Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
There was precisely that situation here in the Pacific northwest. Fella riding darkside slid off a turn in the rain, striking the guardrail. Insurance initially helped out, but as days at the hospital turned into weeks and eventually death, the insurance company denied the claim, refused coverage, and left the widow with massive medical debt and no support.
Now that looks almost like mine! Except for my bags, and powdered wheels!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
First, I am not a darksider

just a little History .. ( I know many hate this )

Goodyear Tire company ( USA )
used to make motorcycle tires.. ( pre Dunlop )

both in round profile... and flat ( car like profile )...

mostly for sidecar use... so for sidecar AND rear Drive tire.....

production stopped about 1980... deal with it..

·
Old Goat
24,184 Posts
Yeah, I think the people who design these machines get paid a lot of money to decide which wheel and tire work best on them. But naturally, there's always going to be some Yah-hoo in Podunk, who feels he's a lot smarter than Honda's Engineers. And the famous last words of most of them is, "HEY Y'ALL!! WATCH THIS!!!".
I’m proud to be one of those “Yahoo’s in Podunk”...:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
darkside... started during world war One...... more in world war two...

deal with it...

no reason to insult...
its HISTORY...

to an extended point...
NO trailers behind bikes.. I started pulling a cargo trailer behind my 83 Goldwing in 83...

no bike is "OKed" to tow anything.

NO aftermarket ANYTHING..... only Factory offered accessories....
NO custom bikes...

< Wait > motorcycles were made before a company started to produce motorcycles..

the very first motorcycle was Made of WOOD...

same with Cars...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mods

Yeah, I think the people who design these machines get paid a lot of money to decide which wheel and tire work best on them. But naturally, there's always going to be some Yah-hoo in Podunk, who feels he's a lot smarter than Honda's Engineers. And the famous last words of most of them is, "HEY Y'ALL!! WATCH THIS!!!".
I have done many modifications to these honda motorcycles for the better of performance where some engineers have definately dropped the ball. Behind the desk does not know real world performance if it stuck in their ars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
darkside... started during world war One...... more in world war two...

deal with it...

no reason to insult...
its HISTORY...

to an extended point...
NO trailers behind bikes.. I started pulling a cargo trailer behind my 83 Goldwing in 83...

no bike is "OKed" to tow anything.

NO aftermarket ANYTHING..... only Factory offered accessories....
NO custom bikes...
< Wait > motorcycles were made before a company started to produce motorcycles..

IMO, I think there are two schools of thought here: One, is the engineer's ideas that have been tested and applied, and another one which is nothing more than a disclaimer for their insurance, so they don't get sued when someone pulls the WRONG trailer using the WRONG bike, with the WRONG modifications. As a retired truck driver, anyone will tell you that towing anything with anything else, substantially increases the possibility of an accident. So Honda's insurance company advises them to say that anything fun is dangerous. IMHO.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I used to ride with the Cruiser Club in Adelaide which was mostly metric cruisers. As clubs change and evolve the wanna be tough guys started to trade in for Harleys and develop an appropriate attitude. They were considered as "gone to the darkside". Another use of that terminology. Most of those moved on to join a feeder club for the big name clubs. Us metric cruiser riders considered it the darkside in the same way the, already Harley riders, considered the newly Harleyised had seen the light!

·
Registered
104 Posts
First, I am not a darksider

just a little History .. ( I know many hate this )

Goodyear Tire company ( USA )
used to make motorcycle tires.. ( pre Dunlop )

both in round profile... and flat ( car like profile )...

mostly for sidecar use... so for sidecar AND rear Drive tire.....

production stopped about 1980... deal with it..
I do believe you're right!! I think I remember buying Goodyear tires for my 67 Bonneville 650 back in the 70s, and my Sears 50cc before that!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have done many modifications to these honda motorcycles for the better of performance where some engineers have definately dropped the ball. Behind the desk does not know real world performance if it stuck in their ars.
Sure. I don't understand why these companies hire engineers to design their products instead of taxi drivers, baby sitters, gardeners, carpenters, etc. Engineers don't ride motorcycles, they just sit behind their desk all day long, drink coffe, chat on their smartphone and design stupid things, but never step out of the door of their office and don't have real life.
:joke:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
IMO, I think there are two schools of thought here: One, is the engineer's ideas that have been tested and applied, and another one which is nothing more than a disclaimer for their insurance, so they don't get sued when someone pulls the WRONG trailer using the WRONG bike, with the WRONG modifications. As a retired truck driver, anyone will tell you that towing anything with anything else, substantially increases the possibility of an accident. So Honda's insurance company advises them to say that anything fun is dangerous. IMHO.
Towing a trailer with a motorcycle is fun. Hmmm... Really? I think riding a motorcycle without a trailer is fun.
Anyway, this is how insurance companies work. They don't care about risks (it's obviously not their business), they just care about what is fun and what is not. Once, somebody said, towing anything with anything else, substantially increases the possibility of an accident, but this is BS and insurance companies know it. Right?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Engineers.... I guess many have never met... or worked beside any...

they LOVE to get there hands dirty... Engine and suspension types.

