Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a DG Hard Krome Strippers exhaust in black and was wondering what jet kit I should buy. What is the difference in stages?

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you still have your stock airbox, you really don't need a jet kit. A simple 1/8 to 1/4 turn out on the A/F screw will fix you up.:doorag:

G

·
0 Posts
You probably won't need one, but you might. Depends on a lot of factors.

I've been using the DJ kit for about 5 years, but I've heard the Factory Pro kit works good too.

Turning out the pilot screw (what some call the A/F screw) will only affect your throttle position up to about 1/8 throttle. It does NOT affect fuel flow across all throttle postions.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do not buy a jet kit. The stock jets in your bike are already bigger than the ones that come in a kit. Adjust the A/F screw out to richen the mixture. That is all you have to do.

G

·
0 Posts
Do not buy a jet kit. The stock jets in your bike are already bigger than the ones that come in a kit. Adjust the A/F screw out to richen the mixture. That is all you have to do.
Not true. Both parts of your statement.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
With just pipes you will probably not have to do any rejetting. Open the a/f and 1/8 turn or so. If you get some sort of open intake, you will have to rejet. I started with the scar mod, but I needed bigger jets, both main and slow. I went with the factory pro and it screams now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not true. Both parts of your statement.
If you buy the "standard" jet kit sold by Dyna Jet and usually pushed by dealers when they sell a new set of pipes which is also the same kit most people buy on their own when they think they need one, then you are wasting your money. The number on the jet in the kit will be a larger number than the number of your stock jet, but the stock jet is a bigger jet.
And if all that has been done is a factory exhaust mod or just the addition of pipes without increasing air flow, and just changing to a K&N filter does not count, then all that is needed is to adjust the A?F mixture out to a richer setting.
Adjust A/F, ride a hundred miles, check plugs, adjust again if fine tuning is needed and that is all.
Always turn A/F fully in, but not tight, and adjust out starting at two turns and you should not have to go more than 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns out total.
And I will add this... Even if you add big free breathing pipes and increase the air flow, you still do not need a jet kit. Do the SCAR mod to the stock jet and adjust the A/F. Youstill do not need a aftermarket jet kit.

But it is your money and time if you want to waste it on jet kits.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If you buy the "standard" jet kit sold by Dyna Jet and usually pushed by dealers when they sell a new set of pipes which is also the same kit most people buy on their own when they think they need one, then you are wasting your money. The number on the jet in the kit will be a larger number than the number of your stock jet, but the stock jet is a bigger jet.
And if all that has been done is a factory exhaust mod or just the addition of pipes without increasing air flow, and just changing to a K&N filter does not count, then all that is needed is to adjust the A?F mixture out to a richer setting.
Adjust A/F, ride a hundred miles, check plugs, adjust again if fine tuning is needed and that is all.
Always turn A/F fully in, but not tight, and adjust out starting at two turns and you should not have to go more than 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns out total.
And I will add this... Even if you add big free breathing pipes and increase the air flow, you still do not need a jet kit. Do the SCAR mod to the stock jet and adjust the A/F. Youstill do not need a aftermarket jet kit.

But it is your money and time if you want to waste it on jet kits.
I myself have an open air filter with aftermarket pipes. The scar mod will only take you so far and that is a fact. The stock main jet 195 was not big enough for my setup. Plus the stock slow jet 55 wasnt giving me enough juice at low end. So depending what setup you are running, some of us need a jet kit. Apparently you don't know how to properly tune a carb then. Just sayin. There was no comparison with performance from the scar mod to the factory pro. Scar does make it run better, but not like it can. I am glad I spent the money on a jet kit, one of the best mods I have done for performance.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
If you buy the "standard" jet kit sold by Dyna Jet a...The number on the jet in the kit will be a larger number than the number of your stock jet, but the stock jet is a bigger jet.
No, it isn't. I use to think that too, but I have measured them and the DJ 195 has a larger bore than the Keihin 195.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok, for one, I am glad you found something that worked for you. I also said Dyna Jet and should have also added Cobra's jet kit. These are the two usual kits sold/ bought when told you need a jet kit. They have smaller jets than the factory main and you are going backward if you install one. I have heard good things about Factory Pro.

The original question was whether he needed to rejet after only doing a Clayton Mod. That answer is no.

I still stand behind what I say about jet kits in general and when you do not need one. And the SCAR mod, if done correctly, will cover most people who only add pipes and a free breathing air filter or modify the airbox.

G

·
0 Posts
No, it isn't. I use to think that too, but I have measured them and the DJ 195 has a larger bore than the Keihin 195.
Thank you.

Now if we could just get them to "get it" about the so-called A/F screw....

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have the exhaust you speak of and stock airbox and did not do anything to the jetting or the a/f.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok, for one, I am glad you found something that worked for you. I also said Dyna Jet and should have also added Cobra's jet kit. These are the two usual kits sold/ bought when told you need a jet kit. They have smaller jets than the factory main and you are going backward if you install one. I have heard good things about Factory Pro.

I can't remember for sure because it's been so long and I'd have to check, but my DJ kit cames with main jets up to 220.....way more than anyone would need. I ran the DJ195 on my bike when I rejetted for four years, and it's a bigger jet than the stock 195. I eventually went with the DJ200 after I decided to re-tune for a little better performance.

The original question was whether he needed to rejet after only doing a Clayton Mod. That answer is no.

Not all bikes are the same. Generally, I'd agree with you on the Clayton mod, but if someone puts on a new exhaust and does not change the airbox, you may or may not have to rejet. It depends on many factors including altitude and weather conditions in your area. There are many on here who did have to rejet. I was one of them. My bike ran too lean when I put on my Bigshots so I waited until I bought an open airbox before I rejetted.

I still stand behind what I say about jet kits in general and when you do not need one. And the SCAR mod, if done correctly, will cover most people who only add pipes and a free breathing air filter or modify the airbox.

The other thing I want to bring up is the "A/F" screw. It's really the pilot jet and adjusting it only affects fuel flow up to 1/8 throttle. It DOES NOT affect fuel flow across all throttle positions. Generally, if I remember correctly......

Pilot jet - up to 1/8 throttle
Needle velve - from 1/8 to 3/4 throttle
Main jet - from 3/4 to WOT

If you ride around for a hundred miles and figure out you're lean, you'd have to do plug chops at different throttle postiions to figure out whcih part(s) of the circuit is running lean. May be more than one.
My replies in red.

G

·
0 Posts
I'd also like to point out that Poison knows more about these bikes than anyone on here, so I'll defer to him when it comes to stuff like this.

We also had a guy here who owned a dyno and knew this stuff inside and out. If you have access to a dyno and the guy tunes as well, then that would be the way to go. Then you won't have to remove your tank and try different things a thousand times like many of us did. :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I'd also like to point out that Poison knows more about these bikes than anyone on here, so I'll defer to him when it comes to stuff like this.

We also had a guy here who owned a dyno and knew this stuff inside and out. If you have access to a dyno and the guy tunes as well, then that would be the way to go. Then you won't have to remove your tank and try different things a thousand times like many of us did. :D
All pretty much true.................Johnnycheese I think is the guy that had the shop.......& yes Poison is da man........These bikes mostly do run lean from the get go (EPA) Best thing is to ask about "like set ups" for a starting point & go from there...........I've got the old dynojet kit & still ended up getting a 210 jet as my kit only went up to a 200 & that was too small for a Thunder air box. The best thing you can do is to also get one of the over sized pilot screws as this makes adjustments a snap (like the Hick Screw) If I were to buy a kit today I would get the Factory Pro kit with a 195 200 210 set of mains.................................:mrgreen: Rod

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just bought a DG Hard Krome Strippers exhaust in black and was wondering what jet kit I should buy. What is the difference in stages?
With just a pipe change and stock airbox, you don't need a jet kit...Bike will more than likely run like crap if you have one installed...Don't waste your money...

G

·
0 Posts
With just a pipe change and stock airbox, you don't need a jet kit...Bike will more than likely run like crap if you have one installed...Don't waste your money...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts