Honda VTX Forum banner
1961 - 1980 of 2001 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Blown fork seals (both sides) and a seized front caliper reduced my riding this summer.. Finally, I did the seals myself - based on a couple of YouTube videos. The repair went perfectly, but to my surprise there was no damage on the fork itself (no scratches or wear)... instead the seals themselves had corroded and worn back so they no longer gripped the fork. It became apparent that any regular oil, solvent, etc used to clean the forks is going to work its way up into the seal and corrupt it. If you only ever use fork oil or hydraulic oil on the forks, it should maximize the life of those seals. As for the seized caliber.. I found that cleaning the pistons then working them back & forth fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Blown fork seals (both sides) and a seized front caliper reduced my riding this summer.. Finally, I did the seals myself - based on a couple of YouTube videos. The repair went perfectly, but to my surprise there was no damage on the fork itself (no scratches or wear)... instead the seals themselves had corroded and worn back so they no longer gripped the fork. It became apparent that any regular oil, solvent, etc used to clean the forks is going to work its way up into the seal and corrupt it. If you only ever use fork oil or hydraulic oil on the forks, it should maximize the life of those seals. As for the seized caliber.. I found that cleaning the pistons then working them back & forth fixed the problem.
Good to see you still here!:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not today, but this past weekend I got my airhorn repainted and relocated it and the compressor. I wrapped my cupholder and did a few other touchups and an oil and filter change. I'm working most of this weekend, 48 hours left of a 120 hour shift, and next weekend I'm contemplating a couple of more mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not a pop-tart warmer...but I pulled my radiator grill, washed, sanded, primed and painted and then baked for an hour. I really love how this Hammered Pewter Rust-Oleum looks like powder coat after baking. I got tired of the dingy looking radiator grill and decided to change it up.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle brake Automotive tire

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Replaced my main wire harness, I was surprised at how easy it was, been putting it off because I was expecting it to take 6plus hours, Done in under 2.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I replaced my Petcock, the fuel line that goes from the petcock down to my fuel filter and pump under the seat, and also the vent tube line that was getting really hard and cracking. The Petcock was not stoping the fuel from flowing when it was turned off. The bike could Idle all day long with the petcock turned off.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Friday -
Installed Oxford Heated Grips
Pair Valve Mod
Keyed Ignition Switch Delete - Replaced with a hidden toggle switch

Saturday -
Almost died due to an oil leak of my own making
Unkinked Crankcase breather hose
Replaced the seal that I caused to blow out!
Spent an hour scrubbing up the four quarts of oil that I dumped from the blown seal all over the Fire Station Driveway!

Sunday -
Left well enough alone!

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Friday -
Installed Oxford Heated Grips
Pair Valve Mod
Keyed Ignition Switch Delete - Replaced with a hidden toggle switch

Saturday -
Almost died due to an oil leak of my own making
Unkinked Crankcase breather hose
Replaced the seal that I caused to blow out!
Spent an hour scrubbing up the four quarts of oil that I dumped from the blown seal all over the Fire Station Driveway!

Sunday -
Left well enough alone!
It is the Day of Rest. And football.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Even though it’s for sale, I still treated it to a thorough cleaning and fresh oil change.
Ready for storage until March…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StarrRider and JAT

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
94 Posts
I put gas in it at 06:00 and rode to work. Getting ready to ride home. 😇

·
Registered
919 Posts
Even though it’s for sale, I still treated it to a thorough cleaning and fresh oil change.
Ready for storage until March…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice ride! The bike too. (y) My sister had a Cutlass 442 with that same paint scheme.

Reactions: nate6966

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
94 Posts
I was looking at getting an adaptive headlight, but wound up going with another LED and have been happy with it. I'm very interested to see how yours turns out. Is that a 3d printed bracket?

Reactions: Tankslapper

·
Registered
2008, 1800C
73 Posts
I was looking at getting an adaptive headlight, but wound up going with another LED and have been happy with it. I'm very interested to see how yours turns out. Is that a 3d printed bracket?
Yeah first printed thing I’ve ever seen.. looks odd for sure. I don’t ride at night often where it’s needed (kangaroos & wallabies) but pretty well any bike has a crap OEM light so will see how it looks. I’ve got an insta360 2 & will get & post a vid from behind / above to show how it goes

1961 - 1980 of 2001 Posts