< History >... look up the "RamChargers"..... Chrysler engineers... after work hours.

Zora Arkus-Duntov,, he took Chevy and Corvette into world racing.. he was an engineer.. He pushed Chevy.. not the other way around.

I am NOT nor ever was an engineer... but spoke and worked with a few...

but 2 years of engineering school..
life and lack of money killed that dream..

Companies....= accountants, bean counter, lawyers, then engineers...
that is the order of most companies.. so DO NOT Blame engineers..

when there higher up's has the final say.. about everything.

FACTS FIRST... not b/s.

the biggest Company override of its engineers.
Space Shuttle Challenger disaster

my limited education OPINION.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

< History >... look up the "RamChargers"..... Chrysler engineers... after work hours.

Zora Arkus-Duntov,, he took Chevy and Corvette into world racing.. he was an engineer.. He pushed Chevy.. not the other way around.

FACTS FIRST... not b/s.
Before being misunderstood, my post was an ironic statement...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Before being misunderstood, my post was an ironic statement...

I am Sorry.. .. it was not meant to YOU...

just statements of uneducated people.. that blame engineers..

when its Companies at fault..

like the GM key switch issue .. so air bags failed to deploy ... lowest bidder.. then GM allow the low bidder to alter there design. to save more money..

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I don't get why anyone could care less what anyone else does with their bike. But, I feel that way about most things. I mean there are tons of guys that put huge off road tires on their 4X4s (that never go off road) just to scrub them off driving back and forth to work. I think it's dumb (and kinda comical) but, I'd never try to dissuade them.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I don't get why anyone could care less what anyone else does with their bike. But, I feel that way about most things. I mean there are tons of guys that put huge off road tires on their 4X4s (that never go off road) just to scrub them off driving back and forth to work. I think it's dumb (and kinda comical) but, I'd never try to dissuade them.

Morning Jimbo... I did not know you came down here to TEXAS.???>:):grin2:

a few of these trucks.. you need a 3 foot step ladder to get into them....
running Semi-truck wheels ... 19.5"....

6,8,10 inch lift..

the under side is as clean an shinny as the top side...
to go back and forth to work... in an office..

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Mid-70's. I had a CB450. So did my friend Hank. He put 6" over stock tubes (Pa. legal limit), I followed suit. Then he got a HD rim + ARCO fat tire and had it laced to his Honda hub. THAT was so cool, of course I did it too. I added a set of modest pullbacks and a modified low king/ queen seat, with trident sissy bar, and I was Peter Fonda! And a set of shorty baffled mufflers for the badass sound to piss off the neighborhood.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Engineers

that is the order of most companies.. so DO NOT Blame engineers..

when there higher up's has the final say.. about everything.

FACTS FIRST... not b/s.

the biggest Company override of its engineers.
Space Shuttle Challenger disaster

my limited education OPINION.
Doesn't mean there always right. I'm proud to be uneducated, read my paragraphs.:wink2:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Big trucks

Morning Jimbo... I did not know you came down here to TEXAS.???>:):grin2:

a few of these trucks.. you need a 3 foot step ladder to get into them....
running Semi-truck wheels ... 19.5"....

6,8,10 inch lift..

the under side is as clean an shinny as the top side...
to go back and forth to work... in an office..
And a big attitude to go with them sometimes. Been cut off a few times from these little dongs form Hong Kong's.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
OK, 1972 on a 1972 CB750... added a 850 kit.. Honda Works camshaft and rockers... electronic points...

and a few other things....

10 inch over Franks Forks.. rear dropped 2 1/2 inches
Jardene headers with shorty mufflers..
oversized drive chain and sprockets... 630. notice NO chain guard...
blacked out engine... with polished cases..
custom handlebars..

all of that to a NEW Motorcycle...

engine had less then 500 miles when removed for 850 kit.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Doesn't mean there always right. I'm proud to be uneducated, read my paragraphs.:wink2:

never said they were.....

engineers do not get the final word.....

show me a person that NEVER made a mistake..

I have been WRONG before... and will AGAIN.. I am HUMAN...

like voicing my opinion on the internet...

21 - 40 of 56 Posts