Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a buddy riding with stock pipes, and he would like to know what type of covers would be able to withstand the heat from the stock pipes without melting?

I know that many riders here use the Dowco covers. Has anyone tried to cover their bikes immediately after riding? I know that on a Shadow ACE, there's no issue covering it up immediately (with stock pipes).

If anyone knows of a reliable cover that won't melt, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Condensation builds up if you cover a hot bike. I use the Honda VTX cover and have windshield and saddlebags. There is a heat resistant strip around the the bottom of the cover.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I hate to say this but I bought a cover and never use it. It creates too much moisture like stated above even with the vent in it. I find better results using 2 old sheets donated from the wife (much cheaper too). :wink:

·
Super Moderator
63,772 Posts
Even the Dowco say not to put on a just ridden bike. The panels are only heat resistant, not proof. You should wait a few minutes at the very least before covering. 8)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Steppenwolf,

It depends what the purpose of the cover... Is it for security purposes while staying somewhere overnight, winter storage, or rain?

If it is for rain, I use a very good "half cover" that packs real small. It covers the windshield through trunk and everything in between but it doesn't go all the way to the pipes.

Duke

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second Supra1 - let it cool down for 15 minutes and use the $20 Wally World extra large cover (for touring bikes). Fits over my windshield and Beetle Bags with room to spare.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steppenwolf,

It depends what the purpose of the cover... Is it for security purposes while staying somewhere overnight, winter storage, or rain?

If it is for rain, I use a very good "half cover" that packs real small. It covers the windshield through trunk and everything in between but it doesn't go all the way to the pipes.

Duke
Duke,

I live in the tropics in Asia. So the covers are meant for rain and dust. More importantly, my friends bike has been "vandalised" recently, so the main use of the cover for him would be make the bike more discrete - less "loud" so to speak.

In this part of the world, big cruisers are rare, and we park in places which are shared by other people. Interestingly big cruisers here are almost always HDs. There must be hundreds here, compared to the 10+ Xs here. I haven't got mine yet, but will soon.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Condensation builds up if you cover a hot bike. I use the Honda VTX cover and have windshield and saddlebags. There is a heat resistant strip around the the bottom of the cover.
Volking,

Would you have a link to the VTX cover you mentioned? Sounds like an interesting option.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I have a Dowco Guardian G-150 Super. It states it has an “Aluminized scorch-resistant panels allow hot engine and pipes to be covered immediately”. The first one I had melted so took it back and the dealer stated you can't put it on hot that you have to wait. I pointed out the statement on the box and he said "Oh". They replaced it. But I don't cover the pipes till it is much cooler. Since it’s in the garage I usually don’t cover the pipes at all.

BTW, the cover fits with the Memphis Fats windshield, Honda bags and will fit with the Paladin backrest, when I get it on.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts