Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 VTX 1800 C and I'm running Cobra Boulevard Floorboards #06-1650.
After I had my accident, I seem to remember a "Warning" that was included with my Floor Boards (damned if I can find it now) that eluded to the Floorboards not being able to Fold-up/Flex. I remember I had about 3/4 - 1" of "give" on them.
I've been running my accident Scenario over & over and although I'll never know exactly what happened, one of my Theories is that in my Left Turn, the Floorboard hit the pavement and flexed as far as it could (but not enough) and sent me into the Guard Rail.
I'd like to install a Floorboard that will Fold-up or Flex a hell of a lot more then my old Cobras did, hence my question.
So what Floorboards are you running on your X's? (especially you "C" Model riders)?
I was thinking of going with these : http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=06-4150
I have an e-mail into Cobra also
Roger
"RUDE TOY"

·
Registered
74 Posts
floor boards

I just installed the Cobra model you attached a link to...I like the comfort as compared to the pegs.... I did drag the floor boards this weekend in a mild lean... it did make my heart skip a beat or two when it happened... I have dragged the foot pegs before on my VTX1800F however as you described the Cobra's only can flex about 3/4", glad I was only going about 30 mph when it happened.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
MC Enterprises. Mine will fold all the way to vertical. Really like them and they have a straight edge that I put titanium rod in to help them 'wear' better. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you post some pics of your MC Enterprises boards? Im wanting some for my C as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I never wanted a full board on my C just because I don't care for the look. But I hung some Kury Iso Wings which is about a half board. Much more comfortable than stock peg and I really like them. I scrape them fairly routinely and I know they flex. I'm not sure if they flex to vertical. Never scraped hard enough to get to the stop for that high-side "thrill".

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Stock Honda on the front, Cobra swept for the passenger. The stock Honda fronts fold all the way up. Couldn't you install those.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Does Honda offer an "official" floorboard for the 1800C?
no..C owners get them from the N or the R

i dont have a C but an idea for ya...stock boards with kury f/board covers came out sweet on my ride..they have the scrape feelers on the ends and bottom...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I might try and get a set of those. I just hope they would work with my National Cycle Highway bar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use a set of passenger half-boards on the driver of my C. I bought them from big bike parts. They are not spring loaded as the stock pegs are, but they are bulky enough it doesn't matter. They fold up vertical too.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
The oem honda floorboards that come on the R, N will set you back plenty of $$$. For everything you will need will come close to $700 if I remember correctly.
They are not a bolt on project for the "C" model
On the bottom of the frame, left side there are 2 threaded bolt holes for the floor boards to mount the "C" does not have these, on the right side there is 1 threaded bolt hole it is not there either. I may have this backwards but I do not think so. You can use the "C" master cylinder but you need right/left floorboard, right/left mount, gear shifter, brake lever-this is really costly-brake return spring, retro brake line that comes from the link connection just by the fuel tank,floorboard pins and there is more.
I did this a few years back when I did my interstate project. After I finished and added the cost to the project I felt like a dummy not going another route. I was able to put the boards where I wanted them because I had to back mounting brackets for them to work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Update: Rivcos came in a couple days after I ordered them. Install was a ten minute job. Look great, work well.

Highly recommended. And for $170 they're sixty or seventy dollars less expensive than other boards.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I have the Cobra Boulevard (traditional styled) floorboards
on my 2003 VTX1800C model with Retro fenders installed.

The problem is not really the floorboards not folding,
although the amount that they fold is very limited.
The problem is that the black steel brackets that support the
floorboards are solid and will dig into the asphalt after the
floorboard leans up a small amount.
They will lever your rear tire off the road and can send your
bike into a spin.

The good point about the support bracket is that if your bike
falls over at an unplanned stop, they can act almost like an
engine crash bar to keep your bike from falling all of the way over.
That makes it easy to lift your bike back up.

But you need to keep that support bracket from contacting
the pavement while leaning in curves
by putting some extra clearance under your bike.

The C model bike has a very limited clearance under the stock footpegs
or replacement floorboards, less than the Retro model because the
18 inch front rim and 130mm tire of the C model is smaller
in overall outer diameter
than the fatter 17 inch front rim and 150mm tire of the
Retro and Neo mode and this puts your front axle height lower
on the C model than on the Retro or Neo models.

I was always dragging my pegs in curves on my bike when it was
stock. But what was worse was slamming my heels down into the
pavement each time I would lean into a curve, because my heels
were positioned lower than the bottom of the footpegs.
Honest, I was hitting my footpegs to the pavement just
trying to avoid potholes in my lane of traffic.
I thought that my bike was atrocious handling
when I first got it from the dealer.
And I had ridden other Hondas for 30 years prior to
purchasing my VTX1800 C model in October 2003.

Part of the reason was because I am somewhat overweight
at a svelte (for me) 240 pounds.

The way to get some additional clearance under the frame of your
bike and thus also your footpegs or floorboards is to replace
your stock forksprings with a set of the Progressive Suspensions
forksprings. Most folks get the PRO11-1520 which is designed for
the VTX1800 bikes, but I have the slightly longer PRO11-1521
forksprings which are made to fit inside the GL1800 GoldWing bikes.

The stock Honda forksprings are somewhat soft and are about 12 inches long.
The PRO11-1520 forksprings are much firmer and are only 11.5 inches long. They sag less than the stock forkspring when you sit on the bike
and exhibit less fork diving when you apply the front brakes.

The PRO11-1521 are also much firmer and are about 12.3 inches long
and so are a bit harder to fit inside the VTX1800 forks, but will fit
with some persuasion from a spring compressor.

Typically, the average VTX owner will get about 2 inches extra
exposed fork slider after installing the Progressive Suspensions
forksprings and maybe an inch of additional ground clearance
under the frame and footpegs when you sit on the bike.
It makes a big difference.

But the firmer Progressive Suspensions
forksprings can be a problem for folks who have shorter legs.

Between adjusting the stock rear shocks to maximum preload
and the new firmer forksprings, I very seldom touch my floorboards
in curves anymore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
please please post some pics. I want floor boards but got to make sure they will work with my highway bar. I might be able to tell by some pics.

Update: Rivcos came in a couple days after I ordered them. Install was a ten minute job. Look great, work well.

Highly recommended. And for $170 they're sixty or seventy dollars less expensive than other boards.

·
Registered
79 Posts
NoTheOtherSparky, did you ever get these put on yet? if so post some pics please.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts