Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Have a set of Frog Togs, used once. Still need to iron on the exhaust patch -- came with them and you really need this. Younger days of riding: no rain gear, just wind dry and use a plastic baggie for your wallet. These older days, I don't get out in the rain on purpose. But will do so for a good reason.
馃憤

Registered
Having ridden 11 days straight, all day, from Darwin to Adelaide around the east coast of Australia as a younger man I now try very hard not to ride in the rain. Sometimes I carry light yachting gear as it folds up nicely and fits in a small carry bag. My favourite thing to wear if it looks like rain is imminent is a car.

Registered
Have a set of Frog Togs, used once. Still need to iron on the exhaust patch -- came with them and you really need this. Younger days of riding: no rain gear, just wind dry and use a plastic baggie for your wallet. These older days, I don't get out in the rain on purpose. But will do so for a good reason.
I take an extra baggie for my phone.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

Registered
Oven cleaner and 0000 steel wool for burnt on pipes. And you WILL!

Reactions: leroys73

Registered
It rains very little in Arizona and also very easy to avoid, i own no rain gear. I also don't do cross country type rides..ie ride to Alaska etc.
I have been caught in the rain ONCE while leaving the grocery store on my Shadow Aero, it poured hard during monsoon,
i was totally soaked when i got home and the bike was drenched. had to wipe it off right away then come back and do the exhaust. I had tons of chrome on the bike. Water spots suck.
i was kind of wrong again, i've been caught in the rain a few times, what i said was the worst downpour.
Yeah, there was that time riding to Globe from Mesa that it rained, not super hard but the roads were wet for awhile,
remember those cliffs taking those turns at 75MPH+, rode with another biker up there, we wen't fooling around. Been drizzled on too before a few times. But overall NOT much rain down here. Monsoon can get crazy but even that usually doesn't last very long, i've seen it rain down here harder than anywhere else i've been in the midwest, sheets of water coming down for an Hour, then goes away.....

Registered
Aerostich Darien jacket and pants, whether it is raining or not. Underlayers and gauntlet gloves when it gets colder.
Best test was last November on I10 in west Texas with temps 39 - 41 and rain, freezing rain, and rain all day. Fortunately, got some breaks in precip and clouds lifted in a few spots around the sisters. Still got cold, but stayed dry and got to where I was heading by the end of the day.
Most riding is commuting and choose the pickup when the forecast is certain rain. Otherwise short spurts on the way home are not big deal. I might stay off the freeway, when that's an option.

Registered
Years ago i rode in the rain had to at times not today if it is going to rain i i go in my boat fishing it has a top bike stays dry in my garage

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Frogg toggs pro lite ordered today. Will be here Tuesday. I will update thread first time I am in rain riding with them on and give an honest review or their proformance.(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
performance. Damn it.

Registered
I'm back on two wheels for the first time in more than a decade and just curious as to what people are wearing in the rain? Warm weather rain gear, not cold weather. I'll be asking that in the fall I'm sure. Thanks in advance for your input.
I have had the problem with the pipes melting my rain pants and it isn't easy cleaning the pipes. I read somewhere that getting a piece of scrap leather and strapping it to your leg somehow will help. At 76 I rarely ride in the rain so I have not tried it.

Registered
For jacket I have Immersion Research, Zephyr, paddle jacket. Used to use NRS brand but the Immersion Research holds up better and has a larger neck opening. These are kayak, paddle jackets and completely block the wind and rain so they are a great outer layer colder weather too. The neck and sleeves seal so no air leaks in these areas. They breath about as well as any waterproof material is going to...not too well. I just have Sierra Design rain pants which you could wear under chaps if melting is an issue. Was surprised at how well leather chaps blocked the wind and cold. When it gets below 40 F just wear a snowmobile suit which is also water proof. Had a trog rain suit on on a ride in a torrential downpour and it shredded.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you folks for all your input. Frogg Toggs came today. I look at these as the cheap entry level into this venture and will revisit this thread for the next purchase. My pipes aren't an issue as they are under our feet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
I bought a set of Nelson Riggs and like them well but I do need to get some boot covers.
That was the name I was trying to think of. Back in the day, that was the brand I had.

Registered
I suggest riding naked. It is cheap and can be quite exhilarating in the rain.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts