Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years few things have fallen off my bike, all due to my negligence. The latest are my riding glasses today that I hung on the handlebar then forgot to pick up. It fell off and was quickly crushed under car tires. Years ago one of my bags fell off because I did not re fasten it after taking something out. Somebody actually picked it up caught with me. I had not realized what had actually happened. The most dangerous thing you can do is try to retrieve whatever fell off. Not worth it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Many years ago on a bike I no longer own, I lost a bungee cord, it came loose, fell on the road, when I got to my next stop I noticed it was gone. Now that I have a sissy bar bag, I secure it with cable ties. I keep plastic cable ties, different sizes in my garage, they come in handy for many things. When you hand tie things they could come loose.

·
Registered
157 Posts
this past spring,

my clear reading glasses got blown out of my shirt pocket. ( $ 400.00 )
as I was wearing my prescription sun glasses.

I going southbound at 75, semi-truck going about same northbound.. plus truck had a 40 mph tail wind.
a not so good day of riding

my left shoulder was black and blue for a week. yes reading glasses were in my left pocket.
glasses were crushed.

I have costly eye glasses, bad eyes since birth.
51 years of motorcycle riding , first time I lost anything while riding.
so I got a MS batwing with the 3 pockets behind the windshield.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My not so fun 'make sure your bags are properly locked' experience last year:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yukon at a gas station had to remove the Ultimate backrest to remove the rain seat cover. Got gas and left. A few hours later got gas again and continued on. Somewhere about 4 hours later after removing the seat cover was riding down the Alaska highway and wondering why I was able to lean back so far, crap no backrest! When I took it out I put it on top of my rear milk crate carrier and rode away. Wasn't gonna lose 8 hours to go back and try to find it. But I realized I really didn't need a backrest. Called the gas station after I got home but nothing.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
F650GS going up the Dempster, Dempster is nearly 1000 mi. of dirt round trip. At the beginning I removed my top case as bike is easier to handle w/o all the top weight and it is a one way road and I need to return to the start, hid the case in the bush. Made my own aluminum mounts to put the case on the rear rack of the bike. Used velcro on the underside brackets to aid in getting all the bolt holes lined up, bracket, rear rack, mount plate, and top case. Well when I removed the case I forgot to pull the left bracket off the velcro. Remembered this 50 miles up the Dempster at the lower visitor center. So it was 50 dirt miles back to the start and then return 50 dirt miles up searching for it, never found it. That is why the left side of the case was strapped on for the remainder of the trip.

IMGP3102.jpg

·
Super Moderator
63,719 Posts
Two, 18 inch long sub sandwiches.
I had stopped to get dinner on my Ultra Classic, 2 subs. After that I kept thinking "I want a nice cold Pepsi too" so I stopped to get a couple bottles at a station. I came out, opened the trunk to toss in the soda, realized I had to move the subs and chips out of the way so I put the subs on top of the saddlebag next to the fender. I moved a few things around, put the bottles in and chips on top and closed the trunk and away I went. I got home, opened the trunk and took out the chips and soda and the......... DAMN IT!!!!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Twice I lost reading glasses out of my shirt pocket on the LT over 100mph. When you get going fast it creates a vacuum behind the windshield, pulls your shirt/jacket forward, feels like a push against your back, the glasses come out of the pocket, smack the windshield, and are gone off to the side.

On the X in Wyoming lost one lens of my sunglasses trying to remove them with the full face helmet on.

Bought the LT in Florida, flew down to pick it up. Riding home on 95 the left added on footpeg fell off, there was some traffic and I didn't try to get it. Regretted that when I found out that one peg would be about $150 to replace. It has never been replaced. The right side sits on a shelf at home.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I was running down the highway with some other riders - and the right-front billet axle cover thingy on the Road King came off, bounced once or twice and hit my buddy in the shin. He pulled over, hopped around a bit - with some amount of moaning and groaning and cussing. It raised quite a goose egg.

He was muttering......"GD Harleys - $hit falling of them all the f'n time " !!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was on a 200 mile day ride about a month ago. Got the bike in garage and noticed sidemount tag mount gone along with the tag :cautious: . A screw broke in half on one of the vertical post.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Heading to school I stomped on the heel shifter and the damn thing near got stuck between the frame & floor board. Apparently, I'd lost the shifter rod. A good reminder to check those bolts are tight [beware: one is counter-threaded].

Riding out from MA years ago, I stopped for gas. As I was pulling out of the station I lost it in the turn...bc the Vetter trunk was sliding off the bracket. It was hanging on by the only remaining bolt...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I often carry a bottle of water in the cupholder attached to the handlebar. One of these days it is going to fly right out. I can see it lifted off halfway above a certain speed. It's not of much value but I am concerned hitting someone following me.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Years ago was hauling a bag of seed corn for the farmer. The bag fell off and broke all over. Worth over 300 dollars.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
A funny story (now) about losing a part. After one of my very close friends completed his hitch in the USMC he came home and decided he also wanted a bike. I found him a shovelhead engine and trans, and a aftermarket (Paco?) ridged frame. Well, somehow he fudged up mounting the rear fender, and it dropped onto the rear tire. Fender did a half revolution with the wheel and was slung out. He had to hold himself up off the rear tire to get the bike stopped. Not easy with forward controls. It coulda been real bad. Luckily we still ride together quite a bit (40 yrs. later) and "fender check" has become our term for 'general inspection'. I lost a really great pair of electric boot dryers my late Mom had given me. My fault, didn't secure flap of tailbag properly. Pissed me off. I've never found another pair that worked half as good. I've lost so many pairs of sunglasses that about 15 years ago I started wearing goggles.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I like the T shirt that says on the back "If you can read this the bitch has fallen off"
I saw one on a lady that said "I'm the BITCH that fell off!"

·
Registered
151 Posts
Had a pack of the Blue Pills in my shirt pocket.
Gust of wind hit me and they went flying out.
Always carry a few spares now and not in the pocket.

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
734 Posts
Interesting timing of this. Yesterday I rode to and from the dentist. On my way back my Polk Audio mm692 cover popped off on the exit ramp about a mile from my house. Polk was already going to replace it, as it wasn't staying on (the other side was perfect).

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Been fortunate haven't lost much but one was expensive..

Lost a highway peg somewhere along I-10 near Fondu , sorry, Funiak Springs, FL.

Early in owning my VTX I had a Polar Bear 12pk soft ice chest, I thought I had securely bungeed it on, less than 20 miles from home a motorist informed me that I was dragging something. I resecured it with a spare bungee to complete my 600 mile ride. Not sure why but it didn't keep the ice very well after that and no water from the melted ice remained in it. So, I saved it for the ride, not sure that counts.

I lost a Garmin Zumo 660 in St. Louis while on my RSV. I was sure pissed. I bought it just before this trip. I was returning from the annual Moonshine Lunch Run. I was rounding a rough clover leaf and the Zumo lost its nerve and went for a walk.:mad: No need to go back for it, at that speed and traffic I would only have wasted time.

I almost always took it off when leaving the MC. The previous fuel stop I did not. Upon exiting the convenience store I saw a fellow walking away from my MC. I suspect he was in the process of liberating it but lacked time to get it completed. Therefore, it was loose.

I bought another one but spent $$$ for the locking mounting bracket.

Lessons learned: Use one or more securing devices than you think you need, always stop around 25 to 50 miles to check you stuff, use blue Loctite on all bolts and recheck them. Praying helps too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts