Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a bench vise to add to the plethora of garage tools and was wondering what kind, brand do others use, recommend for all the bike maintenance, like fork rebuilds, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody uses a bench vise in their garage for motorcycle maintenance, etc.?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have two. One is a Chinese PoS and the other is a Eron someone gave me. Both are 5"
This is one of those tools I'd spend a little more on to get a quality tool.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Wilton makes an excellent vise. Most guys have probably had their vise so long they forgot who it's made by. Get at least a 6", if not an 8". Also do yourself a favor and buy a set of 'soft' jaw liners right off the bat. I like the magnetic ones with he hard rubber contact surfaces. Craftsman are still pretty good but, no longer made in the US. Be prepared to shell out a few dollars. GOOD vises are not cheap.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Home Depot sells Yost and Lowes sells Irwin. Both are good vises for the money. Craigslist usually has deals on great old vises like wilton, columbian, ect.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have several vices on my benches. The best is a 6" Colombian. I suggest that you check Craigslist and go to flea markets. From what I have seen, most of the stuff out there in the big box stores is junk. Look for acme threads and a vice that's heavier than it looks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sams and harbor freight.
If i was using it every day, I would have a high dollar one. I just dont see the need for a several hundred dollar vise. The sams one is mounted to my workbench and has a receiver block in it, the tractor supply one is sitting on the floor in my garage. I used to take it wheeling and c clamp it to my bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts