirellis a few years ago and they handled well but didn't last long.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
I have the 1800F. My last three sets have been the Dunlop Elite 3 but I just checked and they seem scarce now. They've typically lasted 11-12K but this set lasted less than 9K. I have been doing a lot of hard riding though.

Dunlop American Elite
Michelin Commander III
Metzeler ME 888
Shinko 777
Pirelli Night Dragon

I ran a set of the Pirellis a few years ago and they handled well but didn't last long.
On my VTX I ran the Metz 880. That was before the 888 came about. On the Harley I run the 888s and they are better than the 880s were for longevity, and the price was about in the middle. The shop I get my tires from prefer Metzler and offer a better price on them. I think it's a volume thing for them. And lifetime warranty. Pro-rated, but still.

And I always buy the tires at the shop that installs them. Any issues, no finger pointing. I've been down that road once. Never again!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I go back & forth: with spokes the Elites, tho I'm currently testing the new Metzler ME. With rims, a Hanook car tire (don't hate-I *love the traction in the heavy rain).

Reactions: LeftyBiker

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm looking at Shinko. The price is right.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
After running on Metzler 888 for nine years I switched to Avon Cobra last fall.
What an incredible improvement. With the Metzler I always had to fight my bike in the Colorado twisties. Not any longer: I turn, and the bike goes where I want it to go and stays there until I decide otherwise.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts

Dunlop American Elite
Michelin Commander III
Metzeler ME 888
Shinko 777
Pirelli Night Dragon

The Dunny Elite 4 has been out for several years now, many good reviews. It's a dual compound,so gets better mileage than even the Elite 3's. I've had mine 2 years now, but I haven't racked up the miles due to my knee replacement last year.

Reactions: BobSill

·
Registered
917 Posts
Shinko: If it's the last tire available on earth, I'll walk. The only time I ever felt in fear of my life, riding in the rain....slippery as hell.

Just one man's experience, but I swore I'd share it...always.

·
Registered
157 Posts
my 2005 "F"..

Dunlop Elite 4 on the front
Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear... waiting for the Elite 4 for the rear... Oh,, 200R50/18.. as they do not make a 180R55/18 for the "F"... remember the VTX1800F and the Harley V-Rod takes the same tire. just without the name Harley on the sidewall of the tire.

before on the front I ran Dunlop Elite 3 ..

I average about 17,000 miles per tire. front and rear.
air pressure is 40 and 40..

from 1 to 13,000 miles were stock tires
from 13,000 to 92,500 miles been Dunlop Elite's... and counting.

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chuck, I run the same pressure but can't get that kinda life. I know you ride hard too. What's your secret?

I do run the 200 on the back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
smooth.... clutch, brakes, transmission braking.. I do not skid or slide tires.. and smooth leaning.. till I grand pegs... then smoother .

part of motorcycle racing school classes long ago .. I use on the street.

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iron Pony has in stock the Avon Chromes for a good price and only $60 to install them. I might give them a try.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
Iron Pony has in stock the Avon Chromes for a good price and only $60 to install them. I might give them a try.
Those have a pretty unique look. Good online reviews as well. If the price is right, let us know how you like them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my '02 VTX1800C I have always had Elites on it and currently have 3's on both front and rear. Once I figured out that I needed to increase the tire pressure by 2-3 psi over the recommended I have gotten 25k-30k Km (15.5k-18.5k miles) per set. Just ordered a set of Elite 4's. Currently I have +125,000 km on the odometer.

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm running 200's on my 18's but I'm not sure about 16's.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Fortnine has 'em avco.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts

Dunlop American Elite
Michelin Commander III
Metzeler ME 888
Shinko 777
Pirelli Night Dragon

Hey mate, I'm running night dragons on my 1800. Great grip wet or dry. They have a really good load rating. They seem to be lasting ok, but by the sound of it you do alot more riding than me. IMO Pirelli tyres aren't designed to last long, just to keep you upright. I haven't had much to do with metzeler, but I've heard they last a while. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Hey mate, I'm running night dragons on my 1800. Great grip wet or dry. They have a really good load rating. They seem to be lasting ok, but by the sound of it you do alot more riding than me. IMO Pirelli tyres aren't designed to last long, just to keep you upright. I haven't had much to do with metzeler, but I've heard they last a while. Good luck with your choice.
Metz aren't so hot either. The 880 is just OK. I have no experience with the newer 888's. Since I ran 880's I've gone to Michelin Cmdr. II, and now run a Dunny Elite 4 dual compound supposed to get much greater life.

Reactions: BobSill
1 - 20 of 27 Posts