Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lost a hwy peg not long after buying my 1800. Went back to find it but no luck. (I did find the pegs on clearance a week later at a local dealer for $35)

This past Monday about 150 miles into a 1050mile ride I thought a reciept flew out of my inside jacket pocket..... nope was my mask. So a few stops of wearing my helmet inside for the bathroom. And getting to hold a paper towel over my nose/mouth so I could order subway was great! (I was hungry and no mask no service in Durango, CO subway)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
This incident happened around 1972. I had a 1971 Honda CL350 'Scrambler' with a white fairing, windshield, and a luggage rack. I would ride it to and from college on weekends. The image below is similar, same color, but no fairing/windshield or luggage rack.

I had a pair of bungee chords I used to tie my text books onto the luggage rack. One trip home I realized one of my text books, 'Morrison and Boyd Organic Chemistry,' had just fallen off the bike's luggage rack. I was in a rather high traffic area in Arlington, TX.

By the time I could stop and get off the bike, at least one car had driven over my book! Several pages had tire tracks that are still visible today!

See the text book images below.

I loved organic chemistry. I was fortunate to have one of the finest Professors in the U.S. Dr. Andrew Ternay.

Also, being a nitwit, I thought I could strap on my text books better, after the first incident, and continue carrying my books home and back. Well, the next time I was riding the backroads home and lost my Botany book!!! Ya' just can't fix stupid!

Joe T.

Reactions: henkvdb

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had my plate fly off in a windstorm once, but the saddest was a submarine sandwich. I had just turned to go up a hill and had the bag across my lap. It had made it half way across town that way. A cross wind filled the bag and parachuted it into the oncoming lane. I slowed down and was about to turn around when a loaded grain hauler B train came over the hill at a full tilt boogie. Between 15 and 20 wheels over the bag. It was like I had to shoot ol yeller. I almost cried.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Not today but last time I rode my chrome rear master cylinder reservoir cap was taken while parked OR fell off. I was not the one who put it on the bike and it was the first time I rode with it. I know that it falling off is the greatest chance/likelihood of those two options. I have one on order and hope it gets here soon and know I will have to flush the fluid first thing. I got the bike out to wash it before riding it and the first thing I saw was that it is missing, so I didn't wash it, just got bummed out.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
This incident happened around 1972. I had a 1971 Honda CL350 'Scrambler' with a white fairing, windshield, and a luggage rack. I would ride it to and from college on weekends. The image below is similar, same color, but no fairing/windshield or luggage rack.

I had a pair of bungee chords I used to tie my text books onto the luggage rack. One trip home I realized one of my text books, 'Morrison and Boyd Organic Chemistry,' had just fallen off the bike's luggage rack. I was in a rather high traffic area in Arlington, TX.

By the time I could stop and get off the bike, at least one car had driven over my book! Several pages had tire tracks that are still visible today!

See the text book images below.

I loved organic chemistry. I was fortunate to have one of the finest Professors in the U.S. Dr. Andrew Ternay.

Also, being a nitwit, I thought I could strap on my text books better, after the first incident, and continue carrying my books home and back. Well, the next time I was riding the backroads home and lost my Botany book!!! Ya' just can't fix stupid!

Joe T.

View attachment 176438

View attachment 176439

View attachment 176440

View attachment 176442
That was my first bike too! I only have 1 pic and can't find it, so thanks for the memory!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Love the tire marks in the book!

I lost the dreaded kickstand pivot cap from my VTX. Rode a few months without it until I had a big-enough order from a motorcycle webpage and threw the cap in. But this is just the warm-up story. :)

About half a year ago, we were horsing around with my buddy in an abandoned parking lot (well, Covid jail time so all parking lots were abandoned LOL). We just built some custom bikes (during Covid jail sentence) and were just "practicing" (in case the police asked) and doing videos of burnouts etc. Riding through the parking lot, I came up on something shiny and chrome on the ground, went right past it thinking "some dufus lost a nice shiny chrome lugnut". We kept "practicing" some more and then went home.
The next day, during "preflight" of my bike, I noticed that one of the axle nuts from my front wheel was missing. A nice shiny chrome axle nut, mind you. I knew immediately where to go look. Jumped in my car and drove through the parking lot left and right numerous time, it was gone. A mowing crew came overnight and could have either taken it or kicked it down a drain.
Solution was simple. Since I did not like the giant nuts anyway, I bought a pair of different ones, with locking nylon inserts. DUH!

But otherwise over the years, the only thing that fell of my bike was this dufus right here. I am talking my dirt bike. Fell off a few times. Or morelike jumped off to ensure it wouldn't crush my leg. You know what they say: "if you don't drop your dirtbike, you ain't learning anything new".

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I had the Flag and pole disappear from my Aero, gone. Since i take a lot of pics i could narrow it down to my recent ride to Payson az. Not only lost the custom made flag pole, but i left a potential road hazard somewhere :(....

going at sustained high speeds combined with the winds did it in.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I installed 2 flags with approximately 8x the square footage area (combined). The poles are not the weak link, the flags themselves are. Or were. I doubled the stitches by the pole, ran a coat of glue on them to stop them from coming apart and hemmed the trailing edge too to prevent fraying. So far numerous trips at hwy speeds (+15) and they are holding as expected. Will keep them for another few weeks and take them off sometime mid-July.
If I lose one (or both), I'll let you know. :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts