Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Reading Ed's sunglasses event reminded me of a buddy's experience.

We were in Yosemite Nat'l. Nature called. My buddy went into the pit toilet to take care of business. He reappeared and a little irritated.

He said to me, there is a sign just above the toilet that says do not throw things in the toilet as they are difficult to get out. I said, yes, I imagine that is true.

Then he told me his sunglasses fell in. I replied by telling him that yes it will be difficult but I will try to hold your feet while you retrieve them. He gave me the one finger salute and we saddled up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like the T shirt that says on the back "If you can read this the bitch has fallen off"
I have that shirt. I get a lot of positive comments

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Not today, the last thing I lost was an engine guard mounted highway foot peg from my VT1100C I use to own. Last thing I almost lost was on my last trip to Idaho on my VTX I almost lost my right road house muffler. I had put new crush gasket in and had to loosen it again after tightening it to level the exhaust. It had gotten dark on me where I was working on it out side and I forgot to re-tighten it. I was going down the freeway in Utah and the bike suddenly got a little louder, just enough for me to notice and I pulled over immediately and it was almost off. I am so glad it stayed on I had some spare nuts with me but one of the two bolts was gone. (I guess those nuts and the bolt are the last thing I lost). Anyway one "tight" bolt held it for the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a set of cobra long shots been on the bike for a long time. I never knew there were 2 pieces. Riding home one day from work all of a sudden the bike got super loud and I said what the h**ll. Lost the back half of the top pipe. No one behind me because of course I was wot. Went back to try to find it no luck. Now have Vance and Hines. One piece pipe and sounds better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably 8-10 years back on my Black/blue VT1100, i had a motorola razr phone fly out of my shirt pocket on Arizona freeway...... never even gave 1 thought about retrieving it. Knew it was shattered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over the years few things have fallen off my bike, all due to my negligence. The latest are my riding glasses today that I hung on the handlebar then forgot to pick up. It fell off and was quickly crushed under car tires. Years ago one of my bags fell off because I did not re fasten it after taking something out. Somebody actually picked it up caught with me. I had not realized what had actually happened. The most dangerous thing you can do is try to retrieve whatever fell off. Not worth it.
Same thing happens to me. Reading Glasses, Phone, etc.

I swtiched over to these magnetic reading glasses, and since then never lost my glasses again in over 8 years. They have 1 to 4 magnification. Mostly wear prescription sunglasses, and then place these magnetics around my neck, and they don't ever blow off for me.

click it reading glasses

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was doing a poker run and we all met at the hooters next to the Indian Dealership. It was the first run in a while so I had the VTX on the charger overnight just to make sure it would fire up in the cold. At about the 3rd stop I realize that one of the side covers must have flown off and I was starring at a big dead spot instead of a shiny spot of chrome. I finished the run and enjoyed the post run festivities. We rode back to my house and said our goodbyes and I took off and did the first 3 stops again and a much slower speed. I look a few time, but never found it.
I am now waiting on a replacement part from Partzilla. I ordered a replacement for the right side and I received a box marked right side, but with a left side part. Returned it and received another box marked right side, but a left side part. Returned it again and I am waiting on a new one, but they are going to have it checked in the warehouse before shipping. I will eventually get my replacement.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was doing a poker run and we all met at the hooters next to the Indian Dealership. It was the first run in a while so I had the VTX on the charger overnight just to make sure it would fire up in the cold. At about the 3rd stop I realize that one of the side covers must have flown off and I was starring at a big dead spot instead of a shiny spot of chrome. I finished the run and enjoyed the post run festivities. We rode back to my house and said our goodbyes and I took off and did the first 3 stops again and a much slower speed. I look a few time, but never found it.
I am now waiting on a replacement part from Partzilla. I ordered a replacement for the right side and I received a box marked right side, but with a left side part. Returned it and received another box marked right side, but a left side part. Returned it again and I am waiting on a new one, but they are going to have it checked in the warehouse before shipping. I will eventually get my replacement.

Have you tried ordering the left side just to see what happens?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Probably 8-10 years back on my Black/blue VT1100, i had a motorola razr phone fly out of my shirt pocket on Arizona freeway...... never even gave 1 thought about retrieving it. Knew it was shattered.
Last year, I hit a pothole that was bout 4-5 deep. I thought I was going to go down, but luckily the bike took it (I thank having progressive fork springs) without bottoming out. But my iPhone X knocked out of the holder. I was in the HOV lane of the Long Island Expressway on my way to work.

I had to go back, to use my AppleCare you have to bring in the old phone. The display and back were shattered, but the phone was still online and connecting to wifi.

Later that evening I was at the Apple Store with a replacement phone and everything restoring from my icloud backup. The Apple employee said it was the worst damage they had ever seen. I said, yeah, that's what dropping it at 75 mph on a highway does to a phone...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Owning a 20071800F, aftermarket parts can be few and far between and this goes for engine guards. I ended up making my own "TIP BAR" as I call it... a tube that runs in front of the radiator and out to the full extents of port and starboard. I made threaded solid ends to cap things off. In my haste to see how it all worked in harmony with the bike, I didn't tighten the set screw and never did. I looked down days later to find one was missing... 2-3 lbs of solid stainless bouncing down the highway at 60 mph is all I envision... silver lining was that since I needed to remake the cap I made 2 new ones but 4" longer to work as highway pegs...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting timing of this. Yesterday I rode to and from the dentist. On my way back my Polk Audio mm692 cover popped off on the exit ramp about a mile from my house. Polk was already going to replace it, as it wasn't staying on (the other side was perfect).

Let me know how it goes. I MAY have a set of these ovals I didn't use in my build... I'd need to check, but the exact same speakers...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I MAY have a set of these ovals I didn't use in my build... I'd need to check, but the exact same speakers...
Thanks! I may take you up on it, if they don't get here.

They actually warrantied a set of mm692's that I blew by accidentally flipping the amp to low pass when tuning it (Rockford Fosgate tm400x2ad). It immediately blew the built in crossover. I actually ordered another set of mm692 before contacting Polk Audio, since I it was my fault. I was searching the web, seeing compliments about them replacing speakers, so I contacted them, just to see what my options were, they right away said, oh, we'll replace those for you if you send us a screen shot of the receipt (got them on amazon). Amazing customer service, I mean I started with, "I damaged the speakers by flipping to low pass..."

They said they were months behind with sending out replacements, but since I bought new speakers, I am in no rush. It's been over a month.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
During the five plus decades that I've been riding, I've lost quite a few things off many bikes. Some of the more notable were: Antenna whip fell off Gold Wing while climbing Pike's Peak. Found it on the way down. Carburetor on old Sportster fell off when the engine backfired. It was hanging by the throttle cable. Put it back on but the battery was dead so it wouldn't start. Bump started it and rode it home with my knee holding the carburetor in place. One NH winter night while riding home from teaching at the Technical Institute in Concord, the bungie cord holding my brief case to the rear carrier slipped off and the briefcase fell off, opened up, and spewed my student's papers all over the road. Picking up thing sheets of paper from rough asphalt is almost impossible.

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
Back in the day gave a girl a ride On my 650 down in the river bottoms....lost her somewhere on the trail and didnt have the Tee shirt... ;)..she never said a word ...backed track and found her...madder than hell...(y)

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Oh, i remembered another fall off. Guess I am losing my memory. LOL

I was hauling butt on US 50 in Ohio. I had my meds, CPAP, toiletries, and a change of clothes in an almost new, not cheap, waterproof bag securely fastened to my luggage rack, I thought.

There was some truck traffic I had passed earlier and a tractor or two, not many cars. I checked my mirrors at the exact time my bag decided to go solo. There was almost no shoulder fit for a cruiser but I stopped on the road, dismounted, and left the X running for a Quick get away..

I ran back to retrieve the bag before it got ran over. I was successful. It only had a very small hole in it. I hurriedly got back to the X to secure it again.

As I was getting up to speed an 18 wheeler blasted past me. If it would have been a few minutes earlier my stuff would have been roadkill (maybe my X too) and I was 1000+ miles from home.

I resecured with extra straps at the next pull off. I use Rok straps for most tie downs now, plus at least one more than I think I need.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts