Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back on two wheels for the first time in more than a decade and just curious as to what people are wearing in the rain? Warm weather rain gear, not cold weather. I'll be asking that in the fall I'm sure. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
I bought a Stearns jacket (WallyWorld) back in London, KY on the way to 2005 Homecoming. A misty and cool morning. Later I bought the pants. It has served me
well over the years. On my 2nd set now. Zipper and the zipper cover get tangled sometimes. Other than that it has been good. In the summer I carry a jean jacket,
sweat shirt and rain suit. Higher elevations it might be in the 50's. Mt Mitchell is 51*F right now. Mountains have a micro climate.
A usual shower daily. The rain suit is great to have in sudden cold temps in the mountains.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Many suits of raingear are wasted by the pants getting melted on pipes. Make sure they have a burn-proof inner leg panel. I have a Tour Master hooded jacket, same matching pants w/ suspenders, and slip-over booties, and a pair of wet weather gloves with a thumb wiper for my full face modular helmet. On the 8 hr. ride to So. W. Va. a couple summers ago, must've stopped and put on/ took off at least a half dozen times. They retain body heat pretty well and I didn't want to be soaked from the inside out.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Frog togs, are pretty popular. You need a set that you can put on relatively easily. If not, they'll be too much trouble, and you will be too much wet most of the time.
I also have a thin, lightweight set (takes up less space) that I carry around on the bike for those times when closer to home.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Just FYI Frogg Toggs will melt too.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'm back on two wheels for the first time in more than a decade and just curious as to what people are wearing in the rain? Warm weather rain gear, not cold weather. I'll be asking that in the fall I'm sure. Thanks in advance for your input.
It rains very little in Arizona and also very easy to avoid, i own no rain gear. I also don't do cross country type rides..ie ride to Alaska etc.
I have been caught in the rain ONCE while leaving the grocery store on my Shadow Aero, it poured hard during monsoon,
i was totally soaked when i got home and the bike was drenched. had to wipe it off right away then come back and do the exhaust. I had tons of chrome on the bike. Water spots suck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
i was totally soaked when i got home and the bike was drenched. had to wipe it off right away then come back and do the exhaust. I had tons of chrome on the bike. Water spots suck.
Aw c'mon, you didn't take off your wet clothes first?:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Frog toggs are in the saddle bag. I have them rolled up in a small canvas zip bag.

Typically if I'm on a long ride I have my riding pants on, (with a waterproof liner) and will wear the rain jacket if needed. Along with a pair of latex gloves over my riding gloves. Last October the entire way across Arkansas and a good way into Oklahoma it down poured, I stayed compleatly dry at 70+ mph.

If I'm out running around/semi close to home and get caught in the rain I'll ride wet. Worst part is my boots are waterproof but the water will run down my jeans, socks act like a wick, and my boots actually fill with water.... lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
my bike is always clean,,

but I take care of me first.

last drenching.. my leather jacket weigh almost 3 times it weight.... and took 5 days to hang dry.

my 2005,, has 2 stone chips in the front of the fuel tank
the leading edge of the front fender is showing metal
lower radiator caw is stone chipped a bit..
92,500 miles. and ZERO rust anyplace. even the nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It rains very little in Arizona and also very easy to avoid, i own no rain gear. I also don't do cross country type rides..ie ride to Alaska etc.
I have been caught in the rain ONCE while leaving the grocery store on my Shadow Aero, it poured hard during monsoon,
I stand corrected, i do own some rain gear. My silver Joe Rocket jacket has the removable rain/wind liner and i do wear it on long rides or small trips, especially when in a group. (y)

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I'm a fair weather rider now but back when I rode regardless of weather I owned the step in, zip up, full coverall style rain gear. with a good seal at ankles and wrists and a high collar and full face helmet you can arrive at your destination bone dry (get some good gauntlet gloves). The better rain suits have built in reflective material and consider buying a size larger to allow you to wear a jacket under it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I started out with Frogg Toggs. They did well and I could always find some on sale. After a few years I discovered I had way more tops than bottoms??? Ah, yep the exhaust jumped out and assaulted the bottoms.

I then wen to not so cheap Olympia rain suit. I still had to put the thing on before it rained to do any good which was always a comic routine unless I was in a hotel room. It worked well but when the rain stopped and the sun came out I got a free sauna treatment.

Then I discovered Gore Tex. Not cheap but no rain suit to fight with. If it rains I zip up the vents. If it is hot I open the vents. If it is sort of cool then rains traveling at highway speeds I may need to add to my base layer.

My main long distance touring uniform is the KLIM Badlands top and bottom with various Gore Tex gloves for rain plus a pair of Joe Rocket recharge battery ones along with a set of plug in Tour Masters.. I have not used the Tourmasters but maybe once and Joe Rocket seldom.

Boots? Early in my rejoining the motorcycling community I purchased SIDI On Road Touring Gore Tex boots. I did not want wet feet. I switched over to the SIDI Adventure Gore Tex boots. Since I broke my leg I thought they would give me more protection but my On Roads are more comfortable. However, I discovered a pair of my surplus military boots are Gore Tex also so I could have saved some money there.

Helmet, I like the Shoei Neo Tech and Neo Tech II for comfort and quiet. My HJC modular was very good also just not as quiet. I am big on the modular style. It keeps most rain out, sort of quiet, and still opens for a drink of water or to scratch my chin. I personally do not like full face although I do know they provide better protection. But each to their own.

Of course on a hot day the rain is a welcomed air conditioner.

Gore Tex is expensive but I recommend if a person is serious about riding long distance/touring and comfort in not so perfect weather spend the money. If I would have spent the $$ 12 years ago I would have saved enough to have bought two sets of my present riding gear. I do not have any complaints about my Olympia gear except it is not Gore Tex thus a rain suit is needed.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
For several years (2007 - 2016) I did several long trips per year. I'll define 'long" as round trips over 1000 miles. I carried 'rain gear' and sometimes it was a blessing. But, If you have no choice but to continue on, and it's raining hard, you're wet. That's it! I've had to wring out cash, leave my docs (which I carry in my wallet) out overnite to dry. Riding in the rain sucks. Riding in steady unrelenting rain when you have to get somewhere is an adventure.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
2006 a ride to Mt Mitchell. It started to rain.
I took the route to Marion, NC via NC 80 to US 70 to I-40.
3 hours there, 6 hours back. A stop at a hardware store to get a something for my son.
That shredded, stopped at a WallyWorld for a rainsuit. Drained water out of boots.
Stopped under an overpass when I-40 near Asheville had a few inches of standing water and visibility
was nil. Some of the group took a different exit. Finally got back together after it slacked off.
One couple had enough and spent the night in a motel in Flanklin,NC.
The absolute worst rain event I have ever been in on a MC.
Pretty much wet all over!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you folks so much for your responses. Gonna start with Frog Toggs and go from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank you folks so much for your responses. Gonna start with Frog Toggs and go from there.
Not a bad choice, that's is what I have. When,not if you get some of your pants leg left on the exhaust just clean with oven cleaner. Keep the cleaner the paint, it works great

1 - 20 of 38 Posts