Honda VTX Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1728 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Not a VTX but i did
Replace the Speedway motorcycle shelter I'd been using the past 8 years, it dried out and was beginning to tear.

btw, that air compressor you see in the pics is a HF POS. Noisy as hell, have to shut the shelter just to cycle it.

Thinking about getting a good one that hums in comparison.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have the same tent. love it.
i originally ordered just a replacement cover, it was like $175, i installed it and it did not fit, i was distressed. it wouldn't fully close in front, allowing debris in. Unacceptable.

So i emailed Speedway Shelter and they sent me an entire Kit, frame and all at no charge, said "Sell the old one to a friend".
Turns out they made changes to the frame in the 8 years since i got it, round to square tubing, slight size change etc.

The old new one, if you will (shown below) fit really nice except it was different in the front, no way to close all the way, like 4" off the ground, which turns it from a shelter into a Vacuum or debris catcher.

Anyway, I threw out the old frame, kept the new cover sealed new as a backup or when i sell the shelter be able to sell it as New pretty much. You see i have two covers right now, the newer version.

Downside is the concrete bolts were in slightly different positions and i had to break out the Hammer drill (which i had sold 6 years ago... Vs a Vee buy one).

Ps: next i'll tell you about how i complained how one of the Kuryakyn speakers was scuffed a bit when the shipped it to me,
Kuryakyn sent an entire new "system". Yep, got a back-up for that now too!

Universe wants me to ride! 😃

Pic

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have now collected the parts I need to mount my cell phone on the handlebars for riding in to areas where I need GPS.

I have an adapter from Battery Tender that plugs in to the dongle attached to the battery and provides one USB port.

I have a 6ft USB to USB-c cable to run to the handlebar.

The actual mount is a RAM X type which seems pretty sturdy.

I just realized I need zip ties to run the cable but I know where to get those.

I will not leave the phone on the handlebars all the time, just when going to certain areas where I'll need to make a lot of precise turns on to different roads. I'm at the point where I can remember about 2-3 turns from directions I have looked up or been told and after that I forget!

(Edited to add: I just realized the pic of my bike below does not reflect the changes I have made. The bags are gone, there is a new Mustang Seat and a backrest instead. I still have the bags but only use them as toss overs that go on and off quickly as needed!)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
See the Air Compressor in this pic.. Returned to HF yesterday, way to loud.

Then ordered this one

I have found that any compressor that isn't belt driven with oil, is going to be LOUD... Hopefully the one you ordered is quiet enough for you, but I wasn't able to find any that met my requirements.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have found that any compressor that isn't belt driven with oil, is going to be LOUD... Hopefully the one you ordered is quiet enough for you, but I wasn't able to find any that met my requirements.
I should have said "Not as loud" rather than "quiet" probably. I will settle for tolerable. And maybe not at a sound pitch that totally annoys. Supposed to be here Friday, we'll see. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Recent new tires so today I did the Ride-On tire sealant which then gave me an excuse to ride at least 10 miles. Not that I needed one. And the sealant was a very easy install with my also new, Audew air compressor. I can set the PSI to 40 and walk away. It takes a couple minutes but it's a nice, convenient little unit.
Clicked the adjustable shocks one click up to "3" and I do feel the difference. I like the stiffer ride, even if it's only a small change. Easy fix wearing rubber coated gloves and with a little purchase adjusts easy. No special "spanner" or wrench needed.
Battery Tender that plugs in to the cell phone
New leather vest (on my ride, stopped at leather store). :D
CLEANED! Because I do that several times a month anyway.
Planning a 3 day solo ride in Upstate New York, possibly for next week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just installed Glen's Clutch Pull Relief, what a great upgrade to my 1300. I know I'm a newbie but I would suggest this to anyone. So much easier on the hand.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Good move, installed it on the VTX i had, it was great. Wish there was one for the V-Star.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
See the Air Compressor in this pic.. Returned to HF yesterday, way too loud.
View attachment 189772

Then ordered this one

View attachment 189773
Got the compressor today, it's nice, i'm pleased. Sound is pleasant compared to the one i returned.
I can finally have some peace when using my compressor. 😇

If i had the money most of you guys have i'd have got the Makita for another 60 bucks, basically the same unit with lots of trim.

I took a video, it's uploading now so you can hear it 😁.... i'll update this post later...

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
993 Posts
Got the compressor today, it's nice, i'm pleased. Sound is pleasant compared to the one i returned.
I can finally have some peace when using my compressor. 😇

If i had the money most of you guys have i'd have got the Makita for another 60 bucks, basically the same unit with lots of trim.

I took a video, it's uploading now so you can hear it 😁.... i'll update this post later...
That is quiet. Makes less noise than my oil'ed belt driven 30 gallon husky. Good find! I use mine for air tools though, so I needed bigger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I installed a Triple Wammy Run, Turn, Brake module, chrome brake reservoir cover, deep dish turn signal bezels and waxed her up. Went for a drive to figure out my gas runout point before switching to reserve, 154 miles. Was a great day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Simple addition, or was supposed to be simple:
Decided to put a phone charger on the handlebars. Going on a couple long rides this week. Put it on, plug it into the battery tender plug and.......nothing. 🧐 Thought maybe I got cheap Chinese crap and it just sucks. Check the voltage from tender and.......nothing. Hell with it! I decided to take the seat off and have a look at the battery connections. Connections look fine with a cursory look. Pulled on the positive wire and it came right off. The metal connector had snapped. I was happy to see it actually because it's nice to get a simple fix once in a while :) New connector and it all works fine but the wire will dangle some. Not too bad, it slides on/off. I'll only put it on when needed. But the seat is off I may as well clean under it, check all the wires etc......for an easy Sunday morning. Tomorrow I'll go over the whole bike and make sure it's all ship/shape to ride for hours.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
After finishing a home construction project (handicap ramp) thats taken up most of my time the past 2 months, I decided to not get into changing the rear fender and messing with all the wiring, and just put the old stuff back on. The first step was the tail light/ brake light. I have the Kury RTB setup, and one of the t/s would glow orange instead of red. WTF. Took the lenses off, and found one of the dual element bulbs I had in there wasn't making a good contact with the socket. Played with it a bit, and got it working the way it's supposed to. I may have to rewire a socket pigtail sometime, just keep an eye on it for now. All the tail lights are working, so now it will be on to the fender rails after trying to polish the bag scuff marks out of the black paint. Most of it was covered before, but thats the reason I bought the mint fenders in the first place. Some day. Have to get it back on the road and inspected, then wait for my new Progressive shocks, IF they ever show up. My busted one is welded, it will get me an inspection, but IDK if I'd trust it for much riding.

·
Old Goat
26,183 Posts
Well first I did one of my favorite things…I rode my VTX….then I did another favorite thing…I drank beer while I looked at my VTX…then I did another favorite thing …I drank beer,smoked a bowl all while looking at my VTX…today was a good day to be me..hope u folks had a good one…

1681 - 1700 of 1728 Posts