Honda VTX Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1319 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
VTXer, thanks for sharing! I can't imagine what it would be like to be able to ride in January, even if it's a bit chilly....

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Cut and buffed nearly all of the small scratches from this past season out of the paint...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fixed a known problem with my cobra exhaust: chrome flacking of the exhaust tips. Dechromed them and sprayed them black with heat resisted paint. Looks good to me, see if it holds.
Hans

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
New tire is on. Of course, I had to polish the wheel again before I put it back on. So much quicker since I did all that sanding last winter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can't tell the brand and size of that tire nate... what are you running? Also, what was the process and supplies used to polish the rims. I plan on doing mine this summer and would like to prepare ahead of time.

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I can't tell the brand and size of that tire nate... what are you running? Also, what was the process and supplies used to polish the rims. I plan on doing mine this summer and would like to prepare ahead of time.

Thanks,
Troy
The tire is a Metzeler Marathon ME 880 sized 200/50r18.

Last year was the lion's share of the work. Fine grinding stone on my Dremel took off the wheel numbers and logos around the center hub.
Then, sanded down all the factory machining marks with 220 grit - by hand as any power tools will eat too much aluminum. Also helped that I have a Spec 3 so the wheels were pretty smooth as it was.
Sanding steps went from 220 to 400 and 600. Then wet sanding with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, and finally 4000. All by hand. Next was White Diamond polish with the power drill and a mother's polishing cone. Finished with hand application of Flitz (or Blue Magic or Wenol if you have those instead).
That was all last winter.
This year was just the power cone with White Diamond and then hand polish with Flitz. Quick 30 minutes this winter. Maintaining this is looking like it's gonna be easy street!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Nice. Seems like a 30 minutes job at most. Just kidding, I did my 1300 C wheels a few years ago and it took forever by hand. Of course I only went to 1500 from 400. They came out great, but not as clean as yours. I'll have till summer to gather all the materials, and I'll try to do the work on a "hot" week. Its gets pretty warm here in Baton Rouge in the summer months. I'm not too worried about the numbers and logos on the wheels, but I would like my spec 3 rims to look like yours.

I currently have a Bridgestone Battlax BT-028 200/50R18 on the rear tire, but it doesn't look as wide as that 880. I might look at making a brand switch in the future.

~Troy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did a laundry list: adjust valves, change oik and diff oil, clutch and brake fluids, radiator flush, installed Cobra Angeled Slashcut exhaust, Cobra FI2000 PowerPro Black, Custom Dynamics Run Turn Brake module with LED rear turn signals, Paladin engine guards, Paladin luggage rack, Progressive 444 shocks and front fork springs. Whew...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Did a laundry list: adjust valves, change oik and diff oil, clutch and brake fluids, radiator flush, installed Cobra Angeled Slashcut exhaust, Cobra FI2000 PowerPro Black, Custom Dynamics Run Turn Brake module with LED rear turn signals, Paladin engine guards, Paladin luggage rack, Progressive 444 shocks and front fork springs. Whew...
That's gonna feel like a brand new bike! Nicely done - pics???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nate, I agree, should be quite a difference. Thinking about ordering the ThunderMonster QQ baffles if these pipes are too loud. Will take some pics later this week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you find a money tree in your garden???😉
And if so.....can you send me some seeds!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I may start pulling my pipes and wheels in prep for spring maintenance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bike is not fully back together yet. I did start it and the Cobra pipes sound outstanding, though they are loud. I have the Thunder Monster QQ Baffles and will install them and let all know the difference.

121 - 140 of 1319 Posts