Honda VTX Forum banner

401 - 420 of 1346 Posts

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
New '05 1800f1. Bought a few weeks ago but then had a winter storm hit. Finally had a nice day Tuesday so I could ride it home from Utah to Idaho. Changed the oil, old stuff was nasty, and rode home.
Just completed the desmog and changed the coolant while the tank was off. Next is to bleed the brake and clutch fluid. Also have a filter on the way to make the diy Duc intake.
Don't forget the final drive fluid and the front fork fluid...then you're done with ALL fluids...well, maybe the muffler and blinker fluid, too. :wink2:

Rode it and contemplated why I haven't installed the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators which have been in the garage for 6 months. Answer: more fun to ride than wrench! I'll get around to it...
I agree, but you'll kick yourself AFTER when you say to yourself, "Why didn't I do this sooner"...that was my reaction on my first ride after installing them.

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. I will take a look at those.

I am finding this tire-buying experience interesting.

As I mentioned, the choice to go Dunlop was in part that they are made in Buffalo, NY, USA.

So, then, where to buy? Dennis Kirk is a local MN online retailer, and their prices seemed very competitive at the time I was buying, so I decided to again to buy local which added $25-$30 in tax; I hope for our spring pot-hole repairs.

Next: the closest local shop, independent not a dealer, to mount and balance. That will add another few bucks over the best deal I can find. (I have read the excellent resources on this forum and still decided to hire out, though I like to do as much as I can)

By local. Easy to say. I am happy with what I’m getting. Yep, gonna cost me $100 more than the best deal out there. So far, I am good with that.

Just sharing a few thoughts, keeping me sane while watching snow melt. Just a few more days...
I just buy them wherever I can find them online the cheapest, and I take the wheel off myself and have a local shop install them for around $75-80 total. I use Ride On for balancing/sealing, since I have chrome wheels now and don't want wheel weights plastered all over them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just buy them wherever I can find them online the cheapest, and I take the wheel off myself and have a local shop install them for around $75-80 total. I use Ride On for balancing/sealing, since I have chrome wheels now and don't want wheel weights plastered all over them.
$49 / wheel at my local shop. Glad I took them in, the 15-year-old tires were hard as plastic and a challenge. I would have struggled. I have spokes, 1 oz on the rear and nothing needed on the front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Made a bit more progress on my 2018 facelift for the bike. First pic is the day I brought it home. Second pic is how it sits now.

Since I'm going for a stormtrooper look I'll probably call it FN-2003 lol.Bike is a 2003 18C btw.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rode it 300 miles this afternoon. Then I cleaned the windshield.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Rode 50 miles in rain to test rain gear. Put the Tourmaster boot covers on "under" the rain pants next time!! New Michelin Commander 2's do well in the rain.
That's what the test ride is for! :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Switched out the final drive for a 1300 final drive today. Went for a 25 mile ride and decided I like it 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I lost some, I didn't really notice nor do I care much. Some mediocre testing had 1st gear up to 36 mph and second up to 61, plus the speedometer is more correct. With my F I can see the rpms. Highway cruising is fantastic though, not that you asked. Below 60-65 in 5th feels like its lugging. I wanted 5th to be more like an overdrive and that's what I got. I was riding with my uncle and his roadglide and it sounds like at similar speeds, my 5th gear is about the same rpms as his 6th gear.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If I lost some, I didn't really notice nor do I care much. Some mediocre testing had 1st gear up to 36 mph and second up to 61, plus the speedometer is more correct. With my F I can see the rpms. Highway cruising is fantastic though, not that you asked. Below 60-65 in 5th feels like its lugging. I wanted 5th to be more like an overdrive and that's what I got. I was riding with my uncle and his roadglide and it sounds like at similar speeds, my 5th gear is about the same rpms as his 6th gear.
Sounds like a good mod for touring. Your MPG should show an improvement also.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Well, this is how she looks now!! The latest additions are the color-matched fender louvers, and I added matching studs to the saddlebags and the tail bag, to match the Ultimate Seats.... Now I've got to figure out what to do next!!!!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
What a day! I just zipped around and burnt my first full tank of fuel for this season.
I really like 55 degree weather. Complete full riding gear and completely comfortable. Not hot, not too cold. Just right!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Positive Thinking....

Spring has Sprung!!
Can you tell by the photo?
I brought the VTX in from the trailer to start getting it ready for the riding season. It has actually been kinda nice around here for a few days, like above freezing and snow melting. Looked promising.
Going to change the steering stem bearings, put on new risers, got some new side lights for the trunk, and maybe do some work on the front fork springs & seals.
And on, & on, & on......

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Started initial fitment of the Hondaline fairing? I wil have to fabricate the lower mounts and then off to the painter.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Started initial fitment of the Hondaline fairing? I wil have to fabricate the lower mounts and then off to the painter.
Yup, that's the one and only Hondaline cowl. Please tell me you are also getting the black design painted on it, too, to match the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yup, that's the one and only Hondaline cowl. Please tell me you are also getting the black design painted on it, too, to match the rest of the bike.
Yes sir, looking into the decals for the tank as to where I can cut and lay them onto the paint before the clear coat go on.
They are expensive, but I want it to match

401 - 420 of 1346 Posts