Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1572 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed the front and rear brake pads with KMG pads I ordered from kapscomoto.com who sells via Walmart's website. Who'd a thunk that? They were crazy cheap- $10 for the fronts and $9 for the rears. At that price I fully expected them to be junk but had to find out. Have a couple hundred miles on them now and they're great. Maybe they'll only last 3 or 4 thousand miles but at that price and considering it only takes a few minutes to change them it's a good buy. Had to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir. Previous owner must have filled the reservoir to the top when the old pads were about 80% worn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Refurbed stubborn ignition switch which really was pretty easy (Rattlebars). Cleaned clutch switch plunger and lever--will start now in gear with clutch in again. Just enough crud in there to keep the plunger depressed slightly. Replaced headlight bulb and headlight rattle fix while in there (per bareass). A lot less sexy than the suspension overhaul a couple weeks ago but want to keep the old X running good.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
I added a triple-wammy. I like it!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
New front brakes, new tires, last ones had 14150. Ride on in tires, rework tool kit, tighten battery cables, check wiring for reg/windings, go through possibles bag, check first aid, compressor, new fuel line, new air filter,loaded spare lights, check cook set......more tomorrow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought my first bike ever this week, 2006 VTX1800S w/ ONLY 5500 miles!! Lots of extras. Just joined the forum, looking forward to lots of good info!
Welcome, Michael! You might want to change all of the fluids, including the coolant. Check the age of the tires and the air pressure in them. The bike has done a lot of sitting around for 10+ years, so you also might want to use some fuel injector cleaner in your first few tanks of fuel.

And congratulations on snagging a great looking bike!

Reactions: nate6966

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Decided on a final design for the trunk mount, got my brackets laser cut, did a little welding and bead blasted them. All ready for powder coating.
That is a bad ass mount!

I might be interested in getting one if I didn't have to make one. I do not have fab skills.....:(

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Finally cleaned the bugs off her. She's been dirty for almost a month.
Sure looks good when she's clean!

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

Reactions: LEGO and rangers4u

·
Registered
102 Posts
Finally cleaned the bugs off her. She's been dirty for almost a month.
Sure looks good when she's clean!
Nice, I love those F wheels

Reactions: nate6966

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm particularly proud that I went out & got some bugs on my bike!
Took all day to ride 135 miles into the mountains, have lunch & a beer with a couple friends, then came back all covered in bugs..... Ain't life Grand?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'm particularly proud that I went out & got some bugs on my bike!
Took all day to ride 135 miles into the mountains, have lunch & a beer with a couple friends, then came back all covered in bugs..... Ain't life Grand?
I hear that!
On the flipside, though, ya gotta knock off the old bugs sometimes so you can smile at the new bugs :pepper1:

(gorgeous paint by the way!)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
With blue skies, 78 degree temps, and a bit of rain in the weekend forecast, I had to slip out for a "doctor's appointment".

Clicked off 200+ miles, including a jaunt over a mountain. Beautiful ride and happy my job gives enough flexibility to do such things!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I road rhe 50 miles to work and have the thermal suit for the ride home at 1am should be 48-50 out.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I road rhe 50 miles to work and have the thermal suit for the ride home at 1am should be 48-50 out.
Brrrr!
I brave those temps on my morning commutes, but not for 50 miles! I only have 9 miles to deal with it (at only 35 mph, too)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yup, went out & found some more bugs .....
Almost ready to update the trunk mount and fender/bag fillers.
Gotta tell you, I really like and enjoy this post.

41 - 60 of 1572 Posts