Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is most therapeutic to you.... riding? or talking?... or drinking?...
as of late i have had many of my close friends tell me that i am drinking to much (i guess its bad when one of your closest friends is the owner of a bar and worries about how much you drink) and that i may need to talk to a "Professional"(again) about the things that keep me up at night.... or cause me to drink so much... i tend to tell them that i drink so much because its to bloody cold to ride right now and when the weather gets better ill be fine... does anyone else have this problem or am i just out of my mind?:dontknow:

·
Registered
238 Posts
During the "riding months" riding is most theraputic, and during the winter, we usually sit around and have a drink or two and talk about riding season.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Don't wait until your bottle becomes more of a friend than your friends. JMO

To answer your question, riding is more therapeutic to me. Neither talking or drinking is therapeutic to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I prefer to talk to God rather than Jack has not always been that way,but if your friends are telling you your drinking to much you probably are tone it down before you can't ride, now that would suck :yikes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I prefer to talk to God rather than Jack has not always been that way,but if your friends are telling you your drinking to much you probably are tone it down before you can't ride, now that would suck :yikes:
+1

i know that prayer isn't everyone's first choice but it's mine, with riding right behind it. it would be even closer if i could ride all year

·
Registered
266 Posts
As a recovering alcoholic for just over 3 years now, I can tell you that drinking (to the point that yours friends or family are getting concerned) is never therapeutic. IMO, riding is a healthy diversion but I wouldn't consider it all that therapeutic. Sure you may feel better while you're riding but unless you can figure out a way to do it 24/7, its not what I would call sustainable. Sounds to me like you might want to consider talking to someone about what's crapping you out. If you've tried some professional talking before and weren't satisfied with the results, try someone or something else.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
As a recovering alcoholic for just over 3 years now, I can tell you that drinking (to the point that yours friends or family are getting concerned) is never therapeutic. IMO, riding is a healthy diversion but I wouldn't consider it all that therapeutic. Sure you may feel better while you're riding but unless you can figure out a way to do it 24/7, its not what I would call sustainable. Sounds to me like you might want to consider talking to someone about what's crapping you out. If you've tried some professional talking before and weren't satisfied with the results, try someone or something else.
Ditto on what JBLACK5 says!

I've got over 30 years of clinical experience and serve as the executive director of a mental health and substance abuse agency with over 300 staff. I could NOT have said it better.

If you need to know more, PM me. Recovery is an attitude by which you approach all things in life :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
If your friends are concerned then you should probably be concerned. A few years ago I was concerned about myself and about the same time a friend of mine got a DUI. They were fortunate enough to get into a progressive program that included 12 months of intensive counseling and random alcohol/drug testing. In support of them I also quit drinking. Over the last 12 months I have experienced a vast improvement in my overall attitude and quality of life. And an added benefit is that the morning after every night I do not drink I am much better equiped to handle whatever the day throws at me.

One way to test if your drinking too much or dependent on alcohol is to quit. If you can't then you need some professional help and there's lots of help out there. One place to start is AA. Even if your not an "alcoholic" AA has the experience and resources to help you quit.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing and accepting that there is a problem.

·
Old Goat
26,227 Posts
I dont get to ride as much as I would like to, I take care of my mom so I dont get to socialize (nobody to talk to) much, but my life sure got less complicated when I quit drinking, all the above is excellent advice. good luck and God Bless

G

·
Everything in moderation...................................

Show
But not riding. You can never ride too much.:thumbup:
If you buddies are saying you are tipping a few too many back. Then maybe you should slow down and, find something else to do until the weather changes.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
talk to a professional ... our friends, family, drinking buddies all just
tell us what we want to hear or what they want to hear ...

a professional will help in a myriad of ways ...

some will start with 'childhood' stuff but should quickly move
onto what's going on now ...

the other alternative is supervised men's groups ... they are more
open and you do have to listen to other people's problems and
complaints, but you can quickly learn that you are not alone, unique,
or dealing with anything special ...

we're all human and have our own s--t to deal with ...

but yeah, get some help ... :thumbup:

·
Registered
739 Posts
In my opinion, it doesn't matter what family, friends, etc., say about your drinking. You need to have a sit down with yourself and seriously decide if you have a problem with alcohol. If think you do, you more than likely do. You can't get sober (or stay sober) for anyone but yourself.

Riding is much more enjoyable and safer without a hangover.

I would be glad to assist in any way that I can!

Hope this helps.
jp

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You made a giant step by hearing your friends and posting your concerns here. A lot of advice has already been given.
Godspeed on your path to recovery.

Although, I don't get to ride much, I find it clears my mind and I miss it during the off season.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
My stress relief: Riding in the summer. Playing pool with friends at my house in the winter over a few brews. (key phrase a few)

+1 to everything in moderation. Except chrome. There is no limit on that. Just ask K.K. :lol:

And +1 to listening to friends.

Good luck getting it all squared away.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
as of late i have had many of my close friends tell me that i am drinking to much (i guess its bad when one of your closest friends is the owner of a bar and worries about how much you drink) and that i may need to talk to a "Professional"(again) about the things that keep me up at night.... or cause me to drink so much... i tend to tell them that i drink so much because its to bloody cold to ride right now and when the weather gets better ill be fine... does anyone else have this problem or am i just out of my mind?:dontknow:
If that is the choice you are offering ...

I'd vote for .... " ... just out of my mind ... "

... stayin' drunkis hard work and it doesn't pay way ...

Sounds like your workin' it ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
If you have to ask us instead of listening to your friend, there already is a problem.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

therapeutic? temporarily is all of the above but for a permanent fix ya need more brother. You need to get rid of the route of the problem....been there done that.
Drinking? If you do it alone or during the day at work....ding ding ding...if you do it every ocassion you get a chance to....ding ding ding....
Stop for a month....if you can't.....ding ding ding...

good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts