Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple days my ride has been acting up. the occasional backfire, sometimes through the carb, sometimes out the pipes. If im at low cruising speeds, sometimes it will just spit and sputter for no reason, then its perfectly fine. Sometimes i go to jump out of my lane in traffic or to cross the road or something and its a tossup as to how the bike is going to respond. It may be business as usual, it may fall on its face.

At first i thought it was crappy gass. I had just gotten a full tank, but I had filled up at a shell with a full tank of high octane. The only other thing that has happened in the last couple days is i took the bike to a guy that hand washes so i thought it was maybe water or something in the carb or something, but that was yesterday and since then i've filled the tank up and put more than enough miles on the bike to dry out water that would have made its way into something electrical.

It almost sounds/feels like fuel. I dont see the lights fritzing out, so i'm thinking its not electrical. The tank appears to be clean inside

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
the obvious one.... loose battery connections? possible pet**** vacume leak? No fuel filter that I know of.... dirty carb?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
helps to know what you are riding ...

but first off, lose the high octane ... its a waste of money and
is just giving you crappy performance, lousy gas mileage and
fouled plugs ...

second, if you are on an 1800 tighten the battery cables ... #1
cause of problems on these bikes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Simple Solution

Had the same excat thing happen to me, the plugs had fouled.. Changed them and was ready to tun... Good Riding:tools:

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
He rides a 1300 Retro..

Hey Pal, loose the High Test Gas!! No Good for U ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would personally change the plugs and run some seafoam thru in the gas. Sounds like you may have something mucking up the intake.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If new plugs don't get you going, it could be the vacuum controlled
pet**** going bad. Happened to me and a couple others on here.

·
Registered
173 Posts

fouled plugs ...

second, if you are on an 1800 tighten the battery cables ... #1
cause of problems on these bikes.
Exile,
His sig line says, "2005 1300R, Kuryakyn Hypercharger"

High octane fouls plugs? Who knew?

I ran premium for a couple thousand miles before I was learn't :smile: better here. The only change when I started using regular was a drop in cost of filling up. My mileage didn't changed and she still runs like a bat-out-of-heck ... just like she did with the expensive gas.

Mikevtx05,
If it were me, I would dump a can of Sea-Foam in a full tank of gas and go for a good hard run. That works for my son's Shadow when it doesn't get out and go-hard often enough.

Good luck and we hope it is something minor.

·
Registered
944 Posts

fouled plugs ...
+1 on the gas and fouled plugs. Honda has the bike setup for lower octane and no improvement will be made using a higher one.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Seafoam = nectar of the GODS! lol.... buy it at Napa, Schucks, AutoZone... it works

·
Registered
341 Posts
whats seafoam?

As far as I'm concerned its the miracle additive... LOL... it cleans just about anything out of the fuel system. Great for radiator flushes too. You can pick it up at just about any auto parts store.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kinda Sounds like the Ground proublem that tay talk
about on the TECH board. Not sure if it applys to the 1300
but I would post on the TECH board and see who mite chime in and help answer this ?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think its a ground problem. I'm not seeing any flickering of lights. It sounds as though its a fuel problem to me. Another think that it does is if I let the engine brake the bike i get a popcorn sound. And there are times when i give it gas and there is a definate drop in power, but if i twist the throttle more, it picks back up.

i think the fouled plugs/crappy gas is the most likely answer.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
For 50 years, my dad was a Stabil guy. Recently, he discovered the magic of Seafoam and now I think he buys it a case at a time!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I don't think its a ground problem. I'm not seeing any flickering of lights. It sounds as though its a fuel problem to me. Another think that it does is if I let the engine brake the bike i get a popcorn sound. And there are times when i give it gas and there is a definate drop in power, but if i twist the throttle more, it picks back up.

Check your airfilter for moisture. JD

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

the ground problem tends the plague the 1800 because of the
electronics and poor grounding ...

you might also want to check for any pinched or bent hoses ...

or a plugged fuel filter

or if you have done any carb work if the float got bumped.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts