Honda VTX Forum banner
1981 - 2000 of 2001 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
After deleting the ignition switch and adding a hidden toggle, I've been carrying the key in my pocket for the gas cap. I know me...I'm going to lose it. I modded the key today using an old chrome handlebar grip end cap. Very satisfied with the outcome. My wife keeps the spare key for the bike and I intend on having another spare made to hide on the bike (probably going to glue a spare somewhere on the bike). I'm not at all sure about gluing the key in the gas cap, but I've read that it can be done. For now, if I go to Wally World or somewhere, I can just stick the modded key in my pocket. Otherwise, it'll stay in the gas cap when the bike is stored at work or in my garage and I don't have to take my gloves off to dig it out of my pocket at the gas pump.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Eyewear
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I thought about going the Goheen cycles route for the ignition, then doing what you did, and epoxying in the key. My concern was, how do I lubricate the lock? Will I need to lubricate it since the glue is there? Also, and most importantly, can you epoxy/glue a key in there without also affecting the lock tumblers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I thought about going the Goheen cycles route for the ignition, then doing what you did, and epoxying in the key. My concern was, how do I lubricate the lock? Will I need to lubricate it since the glue is there? Also, and most importantly, can you epoxy/glue a key in there without also affecting the lock tumblers?
All good questions. IDK...LOL. I did realize this morning that the grip end that I used was for the throttle side and I cannot fit it into the handlebar lock. I guess I need a good brake rotor lock anyway since the handlebar lock is so easily defeated. I'm glad that I did use the larger grip end. It covers the lock about as perfect as could be had without machining something. I have a really cool idea for a theft deterent that will be super quick to put on and take off. May take me a week or two to get to it, but stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
All good questions. IDK...LOL. I did realize this morning that the grip end that I used was for the throttle side and I cannot fit it into the handlebar lock. I guess I need a good brake rotor lock anyway since the handlebar lock is so easily defeated. I'm glad that I did use the larger grip end. It covers the lock about as perfect as could be had without machining something. I have a really cool idea for a theft deterent that will be super quick to put on and take off. May take me a week or two to get to it, but stay tuned.
When I used the bar end for my key (like you did), I was able to get it to work with the ignition, gas cap and the column lock. I had to have the key stick out further than you did, so it doesn't sit flush in the gas cap like yours. When I was doing mine, I used the key in the gas cap for reference, then epoxied it into the bar end.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When I used the bar end for my key (like you did), I was able to get it to work with the ignition, gas cap and the column lock. I had to have the key stick out further than you did, so it doesn't sit flush in the gas cap like yours. When I was doing mine, I used the key in the gas cap for reference, then epoxied it into the bar end.

The smaller bar end would have worked. I just didn't test fit the mod before completing it. Honestly, the column lock is so easily defeated that I'll just go with a good brake rotor or other lock.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The smaller bar end would have worked. I just didn't test fit the mod before completing it. Honestly, the column lock is so easily defeated that I'll just go with a good brake rotor or other lock.
I never use mine either. I do have a Pitbull rotor lock that I leave in my hard bags if I feel like I'm in a not so safe area.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

I use this,, IMO better than a rotor lock. I use it on the brake side, which then locks both front calipers. I have had it on for a full 10 hour work shift without any ill-effects. coupled with the fork lock my bike isn't moving or easily being rolled onto a truck., but if someone wants it bad enough I supposed they could lift it onto a dolly and roll it away.

Amazon.com: BigPantha #1 Motorcycle Lock - A Grip / Throttle / Brake / Handlebar Lock to Secure Your Bike, Scooter, Moped or ATV in Under 5 Seconds! (Red). BONUS Grip Lock Holster for Easy Storage & Transporting : Automotive

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I use this,, IMO better than a rotor lock. I use it on the brake side, which then locks both front calipers. I have had it on for a full 10 hour work shift without any ill-effects. coupled with the fork lock my bike isn't moving or easily being rolled onto a truck., but if someone wants it bad enough I supposed they could lift it only a dolly and roll it away.

Amazon.com: BigPantha #1 Motorcycle Lock - A Grip / Throttle / Brake / Handlebar Lock to Secure Your Bike, Scooter, Moped or ATV in Under 5 Seconds! (Red). BONUS Grip Lock Holster for Easy Storage & Transporting : Automotive
Very interesting design. I like it... Easier than having to deal with dirty rotors.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Very interesting design. I like it... Easier than having to deal with dirty rotors.

yup it locks the brake handle and prevents the throttle from being rotated.

you can use the clutch side as well making it impossible to shift, but one would be able to roll the bike. if you used the stem lock, and the clutch it would roll in a circle, so IMO the brake/throttle side makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
yup it locks the brake handle and prevents the throttle from being rotated.

you can use the clutch side as well making it impossible to shift, but one would be able to roll the bike. if you used the stem lock, and the clutch it would roll in a circle, so IMO the brake/throttle side makes more sense.
If you have 2 (hopefully with the same key) you put it in gear and load the transmission, then do the brake/throttle side (with lever engaged) it would probably lock both front and rear wheels. I just assume one wouldn't be able to shift to neutral without unloading the trans.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Today is Nov. 22. Back on Sept. 29, while my bike was parked in the center of a lined marked parking spot at our local HS, a kid in a jacked up Silverado in the space next to mine pulled out to his right w/o seeing the bike there, which was forward in the space, away from the curb. HOW he could not see it is beyond me, as he's 6'5" and 300#, sitting up in a big p/up. His right rear big-lugged offroad tire caught my left hiway peg, bending the mounting bolt, but no real damage. The tire continued as he rolled forward, and caught the left side of my front fender, putting an egg-sized dimple in a practically new black fender. How he didn't knock the bike over amazed me. He at least was an honest young man, and stayed until I showed up. He had already called in the claim to his agent, State Farm. After weeks and weeks of getting stalled in their system, I finally got a check for the full amount of a new front pre-painted black fender, and they also figured 1.4 hours labor onto the estimate, for a total of $991. I told them at least 3-4 times, that I would change the fender, and it would take me 5 minutes or less for 4 bolts. So I guess I 'made out' on this deal, except for their not-so-speedy service. I have to wait until tomorrow to order, when the dealer is open. GOD knows how long that will take to arrive, but at least I have my old one to throw back on next spring to get it inspected. That is not the same one that got damaged, but the paint/ finish is not as nice. Now I will see if a friend's body shop can dolly out the egg dimple, sand and re-spray, then I can sell it for a couple bucks to someone who needs one. The fender isn't mangled so should be fairly easy to fix.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Couldn't get her rolling last night, so I disassembly the rear brake pedal & step. Found a pretty decent layer of rust on both that inner sleeve and the pedal. Checked the length of the master cylinder from rear mount hole to pivot. Cleaned and lubed everything and reassembled. Problem solved.

Gave her a bath & wax just bc she deserved it.

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,245 Posts
Saturday was, I think, the last ride of the season.

My riding club entered a float in the Christmas parade and 15 of us rode behind it. What a blast! It was a cold day and the parade started at sundown, so we dressed warm, well that was great for standing around waiting for the parade to start, but once rolling, it was warm. Basically the bike idled for 2 hours. I was sweating by the end.

Bikes were all decorated for the event and the crowd loved us. They were yelling and cheering as we rolled past, reving the engines.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,245 Posts
What is this "last ride of the season" of which you speak?:unsure:

JK

Looks like some serious fun.

We had a blast. However here in the north, the roads get pretty slick when the frost sets in. There are a few ridable days here and there, but for the most part, my sled takes the prime parking spot and the bike gets moved into the "winter" spot.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800R, 2001 Yamaha Road Star, 1994 Goldwing SE
58 Posts
I'm in NW Wisconsin. Someone commented about something, (I forget what) on my bike and I told them I'd deal with it when I park for winter. My adult daughter laughing hysterically and asked," When have you ever put a motorcycle away for the winter?" :)
I've gone and gotten old. The Road Star is buried in the garden shed and the Goldwing is in pieces on the lift table. But the VTX is still available.
:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I sent my bike home on a trailer last night. My wife called and asked about a big spot of oil on the garage floor where I park the bike. I went and looked at my bike and found that both front oil seals were blown. Oil all over the forks, bottom of the tank and side panels. Cannot believe I didn't notice it when I got to work Monday morning. I did hit a huge pot hole on the interstate last week,, but I didn't think anything of it. I have another 100 miles to ride this week, mostly back roads and twisties and I didn't want to risk it on bad forks. Had my son bring a trailer and take my bike home and my wife brought me my truck. Guess I'll be on 4 wheels for a couple of weeks til I get the time to rebuild the forks. Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Lol

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Dang. Sorry to hear. Not fun but at least you had a plan B.

What I did to my VTX today was dust her off, pull off the cobwebs, charge up the battery and ride her to the garage in the backyard for safer storage. It really felt good sitting on the vibrator after months of abstinence. Can't wait to wash her, polish her up and start riding again. Maybe in 2022?

1981 - 2000 of 2001 Posts