Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use the Elite 3s and purchased from Amazon. I have tried Metzlers and Shinko and didn't care for the loss of grip in winter driving with cold tires.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Over 45 years riding, no idea how many total miles as the HD chopper I rode for a couple decades had no speedo/odo. 18 years and 120,000 miles on my X and counting. I've never liked Metzlers. Use Bridgestone Excedra now on front and 205/16 rear, they perform very well. Usually around 8,000 miles from front.. I don't let them get too worn cause I often take spur of the moment trips. Next time it needs tires (Spring '21) I am going to try the Elites, front and rear. The HD had a 16" rear and 21" front (spokes), I always ran Avon tires on it. I forget the model or number of those tires but they performed and held up well. You've got to be comfortable with your tires.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my '02 VTX1800C I have always had Elites on it and currently have 3's on both front and rear. Once I figured out that I needed to increase the tire pressure by 2-3 psi over the recommended I have gotten 25k-30k Km (15.5k-18.5k miles) per set. Just ordered a set of Elite 4's. Currently I have +125,000 km on the odometer.
Yesterday I had a new set of Elite 4 tires put on my bike at a Honda Powerhouse shop. Much to my surprise, the tech inflated the tires to 36/42 psi (front/rear) stating that the original recommended pressures are much to low for a big bike like mine. I'm going to leave them like this to see how they wear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 2005 "F"..

Dunlop Elite 4 on the front
Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear... waiting for the Elite 4 for the rear... Oh,, 200R50/18.. as they do not make a 180R55/18 for the "F"... remember the VTX1800F and the Harley V-Rod takes the same tire. just without the name Harley on the sidewall of the tire.

before on the front I ran Dunlop Elite 3 ..

I average about 17,000 miles per tire. front and rear.
air pressure is 40 and 40..

from 1 to 13,000 miles were stock tires
from 13,000 to 92,500 miles been Dunlop Elite's... and counting.
Got a photo with the 200 on the rear of the F?Any mods have to be done for a 200 on the rear? Handle better/worse than a 180? Thanks

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for all of the advice. I settled on the Avon Cobras. Iron Pony didn't want to install a 200 on the rear because it's not factory. I told them they'd installed two previous sets so they did it.

The rear tire was slick at first because of factory gunk on it. It skipped a couple of times but then got some grab after the gunk wore off. These Cobras are designed for cruisers with reinforced side walls for more stability in the twisties. It remains to be seen how long they'll last but they're very stable and they have a cool look. I like 'em!

68Shadow, a 200 will fit an F without any mods.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts