Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the Fury for a while. What parts would you change, modify or add to the Fury?

My first answer was to do something to the license plate holder.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
1. I'd make the tank wider and give it some shape.
2. Fix the seat. It looks uncomfortable as h#ll.
3. Put a real engine on it. No such thing as too much HP.
4. I'd lose those fugly rims and give it some spokes or at least some kinda cool lookin' chrome wheels. A design more like the ones on the VTX F model.
5. Paint the engine, polish (or diamond-cut) the fins.
6. Exhaust! Shorten it and give it some shape. Go with the flow of the bike.

That's it for starters.

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised to see it still around in 2013.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Have you actually sat on one yet? How can you criticize how it functions simply by how it looks?

Would a small block V-8 be a real enough engine for you? Honda started the cruiser displacement war with the 1800, and now if it isn't 1800 or bigger, it isn't a real engine. Have you ridden one yet to see for yourself how that 'puny' 1300 actually goes? Of course not, you haven't even sat on one.

Good Christ, you people sound just like the knot-headed HD owners (and posers) who insist if it ain't a Harley, it ain't a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Anyway, to answer Hal's question:
Replace those exhausts with something that looks more like straight pipes (like what Kawi did on the Mean Streak). Those cans just don't fit the lines of the bike.
Add at least another gallon to the fuel tank, although I'm not sure how they'd do that without making it look bulbous.
The stock wheels aren't bad, but they oughtta provide a few more options besides paint or no paint.
Something a little more flowing and innovative for the turn signals.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1. I'd make the tank wider and give it some shape.
4. I'd lose those fugly rims and give it some spokes or at least some kinda cool lookin' chrome wheels. A design more like the ones on the VTX F model.
5. Paint the engine, polish (or diamond-cut) the fins.
6. Exhaust! Shorten it and give it some shape. Go with the flow of the bike.

That's it for starters.

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised to see it still around in 2013.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Well Hal, after riding the one you have at your Ohio store (thanks) I would agree with the license plate holder. And......

I would also have to add some risers to give the bars a bit more pull back..... it was a bit of a stretch with the bars and forward controls for me. The seat didn't feel to bad at all... probably keep that for awhile at least. Some louder pipes, nicer chrome wheels, and if frame work was authorized I would address some of those fugly welds. Oh and add the optional chrome radiator cover. I understand there are other optional parts or accessories too.... might have to check those out.

The Fury looks Ok from 10 feet away, but get too close and you see things that need addressed (like the wheels and welds). Not even much bling to distract your eyes away.

As nice as it rode, its not a bagger nor a long haul riding bike..... so maybe if it came as a package deal with a GoldWing depending on which mood a person might be in...... :p Sorta like bringing along a Dingy with your Yacht. :joke:

A few of us rode from Pittsburgh to DLP in Ohio and paid a visit. I did pick up a few things (cleaners) but was mainly out for the ride and the visit. The Fury test ride was a bonus, we we did appreciate that.

·
Registered
453 Posts
After looking at the Fury for a while. What parts would you change, modify or add to the Fury?

Any ideas?
i think its a good looking scoot. i never sat on one tho. but i did see one at my local dealer. IMO i just dont like the way the tanks sits on the frame. i think again IMO it would look better if the tank sat completely on the frame. but havnt riden one yet that is all i can say about it.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Maybe there is a little 'anti-stock' seat bias going on here????

I've sat on the FURY - thought the seat would be fine for what the bike seemed designed for.

Probably the main thing that stuck out first for me was those .....

ORANGE TURN SIGNAL LENSES !!!!!

Install CLEAR LENSES !!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Have you actually sat on one yet? How can you criticize how it functions simply by how it looks?

Would a small block V-8 be a real enough engine for you? Honda started the cruiser displacement war with the 1800, and now if it isn't 1800 or bigger, it isn't a real engine. Have you ridden one yet to see for yourself how that 'puny' 1300 actually goes? Of course not, you haven't even sat on one.

Good Christ, you people sound just like the knot-headed HD owners (and posers) who insist if it ain't a Harley, it ain't a motorcycle.
:chill:
I was answering Hal's question, "After looking at the Fury for a while..."
Looking is done with the eyes and has NOTHING to do with SITTING ON ONE.
There's no replacement for displacement.
I'm sorry if my opinions surfaced your Napoleon complex.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

Any ideas?
Chromed wheels are a must. I don't know if I'd change the 200 as it looked pretty wide in the showroom.

·
Registered
461 Posts
License plate bracket has to go, can't see enough tire
Seat is uncomfy, for me anyway, needs a rework, I looked at the Honda optional seats and they have the same foam.
DOT turnsignals will also go
I like pretty much everything else

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
:chill:
I was answering Hal's question, "After looking at the Fury for a while..."
Looking is done with the eyes and has NOTHING to do with SITTING ON ONE.
There's no replacement for displacement.
I'm sorry if my opinions surfaced your Napoleon complex.
:roll:

You can't evaluate things like a seat, based on looks. . and without sitting on it, you really can't comment on it.

As far as displacement goes. . . I don't care if it's a car, truck, motorcycle, displacement has nothing to do with power. . you need to factor in weight of what the engine is trying to move, gearing, etc.

A 600cc crotch rocket will put pace a 1300cc cruiser. A 1000cc crotch rocket will outrun a 1800cc cruiser. hell, a 600 cc crotch rocket will embarass any car on the road (which are ballpark 1.8liters as high as 5.7ish liters). There is a replacement for displacement, it's called better gearing, less weight to move, more compession out of the motor, whatever.

I am getting real tired of this 1800 is better then life crap. . You can take my post as some form of "napoleon complex" or you can take it for what it's worth, I don't really care either way. I'm satisfied with my purchase and am tired of hearing how "underpowered" the 1300 is. Carb-ed or FI-ed, it's a decent motor (and apparently good enough to carry a new generation chopper/street custom) so any complaints as far as power go, will probably fall on deaf ears, especially as far as honda is concerned.

To answer Hal: I would say the Fury needs different signals, the ones included just don't fit the type of bike. I also would like to see a bit wider rear tire, to fit more with the street custom look. As far as power goes or rider comfort, I'd have to ride one to really comment. . I'd say for what it's designed for (barhopping, short round town, or day trips) it'd probably serve the purpose. As far as a daily commuter or travel bike, I don't think it would satisfy anyone for more then 100 miles or so in a stretch.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hmm, two rather uncivil replies to one person's opinion on the topic at hand. I wonder if another special post should be made to address the continuing lack of civility? Or is it okay since they were pro-Fury?

Why can't people just answer the question as asked by the op without trying to flame someone else's opinion? Only your opinion is allowed to be heard? How pompous is that?
I did answer the OP.
Screw this crap.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Since you asked,... (and this is just MY opinion!)

In addition to some of the other comments I've seen before mine,...

1) I would "bob" the back fender, hug it closer to the tire, and flare it out
toward the rear, kind of like a (dare I say) a HD wide-glide. Then either
tuck the license plate holder up in the flare or side-mount it.

2) I would reduce the size of the "N" looking front fender to about half
of what it is; it should be short and small like a chopper, not so long
like a cruiser fender.

3) I would prefer a Kevlar belt drive rather than the shaft to add to the
"chopper" look/feel.

4) I would like to see the unnecessarily exposed frame in front of the
tank, behind and under the tank, and near the seat, tucked in and/or
covered better for smoother, shaplier lines. Maybe shape the tank a
little better to cover some of it.

5) The black is nice. The "silver" might be OK. But the maroon, blue, and
grey,... sorry, they got to go. If I was color-picker, it would be a bright,
blazing red, and a night-lightening blue. And maybe have a couple two-
tone options.

6) The "wagon-train" looking spokes would go in favor of something with
more pizzaz, kind of a "fast-looking" twist or spin to it.

7) The big, black radiator would have to be concealed better; maybe a
little shorter? Options would be a either a chrome or a color-matched
shroud and grill.

8 ) The single-peice muffler would be separated, shortened, and perhaps
have a staggered option, with baloney-cut tips (or at least some tip
options.)

9) I am well aware of the capabilities of the FI 1300 engine, but since
Honda had the 1800 engine, there are plenty of male ego-manics (myself
included) who would rather have the 1800,... not 'cause it needs it, but
'cause it's BIGGER!!!

10) One last suggestion: don't make the same mistake as with the VTXs:
Drop the price NOW to $10,995 rather than waiting till there are hundreds
of unsold left-overs waiting around dealers two years later and selling for
$7,000 to $9,000.

All in all, it is a good concept, but needs a little more,... oh heck, I'll say
it,... if it's going to be a concept bike / chopper, then let it be a chopper!
Wth some of the comments I've seen, and for my personal preference, it
seems like it is kind-of confused - a bold, new Honda "Chopper-look" with
some left-over cruiser features still clinging on for dear life!

Good luck,... and enjoy!

BTW: Prayers for you health, Hal.

·
Registered
166 Posts
  • Replace the turn signals with LEDs - integrated into the LED tail light.
  • Replace front turn signals with LEDs integrated into mirrors.
  • Move the license plate holder down to the axle - ala Harley Nightster.
  • Color matched radiator cover.
At least that's where I'd start. Otherwise, I like the clean and simple look of the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Any ideas?
Turn Signals, Front and Rear ~ They do their job, but take away from the look of the bike. I will be looking for Signals that are pulled in tighter to the bike.

License Plate Bracket ~ Looks elcheapo [plastic] and is too long. I will drill holes in my plate to allow it to mount higher until I can find a replacement with a smaller footprint and holds the plate high or one that relocates the plate on a side mount.

Fuel Tank ~ I will be looking to expand my tank somehow *shrugs* either by modding or replacement. It has a great look but needs more capacity.

Grips ~ Need more cushion for my tender hands :p Also to absorb the minor vibration.

Sissy Bar ~ Will be adding a sissy bar with pad, as soon as I can find a tall one. The Short one Honda offers is a weee bit to short for my taste.

Seat ~ Might replace the seat in the future with on that has a little more cushion.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think I saw it mentioned but due to the vibration to the bars, I'd have to have a cruise control for longer rides.

Reminded me of my old wide glide... throttle hand numb after 40 miles.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Just my 2 cents. Seems folks want comfy seat, bigger fuel tank and bigger engine. Sounds like ya'll want a touring chopper. And I'm just curious, how many complaints about the "small" 1300 engine are coming from those who ride a VTX 1300? I do agree chromed wheels and a different shaped exhaust system as well as a lower price would make the bike more attractive.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Changes

OK, I have rode the Fury, so here are my changes:
a. 1.5" handlebars w/more pullback
b. chrome wheels
c. custom exhaust
d. detactable wide rear seat for the queen
f. 2000cc Kawasaki engine, LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts