Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I need to add some coolant. I have been using Prestone II the green looking stuff not the red. Is there any problem doing this? I notice Honda says use Honda coolant, but hey?

What are you guys actually putting in?

Thanks.

Turbo5 :D :D :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been using Shell Rotella Pre-Mix 50/50. It is silicate free.

You can find it in most auto parts stores. One gallon will keep you topped off for a long time.

Using the Honda coolant is preferred. It doesn't cost much more. As long as you don't have a problem a gallon at home is good. When you get out on the road and maybe get a small leak, it's good to know your alternatives.

8)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Anything that is silicate free should work OK. I recently changed mine and used the Honda mix........but it is only available in a premixed quart and is VERY expensive when compared to what can be bought at WalMart or local auto stores.

Scarecrow

·
Super Moderator
63,882 Posts
Turbo5 said:
It looks like I need to add some coolant. I have been using Prestone II the green looking stuff not the red. Is there any problem doing this? I notice Honda says use Honda coolant, but hey?

Thanks.

What color bottle? Better be sure the stuff you're using has NO silicates. Silicates will destroy the water pump. 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Honda pre mix is easy. if I remember right, three bottles to fill the system and your overflow tank works out perfect amount. it is pricy but it was quick and easy with no leftover fluid to deal with.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Prestone antifreeze the one that looks like bright yellow, chartreuse, does not specifically make note that it meets Japanese engine manufacturers requirements for silicate free additive, it may or may not, but Dex Cool, by Havoline does say that it meets the Japanese standard. So I guess I will be adding the Dex Cool. I have 10 gallons of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem with why I needed to add coolant is interesting and many of you may have this problem too. The fill cap for the coolant resovior had vibrated loose. I had noticed a slight smell coming from the bike but was not able to fine any leak. The loose cap explains the lost coolant. It may be you have this same thing going on.

Thanks for the response.

Turbo5

·
Registered
134 Posts
Turbo5 said:
Ok. Prestone antifreeze the one that looks like bright yellow, chartreuse, does not specifically make note that it meets Japanese engine manufacturers requirements for silicate free additive, it may or may not, but Dex Cool, by Havoline does say that it meets the Japanese standard. So I guess I will be adding the Dex Cool. I have 10 gallons of it.

Not trying to start an antifreeze war, so please don't take it as such. But, I put Dex Cool in a car of mine, and it gelled up in the radiator, and when I cleaned it out, I found many deep pits. After the fact, I started doing some research. Seems many others have had problems with the stuff eating away at their intakes and heads. It had even picked up the name "Death Cool". Seems the problems were (1), it does not mix with other antifreezes,,,,, be sure to flush, and flush again before you install. And (2), it does not like air. The cooling system MUST be, and stay, air tight.

Again, no flames please, just passing on my experence, and what I read elsewhere. By all means, use what you want.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
MDM said:
Turbo5 said:

Not trying to start an antifreeze war, so please don't take it as such. But, I put Dex Cool in a car of mine, and it gelled up in the radiator, and when I cleaned it out, I found many deep pits. After the fact, I started doing some research. Seems many others have had problems with the stuff eating away at their intakes and heads. It had even picked up the name "Death Cool". Seems the problems were (1), it does not mix with other antifreezes,,,,, be sure to flush, and flush again before you install. And (2), it does not like air. The cooling system MUST be, and stay, air tight.

Again, no flames please, just passing on my experence, and what I read elsewhere. By all means, use what you want.
I don't think you'll get flamed, that's what most people say about it. :wink:

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I have done hours of research on coolant use in motorcycles and as simple as it sounds , it isn't . Short of being a heating engineer with a degree in chemical engineering its a very complex subject. After all the research I can see that using the Honda pre-mix is the smart thing to do. I like to save a buck like most people do but my feeling is that this isn't the place to do it. Replacing the coolant costs about $10.00 using Honda pre-mix and should be done every two years. Not a large expense for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
428 Posts
dexcool is garbage...

the only EMERGENCY coolant I would put in is Chrysler/Ford red long life antifreeze and flush the entire system when i get home

otherwise stick with Honda...it's 1 of those pay me now or pay me later issues

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Honda per-mix. No guesswork, available local or HDL (use it to up your total
order to over $100 for free shipping when you need small items), no question
on warrante work, etc. etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Turbo5 said:

Thanks.

Last spring I flushed my system and used Prestone II. Rode about 5,000 miles last year. This spring my water pump was leaking and I had to replace it. Don't use the standard Prestone II. I am back to Honda coolant now. Coolant is $20, water pump is $130. 8)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
what s the easest way to drain/ Refill ?
Will the bottom hose to the radiator allow all the coolant out. Will the fill cap under the tank allow for the reservoir under the bike to fill.?
Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael said:
what s the easest way to drain/ Refill ?
Will the bottom hose to the radiator allow all the coolant out. Will the fill cap under the tank allow for the reservoir under the bike to fill.?
Mike
Well hey guys, that's the reason I started this thread, to find out what was up on antifreeze for the VTX. I agree with Michael, what's the easiest way to drain/refill the cooling system?

Turbo5 :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
157 Posts
draining coolant

Loosen the lowest bolt on the water pump (it has a copper washer) and this will ge most of it out, then I pull the bottom hose off the radiator. After this, I refill with distilled water to flush. Drain again and refill with Honda Premixed Coolant. 8)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW. Honda premix coolant is only $3.80 a quart up here. Considering all the problems mixing anything else with this stuff it is well worth the time to just go spend less than $5 to keep the coolant at the correct level. Live and learn. Thanks guys.

Turbo5 :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just for grins...anybody's 2 cents about engine ice? It's silicate free...???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts