Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I started out running Premium in my 1300. It had bunch of decel popping. I then switched to mid grade and the decel popping lessened, Now I run only regular and the bike runs great. Hardly any decel popping.

I'm sold on regular grade. Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
87 octane , 87 octane , 87 octane . water cooled = 87 octane ! get it , got it , do it ! :banghead:

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
87 octane , 87 octane , 87 octane . water cooled = 87 octane ! get it , got it , do it ! :banghead:
Actually water cooled has nothing to do with it. It IS all about compression ratio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
and here i thought i was hurting my baby letting her run on 87 for the past 3 years...
thanks for the confirmation!

·
Registered
158 Posts
there are a few factors that come into play on the grade of gas you use . i just picked the easiest for some to understand .

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
there are a few factors that come into play on the grade of gas you use . i just picked the easiest for some to understand .
This said with a smile but key factor regarding octane is the compression of the engine. Higher pressure requires higher octane to prevent spark knock aka ping. Old VWs run great on lower octane- mill the heads to make 'em 'race cars' and the ping starts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great Info!

Holy Smokes! This is great information all the way around (I have learned more here in a few short days than I have picked up anywhere else in years. A few immediate observations - I was religiously guilty (right up til yesterday) of pumping 91 Octane into both my X and my V Star because it certainly had to be the best....... I was just commenting to myself today on the ride home "damn....sure is a lot of decel popping!" (Stock pipes on the V Star and have never had a pop out of it - I have V&H on the X - pops like a demon while winding down from the sexy rumble of power) I'm going to finish out this tank and start putting 87 in there for all of the reasons discussed throughout this thread. Thanks Spike! Also thanks to the other folks who had experience-based input that augmented the excellent article this thread started with. Great info!

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
That was what I was told. I've always ran premium in all my bikes. I've had all kinds and been riding 40 years. I've never seen any where where it says to use 87 and I don't know who told you that, use what you want but I'll stay with high grade.
Check your manual for the compression ration. You are pissing money away and not doing your bike any good by using ANY gas above 87 octane,
And Mother Honda is the one telling you that as well as thousands of VTX riders on both 1300 and 1800 models.

·
Super Moderator
63,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That was what I was told. I've always ran premium in all my bikes. I've had all kinds and been riding 40 years. I've never seen any where where it says to use 87 and I don't know who told you that, use what you want but I'll stay with high grade.
It says so right in your owners manual and the Honda factory reps and designers told me at the Honda Homecoming at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. "Premium" does NOT mean "Best" in fuel grades. Do some homework and become INFORMED and you can learn a LOT more about engines than your salesman. They know CRAP usually and anyone that told you to run premium in your VTX that was DESIGNED to run on the lowest octane available, is a moron. Your VTX is a low compression engine requiring low octane fuel to run properly. Using high octane will foul your combustion chambers and plugs(just go back and read all about the plug fouling on the 1800 ) and lose you money and power.

But, if you're smarter than the engineers that designed the VTX, then by all means, run racing fuel in it :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
It says so right in your owners manual and the Honda factory reps and designers told me at the Honda Homecoming at the Honda plant in Marysville Ohio. "Premium" does NOT mean "Best" in fuel grades. Do some homework and become INFORMED and you can learn a LOT more about engines than your salesman. They know CRAP usually and anyone that told you to run premium in your VTX that was DESIGNED to run on the lowest octane available, is a moron. Your VTX is a low compression engine requiring low octane fuel to run properly. Using high octane will foul your combustion chambers and plugs(just go back and read all about the plug fouling on the 1800 ) and lose you money and power.

But, if you're smarter than the engineers that designed the VTX, then by all means, run racing fuel in it :thumbup:

Hey Spike - he might just need hi octane now. All that carbon build up will raise the compression ration and the little bits of glowing carbon WILL cause pre-ignition AKA ping. :dontknow::D:D

·
Super Moderator
63,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Could be, then I would suggest a good fuel system cleaner like Techron to start cleaning out all that past unburnt fuel out of the combustion chambers :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
63,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
hoy,
European VTX ride 95 or 98 octane, tuning is very different
greet :yikes:
European nations, use a different rating system than the USA. Called RON for Research Octane Number, is used in Europe and is slightly higher than our AKI(combo of RON and MON ) So your 95 is our 87 your 98 is our 89

It's best to say "Use the lowest octane rating in your area" If your engine pings under loads, you can bump up to mid grade :thumbup:

·
Registered
895 Posts
I will be adding Sea Foam this winter.
My bike seldom if ever moves January & February.
87 Octane is all I have ever put in the tank...It runs great and starts first time every time :thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts

Thanks I have been running 87 in mine. It runs good. Thanks Spike I would of never believed it..You are gonna save me lots of money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm glad I took the time to read this thread, have always used the highest grade gas the station had, I will use the lower grade gas from now on!! Thanks fellas!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Your salesman needs to read the owners manual. Can we say Idiot?

Sounds like a salesman I heard at a dealer that was helping a customer that just bought a VTX. the guy wanted aftermarket pipes and the salesman told the guys at the parts desk that is was a C model because the C stood for classic. And of course I had to correct him, the bike was an R model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reporting in...

I've also ran super in my bikes. Just thought they were worth it and I got better performance to boot. However, since reading this I thought why not. So I'm 3 tanks in on reg. unleaded. Havent seen any less performance, in fact maybe a slight better and reduced the backfire/popping noticeably.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts