Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a 2005 VTX-1300R and just put on my bigshots yesterday and a Jetkit stage 1, as well. The clip is 3rd one down on the needle and a 195 jet is installed on the carb.
I know that some of the intakes come with their own jet kit, however the thunder tornado is asking for a stage 3 jet kit but I've heard that all you really need is the 210 jet and put the clip on the 4th groove down on the needle. Does that mean I could just get the mounting adapter and the intake without the jet kit they're trying to throw at me for an extra $70?
Basically,
Can I just put on the 210 jet, adjust my needle, mess with the a/f mixture and call it a day and just mount the tornado?
Thanks in advance
Both Backrests
Both Boards
Highway Bar
Screens
Big Shots (NO quiet baffles, just enjoy the noise)
K&N air filter
Speakers aka AC/DC on Tour
Chrome Chrome Chrome...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get the intake from them, and go buy a Factory Pro Stage 3 Jet Kit.

Stage 1 wont cut it for that bike, and Stage 1's are also DynoJet.. I've un-intalled more DJ kits than I can count.. Just go get a Factory Pro Stage 3 and ditch the DJ

-Gonz

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
:agree:I agree with Gonzo 100%. Unless you want a lot of trouble with other brands. VTX's seem to like the FP stage 3. Best and are temperamental with others.
Yea you will hear of some not having any problems with others but they haven't had the FP to compare.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Can I just put on the 210 jet, adjust my needle, mess with the a/f mixture and call it a day and just mount the tornado?
Thanks in advance

Maybe....not going to cost much to try so give it a shot.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
I say try it with what you got first. No sense buying a jet kit if you already have one.

I've got DJ components in my carb and it runs just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seems like there are 20 different ways to go about this and no one seems to have a big problem with any of them except some minor mixture adjustments. That chart def helped to get an idea of what COULD work.
I think I'll try the 4th clip and 205 w/ stock pilot and go from there. Also, changed my mind to tear drop....i think.
Thanks for the help. If someone knows a cheap almost bullet proof setting, I'd highly appreciate it. I guess now it's all about trial and error. I'm on the coast between san diego and l.a. btw.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
seems like there are 20 different ways to go about this and no one seems to have a big problem with any of them except some minor mixture adjustments. That chart def helped to get an idea of what COULD work.
I think I'll try the 4th clip and 205 w/ stock pilot and go from there. Also, changed my mind to tear drop....i think.
Thanks for the help. If someone knows a cheap almost bullet proof setting, I'd highly appreciate it. I guess now it's all about trial and error. I'm on the coast between san diego and l.a. btw.

I ran a Thunder kit & V&H pipes with a DJ kit ...........Factory pilot jet, 210 main, 4th notch , 2.75 out on the pilot screw will get it close ........ This has worked on several bikes ....... :thumbup: ............ Rod

G

·
0 Posts
Yup. If you can't screw in a sparkplug and only have the patience of a 4-year old, then definitley go with an FP kit. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I'd install the 58 in the kit - made a big difference in mine for starting. I now never touch the choke or the throttle for starting.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Well, I've go the exact same setup that you are looking to go with. Bigshots, Tornado and the DJ Stage 3 kit with a 210 main, stock pilot, clip on 4th groove and 2.75 turns out on the a/f screw. She runs like a champ!!! Never touch the choke or use the throttle for starting either, and I've been at sea level (Texas, Florida) and all the way up to Mt. Evans (14K feet) with no problems and no adjustments needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now, ..pretty much same question as this
Can I stick with the same needle and just buy a 210 jet by itself?
Oh, and what exactly does the clip do on the needle? The further down the clip goes, the further up the needle comes out of the pilot and allows more fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Similar to this question..
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130645

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Oh, and what exactly does the clip do on the needle? The further down the clip goes, the further up the needle comes out of the pilot and allows more fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks guys
Yes, just get the 210 main jet and you're good to go. The needle basically covers the mid-range throttle, and yes, the lower the clip, the higher the needle is raised out of the needle jet and the more fuel the circuit gets.

As a matter of fact, I have an extra DJ 210 main, so send me your name/address by PM and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Thanks guys
I don't like mixing Ford parts with Chevy parts.
It's easier to know what to do when things are right rather than work with a mixed up mess. I'd rather make easier than try to figure it out some day down the road. Not have a cobbled up mess.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I don't like mixing Ford parts with Chevy parts.
It's easier to know what to do when things are right rather than work with a mixed up mess. I'd rather make easier than try to figure it out some day down the road. Not have a cobbled up mess.
If the OP has a DJ Stage 1 kit, the only difference between the Stage 1 & 3 kits is that 210 main jet.

So brownboot, do you have a DJ kit or a FP kit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got the dj stage 1 kit.
pm you shortly. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Except the Dj jet size is smaller than the FP.
They are sized differently... FP measures the fuel flow per hour or some fool thing and are sized based on that. DJ measures the actual size opening of the jet (I might have these backwards, it's been a while since I cared enough to know the difference in sizing).

Bottom line, if a DJ190 is equivilant in size to a FP205, so what? As long as everyone recognizes the numbers are sized differently, that seems to be the only real important part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts