Honda VTX Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Took a little ride from Ashland KY to Gallipolis Ohio. Road up along the Ohio River, came back through the hills.

Oh, and if anyone is looking for a brand new 2007 VTX1300, they have one at the Honda Dealer in Gallipolis. He also had 3 nice used VTX's too.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
i mentioned honda should have designed in fork drain bolts, like the harley's have...etc
Honestly, I wouldn’t trust just a drain bolt to get the fluid out, especially if someone neglects doing this service well past the recommended interval. I just replaced leaking seals on a friend’s 1300 about a month or so back, and when I tore the forks down, there was actual sludge in the bottom of the lower leg...no way that stuff would’ve come out from a drain hole. She couldn’t remember the last time it was done.

I leave the forks connected to the fender when I take them out of the trees, because I use a sawhorse and two buckets and turn the whole assembly upside down to allow the forks to drain fully while I pump the tubes up/down to get all the trapped fluid out.

I taught myself a new trick to getting the fork tubes separated from the lower leg by myself. Normally after the drain, I would remove the fender from the forks and then get a helper to pull them apart. This time, I left them connected to the fender, removed the dust seal & lower seal retainer rings and then held the top of the fender with my left hand while pulling up on the tubes in quick, rapid “pops” with my right hand. The tubes both came out super easy, and then after a full disassembly and cleaning, put everything back in with new seals and/or bushings. IMO, that’s the best way to get the fluid out. If I’m just doing a fluid change, I flush the forks with cheap ATF or fork fluid and give them a chance to drain again. Then fill ‘em up and button them up. I also screw the fork caps on while the forks are off the bike, so I can twist the tube and keep the cap straight and level to prevent cross-threading. The final torque happens when they’re back in the trees.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn’t trust just a drain bolt to get the fluid out, especially if someone neglects doing this service well past the recommended interval. I just replaced leaking seals on a friend’s 1300 about a month or so back, and when I tore the forks down, there was actual sludge in the bottom of the lower leg...no way that stuff would’ve come out from a drain hole. She couldn’t remember the last time it was done.
Oh i fully recall your post showing the two forks attached to the fender upside down to drain overnight etc, so i know what you're saying. Just imagine you having drain bolts on your forks, as clean as you keep them, would save a lot of time the next time. It could have been a routine maintenance job like changing the oil but instead we have to take front end apart etc. I trust you did the fork oil change before having your paint done recently, that would be great timing.
If the bike was neglected to the point of sludge in the tubes then a total rebuld is probably in order anyway, but for regular maintenance still think it would have been a great option to have a drain bolt. could still flush it out the bottom.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Oh i fully recall your post showing the two forks attached to the fender upside down to drain overnight etc, so i know what you're saying. Just imagine you having drain bolts on your forks, as clean as you keep them, would save a lot of time the next time. It could have been a routine maintenance job like changing the oil but instead we have to take front end apart etc. I trust you did the fork oil change before having your paint done recently, that would be great timing.
If the bike was neglected to the point of sludge in the tubes then a total rebuld is probably in order anyway, but for regular maintenance still think it would have been a great option to have a drain bolt. could still flush it out the bottom.
Hey Mr VTX,

I appreciate your fork oil change instructions you've posted along the way, they represent "best practices" in terms of how to actually perform it on the VTX 1300, it's true with all your instructions imo.
My situation where i live, having a carport rather than a garage doesn't lend itself to having the bike "apart" overnight.
So here i am watching Two Wheel Rocco last week and he's doing a fork oil change on a 2005 sportster 1200 it was as easy as a oil change. Then i imagined me doing that with my VTX and slipping in some progressive springs at the same time, hour and a half maybe, seemed soooo easy..

Then i woke-up and realized i'm going to have to go to a shop and probably pay $400+ ( i dont know)

So if i sounded a little frustrated it's because i want a damn drain bolt... lol! :grin2:

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Hey Mr VTX,

I appreciate your fork oil change instructions you've posted along the way, they represent "best practices" in terms of how to actually perform it on the VTX 1300, it's true with all your instructions imo.
My situation where i live, having a carport rather than a garage doesn't lend itself to having the bike "apart" overnight.
So here i am watching Two Wheel Rocco last week and he's doing a fork oil change on a 2005 sportster 1200 it was as easy as a oil change. Then i imagined me doing that with my VTX and slipping in some progressive springs at the same time, hour and a half maybe, seemed soooo easy..

Then i woke-up and realized i'm going to have to go to a shop and probably pay $400+ ( i dont know)

So if i sounded a little frustrated it's because i want a damn drain bolt... lol! :grin2:
Um.....

You can have the bike apart for a while. That's what the living room is for. :thumbup:

park it in there normally and people who come over will sit on it like furniture. Ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
Hey Mr VTX,

Thanks. :thumbup: You can get the forks done easily within a couple of hours, and you can even take the whole assembly inside if you needed to hold off until the next day. I don't necessarily let my forks drain overnight, especially if you flush them out with some cheap fluid...you'll never really get all the fluid out anyway unless you break them down completely. Same thing with oil changes...no one's ever getting all of it out of the motor. The goal is just to get the most you can out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks. :thumbup: You can get the forks done easily within a couple of hours, and you can even take the whole assembly inside if you needed to hold off until the next day. I don't necessarily let my forks drain overnight, especially if you flush them out with some cheap fluid...you'll never really get all the fluid out anyway unless you break them down completely. Same thing with oil changes...no one's ever getting all of it out of the motor. The goal is just to get the most you can out.
At this moment i'm telling myself just do it, it will be fine. I have a new windshield to install that would be the perfect time to do it. Or if i dont do it myself i would have it scheduled for the day i take the old windshield and brackets off.

Do you think at 30K i should rebuild them too? No leaks no issues i know of other than progressive springs would be nice.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
At this moment i'm telling myself just do it, it will be fine. I have a new windshield to install that would be the perfect time to do it. Or if i dont do it myself i would have it scheduled for the day i take the old windshield and brackets off.

Do you think at 30K i should rebuild them too? No leaks no issues i know of other than progressive springs would be nice.
I doubt you'd have to replace anything internally. The bushings are really the only other thing inside that wears down, but you won't know until you can check them out when you pull them apart.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
well I am finally finishing up a few things -

1. Spiegler kit install (that was a nightmare thanks to DLP...).
2. Kury forward control extenders.
3. Full service except for valves. valves suck. it is an immutable law that all vtx valve jobs will entail massive amounts of swearing.

next on the other VTX - Alpine amp for the head unit in the fairing. I suppose at some point I should do the spiegler kit on this bike too. I don't know how well the brake lines age on the VTX, but my bikes are 12 and 13 years old. At some point the lines have to degrade.

Oh, and random questions:

1. how long does dif fluid remain good? I have been using the same can for a while now.
2. anyone else running a 1300 rear end on the 1800? one of my bikes has it. I like it, sort of. I miss the torque for sure. It is cool to hit 80 and not feel like I am running at the top of the power band.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

3. Full service except for valves. valves suck. it is an immutable law that all vtx valve jobs will entail massive amounts of swearing.

next on the other VTX - Alpine amp for the head unit in the fairing. I suppose at some point I should do the spiegler kit on this bike too. I don't know how well the brake lines age on the VTX, but my bikes are 12 and 13 years old. At some point the lines have to degrade.

1. how long does dif fluid remain good? I have been using the same can for a while now.

2. anyone else running a 1300 rear end on the 1800? one of my bikes has it. I like it, sort of. I miss the torque for sure. It is cool to hit 80 and not feel like I am running at the top of the power band.
Sorry for mi ignorance but what is Spiegler ?

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
They are stainless steel brake lines. They replace the stock brake lines.

Www.spiegler.com.

Good stuff. Keeps you from blowing out a weak line.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Sorry for mi ignorance but what is Spiegler ?

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk
What... No pictures?
Pictures or it didn't happen 😋

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Not much to take pictures of, but I will see what I can do.

The Spiegler kit is really pretty good. I dealt with their dealer manager there and he was FIRST RATE (his name was Brian). I had lots of problems stemming from primarily DLP but also some from spiegler themselves. They cleared them all up. Shameless plug here - if you are going to do spiegler call them and ask for brian. He will take care of you.

I will do this again on my other bike. Probably in a year or so. The worst part of this process was really figuring out how to route everything. maybe then i will do a write up.

Oh, and the forward control extenders from Kury are nice. I havent been able to ride with them yet. They feel more comfortable just sitting on the bike (I am 6'1 with a 33 inch inseam). I had to pay $18 to buy new bolts to put the Kury highway pegs on but that wasn't really that bad.

The spiegler kit made it so I did not have to use the Kury brake line extension - there was enough room in the Spiegler kit that after it was installed I could just put the extension on.

I wish I had more time for this stuff. But, I have a 5 month old baby. Its 5 am and we have been up for an hour. Watching dancing bananas on the computer. I thought I was done with this stuff when I quit dropping acid after high school? :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rode today and yesterday did my usual tour up to 87 & Bush hwy, yesterday 2 sport bikes (650's)
Honda and Suzuki. They complimented my bike totally unsolicited, i wasn't even looking at my bike.
I thanked them for making an old man feel good then talked about Black is the new chrome...
Their bikes were 2018's, zero chrome..lol

Today a Harley 1993 not sure the model i forgot, clean bike except that one oil leak... Met that old man before up there, he's 71 years old and looks like he was a biker his whole life. He's got some screwed-up war stories...

Fun getting in the wind and getting out of the house. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got tired of trying to get my 1300 to run without fouling the plugs and also backfiring.PO had put on straight pipes opened up air box and rejetted carb. I went up and down and sideway with that thing. This weekend I put on original exhaust original air box with oem filter. set carb back to original but with the one washer. Running better but really bad backfiring on throttle let off .Haven't had a chance to check plugs yet buy I'm thinking they held up better .And that's my rant Also the pair has been removed and plugged

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
I got tired of trying to get my 1300 to run without fouling the plugs and also backfiring.PO had put on straight pipes opened up air box and rejetted carb. I went up and down and sideway with that thing. This weekend I put on original exhaust original air box with oem filter. set carb back to original but with the one washer. Running better but really bad backfiring on throttle let off .Haven't had a chance to check plugs yet buy I'm thinking they held up better .And that's my rant Also the pair has been removed and plugged
A bad air cut-off valve in the carb will also cause the backfiring.

1181 - 1200 of 1319 Posts