Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1582 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those look awesome!

I've done my fork lowers, too, Jorge! I like the look much better than the chrome Kuryakyn covers.

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!
I love what you did to your lowers, and they look like they have been chromed!! You did that just by polishing them?? Could you please pm me and share how you did that so that I can give that a try myself?? I never thought of doing that, and I don't really care for the Kury covers either. I would really appreciate it if don't mind sharing the process with me!

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
sorry nate, i didn't read down far enough until now and see that you posted what you did to get them looking like that. lol Guess I should have read farther down, lol. Sorry man, my bad!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I love what you did to your lowers, and they look like they have been chromed!! You did that just by polishing them?? Could you please pm me and share how you did that so that I can give that a try myself?? I never thought of doing that, and I don't really care for the Kury covers either. I would really appreciate it if don't mind sharing the process with me!

Thanks
Go down a couple posts and he explains what he did. Wet sanded through the grits and polished with a mother's power ball on a drill using the Polish . It's really very simple just keep your paper soaked and push very lightly. I fold up a microfiber towel and soak it with water and use that behind my paper as a way of preventing deep scratches and to keep the paper dripping.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
oh, and by the way. I cleaned and polished her up getting caught in some severe weather with some monsoon like heavy rain, lol. The bike looked terrible and I couldn't ride her on the poker run looking like I just rolled it out of a barn, lol! rained so hard and so heavy that I got water in my rain gear, lol!

·
Registered
415 Posts
oh, and by the way. I cleaned and polished her up getting caught in some severe weather with some monsoon like heavy rain, lol. The bike looked terrible and I couldn't ride her on the poker run looking like I just rolled it out of a barn, lol! rained so hard and so heavy that I got water in my rain gear, lol!
It feels good to Polish with a purpose once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
sorry nate, i didn't read down far enough until now and see that you posted what you did to get them looking like that. lol Guess I should have read farther down, lol. Sorry man, my bad!
No worries! Take your time with it like Jorge said. Doing the same thing to the center of your brake rotors helps a lot for the look, but the coating on the rotors can be pretty thick.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No worries! Take your time with it like Jorge said. Doing the same thing to the center of your brake rotors helps a lot for the look, but the coating on the rotors can be pretty thick.

thanks jorge and nate! I can't wait to give this a try and hopefully mine look as good as yours do! I am not too worried about the rotors right this minute cause I am going to be switching to spokes hopefully very soon, lol. Then I will think about doing the rotors, but to no do them would probably look kind of funny, lol. I do have another question as I am not very familiar with wet sanding.... Is the sand paper for wet sanding specifically designed for just that; wet sanding? Or, can I use any old sand paper? If you could help me with that when you have a moment, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
thanks jorge and nate! I can't wait to give this a try and hopefully mine look as good as yours do! I am not too worried about the rotors right this minute cause I am going to be switching to spokes hopefully very soon, lol. Then I will think about doing the rotors, but to no do them would probably look kind of funny, lol. I do have another question as I am not very familiar with wet sanding.... Is the sand paper for wet sanding specifically designed for just that; wet sanding? Or, can I use any old sand paper? If you could help me with that when you have a moment, I would appreciate it.
Yes, you do need sandpaper made for wet sanding. I used 3M paper, found at Walmart, amazon, Napa, ebay, etc.
Most sandpaper that's higher grit than 400 will be made for wet and dry

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
You don't need much sandpaper as wet sanding helps the sandpaper last awhile.

And do the sanding by hand. Power sanders will eat the metal too quick and leave more marks than it's worth

Reactions: JorgeMango

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep, lots of sanding with wet/dry sandpaper involved. I did my wheels last summer when I put the new tires on the bike.

I don't have a ball polisher so did the polishing by hand. They didn't turn out like chrome but looked much better. I don't think mine had every been done.

I do like the look of those lowers too.

A couple weeks ago I cleaned and polished the handle bar cover that has the VTX on it. I had a bag covering it before I changed to the fairing. Then got in the sun one day and "Wow" it sure was shiny!

One other thing, once you start wet sanding and polishing, you have to keep up on it or it will tarnish/corrode more easily and often since your removing the protective coating.

Reactions: nate6966

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yep - did my wheels all the way up to 3000 grit as well. Same process, same result

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nate,

I have a F3 model and i'm not sure if there is a coating on the rims. I love the polished look, but how difficult is the maintenance on those polished pieces?

~Troy

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Nate,

I have a F3 model and i'm not sure if there is a coating on the rims. I love the polished look, but how difficult is the maintenance on those polished pieces?

~Troy
There wasn't a coating on my wheels when I polished mine. However, they had machining marks that were a pain to sand off. They're actually easier to keep looking good now that I'm not fighting the machine marks.

Reactions: cpritt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 1800 vtx r2 ( i know r for retro, but what is the 2 stand for??? )

injured and dirty ( the bike ) , i am doing soemthing on it everyday.....

it came with one side torn up saddle, with parts in, i hand stitched the leather back on, looked great after that with two saddles instead of one only

also, came with missing air breather cover and filter.
i bought the filter and since i dont know what goes in there, except for the hard chromum missing cover , i think i am also in need of the plastic housing...

while poking around the bottom of breather, just like you i noticed that there is some gewy oily fluid seeping out of the lower rubber hose from the bottom.... i panicked
until i saw your posting and read replies, as this is normal and frankly sounds like honda could have done much better design than to to let crank hose drain in air filter....

anyway, my next operation on my vtx is figure out the F1 flashing light on dashboard thing
seems like i am going to be busy with this thing for a while

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Changed the front and rear brake pads. Had to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir as previous owner must have topped off the level when the pads were worn down to almost nothing. Brakes are stronger, smoother, and very quiet now...makes riding much more enjoyable. I bought KMG pads from kapscomoto.com who sells via Walmart's website. They were insanely cheap- $10 for the front and $9 for the rear. I fully expected them to be junk but so far (about 300 miles) they're working fine.

21 - 40 of 1582 Posts