Honda VTX Forum banner
1941 - 1960 of 1960 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
We're in the doldrums of summer here in the valley...humidity high and temps hi. just a matter of weeks now for it to get beautiful (y).In the meantime, with all this talk of Tires being trouble to get makes me not want to "waste" rides in the crappy weather. :cautious:

Can't complain though, this summer was easier to handle for me than the past few.

·
Registered
2002 VTX 1800s
20 Posts
Replaced my left side cover.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
After checking the Air pressure I rode the full route got out pretty early, nice ride, it had been awhile 8-29 :oops:, I've wanted to ride lately but not early for some reason, this morning i broke the mold finally.

My Yamaha has what's called Ivan's ECU Flash reprogramming or reflash, he's well known in the VStar group, the bike came like that from prior owner with documentation.

Anyway, here's what it does to the programming:
My XVS1300 V-Star ECU programming (Re-Flash) includes the following:

1) Includes fueling changes - No fuel tuner needed !! - Just plug in and go !!

2)
Disable fuel cut - ie; Jerky throttle
Don't know what "fuel cut" is? - CLICK HERE

a) Gets rid of poor throttle transitions from closed throttle.
b) Gets rid of annoying popping and banging during decel and also when re-applying the throttle from closed.
c) Throttle modulation is noticably improved over what can be achieved with a fuel tuner alone.
d) Throttle feels much smoother when re-applying from closed position.

3) Complete re-curve of ignition timing
a) Gets rid of part throttle timing retarder for more response and less vibration when cruising and moderate acceleration.
b) Gets rid of high rpm timing retarder allowing the engine to make maximum power for longer.
c) Set timing for maximium power and driveability across the entire rpm range & all throttle positions

4) Raise rev-limit in all gears to 6600 rpm.

5) Anything that compromises performance and/or driveability is eliminated.

6) Reduced running temperatures.

7) Reduced heavy engine braking on decel.
(More relaxed gear changes and throttle modulation at all speeds)

8) Adjust radiator fan to come on at 200 degrees
(Better for your engine when in heavy traffic.)

9) Free upgrades when/if we make improvements.

10) Return your ecu back to stock at no charge for any reason.
(shipping not included)

11) Answers to all your questions.....
All testing was done in house on the above Vstar 1300.

I can tell the rev limiter has been raised, seems to never end, have not hit it yet . ;)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yesterdays ride, i left with a clean windshield, this is what it looked like when i got home. :oops:
Cleaned again. Bugs were bad yesterday, not one on me though...(y):)
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Doing some rewiring on the '05 1800 C due to a mouse deciding the top of the engine was a great place to chew some wires. Haven't had a problem with them until some heavy rains came. I have a creek down a hill and at the back of my property. The rain caused the creek to rise and according to my SIL who has a pest control business a lot of people are having trouble with the mice and rats moving to high ground and dry places. They got my truck as well. $1200 to replace a harness on it. They got it good. On top of that, since I was working on one, I thought why not just change the plugs and fluids in both VTX's. Changed plugs many times on the '02 and never a problem. Removing the plug covers, I twisted one of the bolts off.....Fun times. Since I'm recovering from an accident and can't ride right now, I decided to back off and do it when I'm in a better frame of mind. I have counter operating bits and ease outs, but just not in the mood to mess with it now. I have a new wing setting there with 1 mile on it and it's aggravating not to be able to ride. Maybe that's what turned my stupid button on and made me twist the bolt off instead of backing off when I met more resistance than normal and putting some penetrating oil on it before continuing......Not a good day.....Ride 'em or sell 'em....

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Put her up for sale...
Here's the new commitment of funds...

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX 1800R
14 Posts
Got some stock take off shocks from another bike,( dare I say the name on this site) lol.
What a huge improvement, bumps I used to cringe at I no longer need to lift my rear end to go over.
I like the black too, nice contrast and less chrome to worry about finger prints :))

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800R, 2001 Yamaha Road Star, 1994 Goldwing SE
50 Posts
Well, I'm half dark. I just put the BattleAx on the front of my bike. Being the frugal retiree I am, it'll be a couple thousand miles before the rear gets changed.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800R, 2001 Yamaha Road Star, 1994 Goldwing SE
50 Posts
A few days late, but on Monday I took the 1800 and sidecar to Sidecars Unlimited in Iowa to be attached. I'm too old to crawl around on the floor anymore. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jumped back into the VTX game by purchasing a 2008 1300R a few weeks ago for my son. Not exactly today, but completed the following last weekend while getting it prepped for him.

Pair valve removal
New plugs
Bleed brakes
Replace battery
Oil change
Pull carb apart, cleaned and confirmed jet sizes
Modify saddlebag mounts so the bags do not flare out in rear
Glens Permanent A/F Screw
Glens Clutch Pull Relief
Full clean / wax

As soon as I get the new tires mounted it will be complete for now.

1941 - 1960 of 1960 Posts