Honda VTX Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bought a set of new Fork stanchions for the old girl today. The previous owner decided he didn't like the straight look of the originals and thought putting a curve in them "a la front impact" would make them more visually appealing. I disagree.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
Ordered new tires and tubes today. Still plenty of snow and ice up here in MN, but saw a brave soul commuting this week and thought I better start getting ready. Goal is to ride on Easter. Went with OEM Dunlops. Hope these are still made in USA, as there were so many good choices, I used that to push my decision.
Next time, give the Avon Cobras a try. They're owned by Cooper Tire, and I absolutely love them for their grip and mileage. I ran their Venom line for over 10 years until they discontinued them. Now the Cobras are made for the 1800 & 1300C (and only the rear tire for the 1300 R/S/T), so my first Cobra is on the front and my last Venom is still on the back until it's done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Completed the desmog, today, guided by Bareass Choppers. Very good write-up with great info. Also ordered Motion Pro, dual shut-off and FI rated, quick disconnects for the fuel and return lines, 3/8 and 1/4 respectively, hoping that is correct.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My VTX is done at the dealership, had them take off the Metzler 880's and put on a new set of OEM Dunlops. The 880's were a good tire (ware-wise) but I just did not like the way they acted in the rain and around sharp corners... never felt really safe. I know I am not going to get the mileage out of the Dunlop's but one thing they do well is grab the road and hang on!

I also had them replace all of the wheel bearings. One of the rear bearing was in bad shape, the rest were not bad, but showing there age so since the rims were off the bike I had them do this as well.

Should be able to get out and ride soon - next 10 days up here the weather is going to be pushing in the 40's & 50's. Chance of rain hear & there but no more snow!

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
My VTX is done at the dealership, had them take off the Metzler 880's and put on a new set of OEM Dunlops. The 880's were a good tire (ware-wise) but I just did not like the way they acted in the rain and around sharp corners... never felt really safe. I know I am not going to get the mileage out of the Dunlop's but one thing they do well is grab the road and hang on!

I also had them replace all of the wheel bearings. One of the rear bearing was in bad shape, the rest were not bad, but showing there age so since the rims were off the bike I had them do this as well.

Should be able to get out and ride soon - next 10 days up here the weather is going to be pushing in the 40's & 50's. Chance of rain hear & there but no more snow!
You sure about that? :mrgreen:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USOH1327:1:US

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Woohoo! Finally had clear roads and it warmed up well into the 40s today, so I rode my therapist for a little afternoon delight! A little 30 minute quickie was just what the doctor ordered. Beautiful sunshine and the roar of 1800 CCs... it's all good. I'll do it again tomorrow.
Overnight freezing will still keep me off the bike until it gets above 40 degrees for at least an hour or two. I don't trust frost in the shaded corners - not worth the risk.

·
Registered
981 Posts
After spending almost every afternoon polishing the wheels and chrome last week and all day Saturday,,,,rain and thunderstorms on Sunday
I walked by and patted her on the seat a couple of times on my way to work this morning @ 3:30am

·
Registered
73 Posts
Two new tires, fresh brake and clutch fluids and oil & filter. Rock and roll. It never rains in so. Cal !

·
Registered
29 Posts
What did you do to your VTX today? I

Two new tires, fresh brake and clutch fluids and oil & filter. Rock and roll. It never rains in so. Cal !

It never rains... haha. 34 and sunny today, melted off another couple inches of snow. I’m still aiming for Easter

Curious- which tires did you pick?
I know, I already bought so I should stop shopping. Easily said.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[/QUOTE] Next time, give the Avon Cobras a try. They're owned by Cooper Tire, and I absolutely love them for their grip and mileage. I ran their Venom line for over 10 years until they discontinued them. Now the Cobras are made for the 1800 & 1300C (and only the rear tire for the 1300 R/S/T), so my first Cobra is on the front and my last Venom is still on the back until it's done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. I will take a look at those.

I am finding this tire-buying experience interesting.

As I mentioned, the choice to go Dunlop was in part that they are made in Buffalo, NY, USA.

So, then, where to buy? Dennis Kirk is a local MN online retailer, and their prices seemed very competitive at the time I was buying, so I decided to again to buy local which added $25-$30 in tax; I hope for our spring pot-hole repairs.

Next: the closest local shop, independent not a dealer, to mount and balance. That will add another few bucks over the best deal I can find. (I have read the excellent resources on this forum and still decided to hire out, though I like to do as much as I can)

By local. Easy to say. I am happy with what I’m getting. Yep, gonna cost me $100 more than the best deal out there. So far, I am good with that.

Just sharing a few thoughts, keeping me sane while watching snow melt. Just a few more days...

·
Registered
8,858 Posts
yesterday, a 260 mile lunch ride....

heavy overcast with 30% chance of rain. but 70 degrees... but only 2 riders....
wimps. it never rained.

last week we had 9 riders... it was a high of 65 degrees and mostly Sunny.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Actually got to ride my bike to work today, only saw two deer on the side of the road.
Maybe rain this morning and clearing out before noon.
Going to be in the upper 70's or low 80's this afternoon.
I'm going to do some much needed wind therapy.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
In the process of adding studs to my saddlebags, to match the Ultimate Seat my wife bought for me last year.......

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
New '05 1800f1. Bought a few weeks ago but then had a winter storm hit. Finally had a nice day Tuesday so I could ride it home from Utah to Idaho. Changed the oil, old stuff was nasty, and rode home.
Just completed the desmog and changed the coolant while the tank was off. Next is to bleed the brake and clutch fluid. Also have a filter on the way to make the diy Duc intake.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rode it and contemplated why I haven't installed the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators which have been in the garage for 6 months. Answer: more fun to ride than wrench! I'll get around to it...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Removed wheels to polish, clean/lube brakes, remove forks for new seals, clean starter switch, and various other activities. :smile2:

Attachments

381 - 400 of 1319 Posts