Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking back to when I bought my VTX 1300 and how it wasn't actually the bike I was interested in as much as another I was considering. I knew I wanted a metric V-Twin, and so I had narrowed my choices down to a Suzuki Boulevard, an orange and white Honda Aero 1100, a Kawasaki Drifter 1500 or the Honda VTX. I actually drove down to buy the Drifter with cash in hand, but when I sat on it, it felt like it was too HUGE for me. The bike has one of the longest wheel bases out there and you could feel it just sitting on it.

I sadly told the guy selling it that I would have to think about it and on the drive home I stopped by the address of the guy who was selling the VTX and it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! ; ) As much as I loved the look of the Drifter, the Honda was perfect for me in every way. I took it for a little test ride and the rest is 'history'.

How about you? Post photos (dig up a similar one on Google) of the bike/bikes you almost purchased when shopping for the VTX.

Suzuki Boulevard:

Honda Aero 1100:

Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500:

Kawasaki Drifter 1500:

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800F
27 Posts
Many years ago my now ex-wife and I were looking to get a bike. We went and tried a Shadow Spirit 1100 and I loved it but the seat was too high for her so we ended up with a VLX 600. That was fine but a little small for me and riding on the freeway wasn't the best with only 4 gears. Fast forward about 12 years, the ex is gone and I have a fat tax return burning a hole in my pocket. I started looking for the 1100 I wanted all along but then what's this? 1300's aren't much more so I do a little research on them and I'm sold. The VTX 1300 will be my next bike. I look at articles and you tube until I come across a video that says do not buy a 1300. Why not I ask my self and watch the video, because an 1800 costs about the same in the used market and once you know about the 1800 you could have gotten, you will always kick yourself for not buying it instead of the 1300. So on to 1800's and I'm reading and looking up everything I can when I stumble across an F in Florida for sale. It's the most beautiful bike I've ever seen! But I live in the Seattle area so it literally couldn't be farther away from me and still in the US. So now starts the quest for and F. Luckily I found one a couple months into my search and I love it.

The 1100 I was going to get.

The VTX 1800F I did get.

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
I had a Honda Shadow Spirit1100 at the time. Had that a few years after selling my Fatboy. I wasn't really looking for anything at that time until I read this magazine, and I had to have it and got it when my Honda dealer had one on the floor. Paid MSRP plus a few thousand more for the added pipes and other niceties

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I had a Shadow 1100, went to the Progressive MC show in Dallas. I saw the '02 VTXC 1800 on the floor. I sat on it, go the feel right/left lean angle on it. Looked at every inch of the bike. That Monday the 1100for Sale was placed in Cycle Trader. Bought July '02 still have it.

·
Premium Member
8,697 Posts
I looked at an M109R but it had a lot of miles on it. I saw a whit VTX 1300 at the stealer and thought it was a great looking bike, but I wasn't looking for new. Looked at Harley, especially the FatBoy, but there was a lot of FUD in the anti-Harley bias among metric riders. Almost bought a Roadstar 1700 but it sold before I made a move on it. Then I saw the ad for the VTX1800C. I flew out to Vancouver to buy it. SOLD!

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800C Illusion Blue, V&H pipes, K&N a/f, mustang seat w adj rest, Memphis shield, MTC clutch
268 Posts
I kept wandering into the Yamaha shop and stopping in front of the VMAX. Then I’d look at
the msrp sticker and wander off. That was my
ideal bike or so I thought.
However next door in the Honda building they had a new 2002 VTX. The owner had just bought one. What a beast of a bike. Bought the “X” a few months later on his recommendation. Couldn’t have been happier.
I do find myself still looking at the VMAXs every once in a while. The last couple years really looking hard at the FJRs.
Guess if I do swap bikes after 19 years it will be to the FJR.
. .. ...Mike (TTT)

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
I sort of went the other way. In '03 I wanted a VTX1800 really badly but didn't want to shell out the big dollars for a Spec2 or 3. So I settled for a new Shadow 1100, and bought my wife a SilverWing scooter at the same time. She didn't take to the scooter so we sold it. I kept the Shadow for a few years and then started looking for hold over VTXs. Found my '05 S Spec 2 in '07 for $5K less than it would have cost me in '05 and it had never had fluids in it. Traded the Shadow in on it and rode the VTX home. Had it for 9 years...but I'd always thought I'd like to own a Harley before I died. This is my second one and unless Honda brings back a bike similar to the VTX I'll likely not go back. Unless they could find it in their plans to put the GW mill in a bike meant for taller people, and it didn't weigh a ton.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A few years ago, the kids were grown up and it was finally time to fulfill my dream of owning a Harley. So I started test driving all Harley’s I could get my hands on. Mind you; I was determinded and had set my mind on buying a Harley. It was a dream finally coming to life!
I hadn’t decided yet on which Harley I was going to buy when a biker friend of mine bought a VTX 1300R.
I test drove this VTX and within half a mile I know exactly which bike I was going to buy. I am now the proud owner of a VTX 1300 R. And after 2 years and 10.000 miles I am convinced: this is the right bike for me!

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,174 Posts
A few years back I was riding a 06 Honda Shadow Aero 750.

Loved the bike. The style, everything about it except the lack of a 6th gear. At Highway speeds it screamed for another gear.

I won a weekend rental of a Harley at a charity ride I had gone in. I spent 3 days on an Ultra Classic Limited and decided I needed a bigger bike.

A friend of mine was selling her Boulevard C80 and I took it for a ride, but it wasn’t what I wanted. Then I found the X. Love at first sight. It was the bigger brother of my Shadow. Very similar look and the same Honda reliability. How could I say no?

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Honda dropped the ball, still never had 6th gear, and no other options as far as tourers go. No, the T model is not a tourer. If they had made a VTX1800 tourer with 6 gears, full fairings, hard bags, trunk option, with full gauges and cruise control........one can only imagine

PS....and a bigger tank

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Honda dropped the ball, still never had 6th gear, and no other options as far as tourers go. No, the T model is not a tourer. If they had made a VTX1800 tourer with 6 gears, full fairings, hard bags, trunk option, with full gauges and cruise control........one can only imagine

PS....and a bigger tank
Add to that a single pin crank, and I'm in...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
After I sold a Buell Cyclone, I saw a Mean Streak . I did a lot of thinking.

Not so much the loud pipes, but looked good.:):cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was actually looking at Kawasaki Vulcans trying to decide if I needed the 900, 1500, 1600, or 1700.

One of the shops I went to had two VTX 1300's sitting out front and I sat on them. They just felt good. One was a 1300r and the other was a 1300c.

Well, I did not know much about the VTX at the time so I went home and started reading. Found this place and lurked around without creating an account.

I then went to Cycletrader and found a 2004 VTX1300c with only 2226 miles and a price of $3500.

I went and looked at it the next day and it was in pristine shape, having been kept in a climate controlled garage.

I started making arrangements to buy it and even talked him down a bit because it was going to need tires and a battery.

I love this bike!

And, I love it even more now with its very comfortable Mustang Seat!

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The VTX 1300 will be my next bike. I look at articles and you tube until I come across a video that says do not buy a 1300. Why not I ask my self and watch the video, because an 1800 costs about the same in the used market and once you know about the 1800 you could have gotten, you will always kick yourself for not buying it instead of the 1300. So on to 1800's and I'm reading and looking up everything I can when I stumble across an F in Florida for sale. It's the most beautiful bike I've ever seen! But I live in the Seattle area so it literally couldn't be farther away from me and still in the US. So now starts the quest for and F. Luckily I found one a couple months into my search and I love it.
Cool story and good example of how often buyers will find their money will buy a bigger/better bike in the used market. The only reason I ever bought new bikes was back when I couldn't pay cash and had to buy on credit. I don't expect to every buy a new motorcycle again (as in not previously owned).

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: Chicago-Spike

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few years ago, the kids were grown up and it was finally time to fulfill my dream of owning a Harley. So I started test driving all Harley’s I could get my hands on. Mind you; I was determinded and had set my mind on buying a Harley. It was a dream finally coming to life!
I hadn’t decided yet on which Harley I was going to buy when a biker friend of mine bought a VTX 1300R.
I test drove this VTX and within half a mile I know exactly which bike I was going to buy. I am now the proud owner of a VTX 1300 R. And after 2 years and 10.000 miles I am convinced: this is the right bike for me!
I can sort of relate, in that a big part of the reason I bought my VTX 1300 Retro was because it has a lot of Harley similarities. I never even considered a Harley when I was shopping for a V-Twin, because I knew my $$ would go further with a V-Twin metric and it would be more reliable.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After I sold a Buell Cyclone, I saw a Mean Streak . I did a lot of thinking.

Not so much the loud pipes, but looked good.:):cool:
Yep, I too was considering the Mean Streak because of the bigger V-Twin engine over my other considerations, but I love the retro look! After having already owned a few very fast bikes, (Kawasaki 1000 & Suzuki GS1100) I wasn't looking for a sport bike so the Mean Streak lost its appeal.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I had been riding my '68 HD (shovelhead chopper) for years when the VTX came out. Got dusted by a VTX 18 in late 2004. Bought my '02 18C in March of '05. It had 2200 miles on it and was like brand new. It now has close to 150,000 miles. Before the '68 HD I had a Commando and '46 WL HD. Plus a Yamaha 400DT Enduro. That was my 'winter' bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is it with getting a bike and wanting another one? I have only had my VTX 1300C for 4 months and now looking for a Road Glide. Not to replace the VTX but to augment it. I love this bike but it is just NOT a long trip, hours on the seat bike in my opinion. I have put Risers on, an air cushion for the seat etc.... but come on! Honda! Make a cruiser? Then make it comfortable!!! Yes I can change the seat and make other adjustments but it should have been done already.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts