Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been running a year on the darkside, but I recently put a Metz 888 on the front replacing the old 880 and now I have a high speed wobble. Been playing with the shock settings and tire pressure, but can't seem to get rid of it. Thinking of trying an Avon, had a Metz 880 on the back before and it was toast at less than 7000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got new Michelin commander 2's. great handle and decent price. TIN-INDIAN WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE HARD BAGS FOR YOUR BIKE. I LOOKING FOR SOME. THANKS.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Rear Tire on my 1800c: Avon Elite III - 11,000, Metzler - 9140 miles, Bridgestone Exedra Max - 8468 miles. Currently running a Shinko SE890 Journey with about 2500 miles, looking good so far (rear 38/40-2 up, front 40 psi)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a VTX1800C. With every other rear tire I tried (including 2 Metzlers) I got about 8-9k before they needed to be replaced. Now with the E3 I got 15k and I might be able to get another 1k before it needs to be replaced. My next tire will be another E3.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am in need of both front and rear tires for my VTX 1800R. Most of you say the E3's get the best mileage. Can someone please give me the full name of an E3 tire? I am wondering if E3 refers to Dunlop Elite 3 or does it refer to Avon Elite III?

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Gonna need a new front soon. Going with the shinko 890 like the back tire.
American Motorcycle Tire seems to have the best prices across the board, bought my rear Shinko and had it in 3 days. http://www.americanmototire.com

Rear Tire Pricing -
Dunlop Elite 3 = $201.00
Shinko SE890 Journey = $120.00

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have been running Shinko 890s front and back. I get 10000-12000 on the front and 9000-10000 on the rear consistently. I get the same handling from Metzler 880s, and for under $250 I get a set. I ride 25000-35000 miles yearly, and have over 600,000 miles under my butt. I will swear by the Shinko's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
1st - Stock dunlop (two years, wore great)
2nd - bridgestone (two seasons - had moved from 180 to 200, rode it too long it was very worn on the left side -SHOT!)
3rd - just put 1k on the Avon. It is also a 200 (time will tell

Overall I agree with the aforementioned. If you are getting three seasons out of the DUNLOP remain loyal!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I need more help in choosing the right tire. Dunlop American Elite does not come in the size front or rear that my bike came with. My 1800 VTX Retro takes the following sizes:

Front 150/80-17 radial Rear 180/70-16 radial

So, tell me what sizes to choose in the American Elite series, which are bias ply. Or should I stay with the original sizes and order the Elite 3 tires, which are radial?

What is better, radial or bias ply?

Thanks and I appreciate any member's feedback on this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
anybody here have anything to say about the "Shinko SE890 Journey Touring Radial Motorcycle Tire" for a 1800 C? price tag is great!
I have one on the back and love it, (pushing 9k miles and still has life) fixn to put a front on soon. I've had the Dunlop, Metzler and the Bridgestone, all of these tires are great but for the price with the same handling capabilities you can't beat Shinko.

Check out American Motorcycle Tire, they seem to have the best prices on just about any tire and quick, free delivery ! P.S. Try Ride-On balancer/sealer, great stuff.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have a Metz 880 radial on rear and a Michelin Commander II bias on the front. Ride, handling, & wear are great..

41 - 60 of 76 Posts