Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a fuse block on the left side of the bike connected directly to hot side of the Selinold. I fired the bike on Monday and let it run for a bit in the garage and went on a business trip and just got back to finishing the bike today. The fuse for the accessory I was installing was out of the block so that was not draining the battery and I had the keyswitch on for a few mins at a time today but not long enough to run the battery down. So after hooling up my accessory I tried to fire the bike starter barely grinded. So I did connect this to the car battery and that did not turn it over either and I did try and jump across the selinoid. NO luck starter after a few cranks did nothing. I connected to my trickle charge and it has been charginf for about 3 hrs and it now will turn the starter over a few times but slow. SO here is the question is it a battery or have I done something else stupid and how do I check and see if it is indeed a dead battery. Can a AutoZone check this battery??
Any help is VERY appreciated!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
you probably fried the solenoid ...

you do NOT hook up a fuse block to the solenoid, you
hook it up to the pos battery, install a 20 amp fuse and a
relay and then the fuse block.

remove what you have done, get an inline fuse and a relay
and reinstall it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exile said:
you probably fried the solenoid ...

you do NOT hook up a fuse block to the solenoid, you
hook it up to the pos battery, install a 20 amp fuse and a
relay and then the fuse block.

remove what you have done, get an inline fuse and a relay
and reinstall it.
Ok Stupid question but difference does it make from the battery or the solenoid? Same wire just different ends? And I assume the relay is for isolation between the 2 but does a fuse not serve the same purpose?
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update to issue.....
I have had a trickle charge on now for about 4 hrs and the bike turns over but not long enough to start I guess. I am hearing the fuel pump prime. Guess what confuses me the most.... Is this bike just started on Monday and I really have not done anything else to it since. Just bolted the tank down and put the seat on. Now battery is dead and seems to me charging slow. This is a Harbour Freight trickle charger so I am sure not the best. But anyway going to leave it on for awhile longer maybe I fried the battery by leeting it get to down but don't understand this one....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update to the update.....
I got the battery charged enough to fire the bike and let it run for maybe 30 min and it shut off. Now the battery is dead again.... So what charges the battery on a motorcycle? and what should the voltage be when the bike is running and charging?? Man this suck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The most likely culprit would be the new wiring, since it is the "new" thing added just before the problem Disconnect the additions you made and try one of the following.

With everything turned off, and the negative cable disconnected, check for current flow from the negative cable to the negative terminal. If none, reconnect the negative cable, start by whatever means you have been, (but NOT a jump from a RUNNING car...Never a running car!) and check the voltage across the battery terminals once you have it started and have disconnected the jumper cables. If you show 13 to 14.5 volts or so at this point, your charging system is charging. If it is charging good, your problem would most likely have been a bad battery or a drain from the wiring you had connected or some other point.
OR

Disconnect the battery at either side and check the voltage across the battery. Use the trickle charger overnight. Use a volt/ohm/amp/meter to check the voltage across the two battery terminals after disconnecting the charger. If the voltage is 12-13 volts, check it after it sits unconnected an hour. After an hour or so, If it is under 12 volts... the battery likely has a bad cell or two. If the battery is good after using just this method, try the first check to check the charging system.

If both are ok now, the new wiring was probably the culprit.
A bad diode in the regulator could also drain the battery.

Not an electrician, but these directions should give you safe options to try untill one chimes in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
snake1 said:
The most likely culprit would be the new wiring, since it is the "new" thing added just before the problem Disconnect the additions you made and try one of the following.

With everything turned off, and the negative cable disconnected, check for current flow from the negative cable to the negative terminal. If none, reconnect the negative cable, start by whatever means you have been, (but NOT a jump from a RUNNING car...Never a running car!) and check the voltage across the battery terminals once you have it started and have disconnected the jumper cables. If you show 13 to 14.5 volts or so at this point, your charging system is charging. If it is charging good, your problem would most likely have been a bad battery or a drain from the wiring you had connected or some other point.
OR

Disconnect the battery at either side and check the voltage across the battery. Use the trickle charger overnight. Use a volt/ohm/amp/meter to check the voltage across the two battery terminals after disconnecting the charger. If the voltage is 12-13 volts, check it after it sits unconnected an hour. After an hour or so, If it is under 12 volts... the battery likely has a bad cell or two. If the battery is good after using just this method, try the first check to check the charging system.

If both are ok now, the new wiring was probably the culprit.
A bad diode in the regulator could also drain the battery.

Not an electrician, but these directions should give you safe options to try untill one chimes in.
With the bike running I a, showing 10.75 volts which to me looks like not enough to charge the battery. I put it on a trickle charge and it started after 4 hrs of charging and I have disconnected all of the additions. I am going to see if the bike will run more than 30 mins. Lasttime I got it started that's all it ran and then the battery died. I have a feeling I did something to the charhing system. Any ideas on where and how to fix that???

·
Registered
300 Posts
If there isn't a direct drain on the battery, part of your charging system sounds defective. I would shut it off until the problem is fixed. Maybe Bare can elaborate more. Do you have a 1800 shop manual? It gives a series of checks for the charging system.
In the meantime, charge the battery overnight.. check it after it has been disconnected from the bike and the charger. See if it maintains the same charge it had after it is disconnected from the charger for awhile. Hopefully it isn't damaged too. My manual is loaned out at the moment, if you haven't gotten better guidance than I can give, I'll try to hunt it up tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snake1 said:
If there isn't a direct drain on the battery, part of your charging system sounds defective. I would shut it off until the problem is fixed. Maybe Bare can elaborate more. Do you have a 1800 shop manual? It gives a series of checks for the charging system.
In the meantime, charge the battery overnight.. check it after it has been disconnected from the bike and the charger. See if it maintains the same charge it had after it is disconnected from the charger for awhile. Hopefully it isn't damaged too. My manual is loaned out at the moment, if you haven't gotten better guidance than I can give, I'll try to hunt it up tomorrow.
So maybe the rectifier? hell who knows, won't be back to ride until end of nextweek anyway. If anybody has any info i would appreciate it no I don't have a manual yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The bike just idling, not riding, does not charge the battery.
What amperage is the trickle charger you are using?
Did you check the voltage with partial throttle to see if it brought it up?

If it is a .5 amp. trickle charger it will charge at .5 amp per hour and if my memory serves me right I think the VTX battery is at around 75 amps battery. Also if the battery is very low as you said it is dead some trickle chargers will not bring it back. I would leave it on at least 12 - 24 hours like snake1 wrote and see what happens or use a 2 to 6 amp charger for several hours and then recheck the voltage. Riding the bike will charge the battery but from a dead state once you get it to just strart it will take quite a few miles to fully charge. I think Autozone can test your battery for you & if good you still need to get it to a full charge.

You may not be charging the battery enough, just enough to get it started once but not a full charge and the battery not fully charged may be your problem.

Just a few suggestions. Hope it helps and good luck.

Jim...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts