Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many of the tech board posts. I am not trying to start a heated debate of dino versus syn oils. I just wondered what oil everyone here on this board uses.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Amsoil--oil and final drive fluid.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mobile 1 Red cap - never had a problem with it.
Honda Oil for the final drive

·
Registered
178 Posts
Red Cap

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use

I use Castrol Syntec in the engine/tranny. I'm moving to Conklin (synthetic) in the differential the next change. I will probably try out the Conklin oil in the engine sometime soon to clarify or hopefully dismiss the "moly' debate...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Re: I use

Heavy said:
I use Castrol Syntec in the engine/tranny. I'm moving to Conklin (synthetic) in the differential the next change. I will probably try out the Conklin oil in the engine sometime soon to clarify or hopefully dismiss the "moly' debate...
Just keep in mind that the manual specifically states not to use oils with friction modifers in them. And if you do and your clutch starts slipping, the only way to repair the damage is to replace the clutch plates. Just a word of caution that's all. 8)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yep

Yep, I'm aware of that issue and know exactly why it's an issue. That's why I said I'll "probably" try it. I used Conklin in my 1100 Sabre with no problems at all. Then again, that bike was sold after 13k miles, and I haven't heard back. I'll wait until it's time to replace the clutch to see if I can get any added slipping.

I'll probably just use the diff fluid for now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Red line synthetic in engine, synthetice final drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts